Wednesday, October 16, 2013

4685. COME, RASPUTIN, COME

COME, RASPUTIN, COME
Now the periwinkles have faded, the last blue light
is in the sky, and everything before me is passing quickly.
Overcharged at a movie show  -  bad print, jumping film,
projectionist drunk in his hole. More like the wild west is this
than any Trans-Siberian Railroad ever dreamed up. They've
put the dogs in the cattle cars and now all the best seats have
cattle in them; braying, mooing, lowing bovines. Let the lights
flicker, I don't care any longer. Somehow my Austrian cigarette
is burning from the middle out. I'll pay you in Euros at the border.
-
I remember Helmut Schmidt when he lived here. I once walked
to the chemist with Ranier Fassbinder too. It was like nothing at
all, except that we were pushing his car  -  Lada, Volga, something
like that. He said he 'knew it only worked on Tuesday, Thursday
and Friday' but that he would take a chance. Nonetheless, it failed. 
So eastern was all that  -  the tired men, the fat girls, 
and Novaya Minsk too.
-
The young girl from Amsterdam is skating down the stairs, her
iceskates on her ears. She is fast, and does anything for money.
High on the avenue's window, I saw her once, looking down onto
the reddish night. So pleasing, so pleasant, the sight. I forget the
name of the street, but it meant 'Butterfly' or something like that.
-
I can go home with nothing in my pockets and you in my hands.
Or  -  I suppose  -  I can just as easily go home with my pockets 
full and my hands barren of you. Thomas Wolfe, in America, said, 
'You can't go home again.' I guess I beg to differ; I have
 two distinct ways of going. Or maybe he just meant you 
can only do it once, and not again.

No comments: