Saturday, October 19, 2013

4691. IN THAT OLD MAGAZINE

IN THAT OLD MAGAZINE
In that old magazine of time I was writing a
note  -  some blank page someone had left me;
describing a feeling, the roaming of an idea,
idle and haphazard. From where I was sitting  - 
on an old museum couch, watching people pass  - 
there was nothing more than the truth in every lost
person's eyes. Each was crying for love and perfection, 
and I really could offer both though I dare not do. Then
the matter ended itself  -  harshly enough as the guy for
the lecture stepped in. He asked me what my matter was,
and I said a game, he smiled back and then asked my name.
'Nothing more wild than that, I suppose.' was what I said to him.
And then I added, 'But you best call me Jim.' By then everyone
else was standing, some even thinking I was him. What a coarse
conundrum I'd started. I let the fellow get started at once.
-
We were talking some Minimal Art, some Heizer and Smithson
and Reiman and Arp. After a while though, it all gets so tiresome,
so dark, so weary, tendentious and vacant and loud  -  all just like
the art crowd; remember though, in that old magazine
of time I was writing a note.

No comments: