Wednesday, March 12, 2014

5164. SUBWAY

SUBWAY
If you need to make it finish then just try
lending it a hand : help that lame guy push
his cart, try giving the blind guy, selling
umbrellas again, a hand. A few days
lost on the subway was all that kid
really needed. Dazed, confused,
looking for food and a crap.
-
As I used to read about the city, in 1962,
I never thought I'd end up there flat on my
back, like a pancake sizzled in Hell. Robert
Wagner, looking down from a post office wall,
seemed to speak small words to me  -  duty, 
get-it-done, charisma not needed. Now, now, 
yes, all of that is much different. Everyone has
to glisten like a diamond.
-
I went to Philadelphia on a raft, just
to find Blackbeard loitering anew in
Delaware Bay. I got there too late  -  
they'd captured and killed him down by
the Carolina's, and hung his head from the 
side of Spotswood's mens' ship. And 
goodbye to all that then, and over again.

No comments: