Friday, October 25, 2013

4702. WHAT'S THE IDEA?

WHAT'S THE IDEA?
Only North Americans really care about the weather;
the rest of the world couldn't give a shit. All those Fiji
Islanders washed out to sea, you think they even noticed?
Woke up slowly, said 'my hut is gone?', and then realized
where they were. Adrift, oh far and distant atoll, like the
heart that is lost at love, like the spirit which broke all
rules and never left. Anywhere else?  Take your choice
and run with it. Your loss will be my gain?
-
One time, on 54th Street, I was nearly run down by a truck -
the old sort of occurrence: I didn't look, the driver was busy,
the truck was on the run  -  had it really hit me, I'd be dead.
As it is, it missed, and the driver came out screaming.
'Watch where you're walking, you stupid son of a bitch!'
I screamed back, 'You're sister was my mother, so she
must be the bitch you mention, asshole!'
-
I love the fun of living to the hilt; all those things with
which to play and things with which to agree : 'you
really do have a nice smile'; 'I feature your kiss on
my list of ten best'; 'the idea behind our acquaintanceship,
I always thought, was pure, unbridled lust  -  but underscored
by the form of love they write about in hymnals.'
-
You don't understand? Don't ask me 'what's the idea? again.

No comments: