Thursday, October 10, 2013

4769. AT FRIEDLANDER STATION

AT FRIEDLANDER STATION
The hemp-rope twined itself around
the piling  -  a wood and fiber jewel  - 
while trucks rolled in drooling. The
stevedore contingent had already arrived.
'These boats to be loaded, men, are all
ours for the task.' By 8AM, the new
sun was already old.
-
I have lived with contradictions for ages  -
like the Latin words it comes from  -  'talk
against' or 'one diction in opposition'. However
you'd like it, there it is. And  -  whoops again  - 
the yellow sun is shining in the rain.
-
Young boys playing marbles by the alleyway
walls  -  the church on eleventh street with its
too-precious school and its absurd blessings  -
all of these things fight me to contradict, go
against my heart, speak foul things.
Go on, go on then, growl.
-
Another truck has just come bounding into the
yard  -  more noisy than the others, more sinful,
seemingly, than the ovenbird bums nearby. I
remember finding a dead bird at the edging, there,
with its beautiful beak : yellow/gold and long,
like a needle-point-dagger, I buried it in the
nearby soil  -  beak and all.
-
'Used for digging bugs and probing,' the bird book
said about that beak. I didn't know a thing. Now the
men are throwing bales and barrels, instants sparking
on the pavement  -  unceasing rumble and rattle and
racket. All that, it seems to me, at Friedlander Station;
used for digging bugs and probing, perhaps, in a
pure contradiction to my imagination.

No comments: