Tuesday, October 15, 2013

4681. TIRED ENOUGH?

TIRED ENOUGH?
(laurel hill cemetery)
The robin never makes its presence known
outside of its own polite circle of being. At
dawn, I can see them running  -  skittering
along the ground, too loose to fly and too
busy to stop. All so curious how they go as
the new day's light comes up.
-
I've tried to spike my fingers to the ground;
holding in abeyance any wants or doubts. It
all comes down to what you believe : the Winter
days (I well remember) with the ground so hard
with ice for days you'd never poke a hole. No
birds either. I believed the world was frozen dead.
-
I hesitate to say, but here it comes again. Or more
perhaps I mean to say there it all goes once more.
We are ending that cycle of gleeful joy when the
mouth can talk. I know what it's like to be cold.
-
At the cemetery in Philadelphia, high above
Fairmount Park, they have displayed  -  in the
administration/office/store  -  an ice casket from
days of old. On wheels, metal and wood, made to
last, this viewing-box casket which would be filled
with ice in the chamber below while, covered by a
lid of glass, the cold-chilled body was displayed.
-
Now, in this frivolous season of Halloween, instead
of all that, they're running costumed tours for visitors
of the cemetery grounds themselves. Ghoulish cadavers
walking by, I stand back to be watching them pass.

No comments: