Saturday, June 22, 2019

11,854. RUDIMENTS, pt. 724

RUDIMENTS, pt. 724
(far too many assumptions made, pt. 1)
Right off the bat here, a
few things. The first one -
I always had a thing about
timing, and it seemed my
own timing was always off.
I had a friend with worse
timing than me  -  he was
always late, off by a good
segment of time, etc., but
that's not exactly the sort
of time I mean. That's for
appointments and dates. I
think I'm meaning something
deeper than that, more cosmic,
perhaps, having to do with 
living an entire life 'out of
time.' (I wonder if baseball
players ever say 'right off
the bat.' Once you hit the
ball, 'right off the bat' is 
perfect, since first base is 
to the right of the batter's 
box, and that'd be where 
you're off to as the hitter). 
In fact, in reference to 
timing, the placement of 
that sort of 'joke' was 
ill-timed too; it should
have been up at the 
beginning, but it fits 
good where it is too,
because baseball players 
often go on about 'timing'
the ball and timing their
swing, etc. It gets a little
tedious. 
-
Baseball's a funny thing; 
always has been. When I 
was a kid, early on, it was
all about baseball  -  mostly
the only sport we kept to.
Back then, young boys were
always seen scrapping around
with a baseball glove on the
handlebars of their bicycle,
every other street had a ball
field triangle lined out in some
way, for pick-up ball games : 
a rise for the pitcher's mound,
even if it was nothing really,
a strategic tree here, or a rock
in the ground there, for bases, 
etc. Most anything would do,
and boys had their ways of
choosing and getting lost for
hours playing the sport. As is
said, it (was) a timeless game,
one without clocks, one about
wide-open space and grass and
the peculiar limits of strategy,
talent, and chance. Football,
about 1960, was just in its
ascendancy with the arrival of
TV. Johnny Unitas and those
football guys slowly worked
their ways into people's homes 
and minds; but it was never the
same as baseball. Baseball was
slow, and deliberate, back then.
Football was bash and scramble,
running out clocks, escaping time
and penalties,; an admirable
brute force, but a brute force
nonetheless. Both sports had
a lot to do with, and a lot of
problems over, race, back then.
Black was the color of issue.
Until Kirk Gibson powered
that one down a little later.
Football seemed to integrate
better. There were funny things
too, in both sports, over people's
names. Americanized, slang
names, weirdly pronounced and
Anglicized names, even the
Hispanic ones, when that began.
It was always funny for me,
with football and Johnny Unitas,
seeing how it, or hearing how 
it, was pronounced. You-Nite-Is.
Weird, because in essence it's
the same word-base as 'United'
and probably should have 
sounded more like U-Neet-Ahs. 
But it never did; what American 
was going to wrap his tongue 
round that, in 1958?
-
The first sport I ever saw on TV,
at about age 8, I guess, was in some
Bayonne guy's upstairs apartment.
My father had taken me along, I
guess we were visiting, to go up
and sit with this guy and a few
others, for some televised boxing
match. They were all gung-ho
over it; maybe some bets were
involved. I didn't know the guy,
nor any of them actually, but I
sensed I didn't much like him,
just by the feel of the place. One
big, sort of empty room, it seemed
like, lit too glaringly, and the TV,
simple as it was (they were really
little back then) was pretty high
up, like 6 or 7 feet I'd guess, on 
like a column or a pedestal thing,
all by itself. Temporary, for the
bout, or not, I didn't know. There
were 3 or 4 simple chairs around,
no order, nothing fancy. Some 
guys stood, and others had seats.
They had cans of Ballantine beer.
I noticed that because, in Avenel,
our neighbor, Ralph, from Brooklyn,
still worked as a beer-chemist or
whatever it is, at the Schaefer
Brewery in Brooklyn. He went
every day, and Schaefer and
Ballantine were head-to-head
beer rivals in the NJ area, our
part of it anyway. South Jersey
had Schmidt's, from Philadelphia.
But I didn't know anything about
that. This Schaefer guy, Ralph,
was even on TV himself once. I
watched. There was a 15 minute
documentary or story or something,
on the local Brooklyn brewery, and
there was Ralph himself, doing
his day's work, in a blue science
smock thing too, with a test-tube,
supposedly measuring the beer
content for something or other.
They made it all look it very 
scientific. I guess it was.
-
There were also some breweries 
in Newark, but they all fell away,
except for the corporate Budweiser
thing. That was always big, and
is still there, like corporate 
near-beer almost now. The rest
of them, Piels and Pabst and
all, they were scattered about.
Now, by contrast (my timing
here is way off) there are craft
breweries and small-beer houses
everywhere. But, back to this
guy's room in Bayonne.  The
men watched the boxing match.
They made noises, cheered, and
groaned. They had something to
say at each break, between rounds.
No one moved, not even to pee,
for the 12 rounds, or whatever it
was. I just saw battering-ram
figures, guys on the TV, little figures
in hunched black and white, beating
the smithereens out of each other.
They each had these things in their
mouths, to protect teeth, I guessed,
and occasionally one or the other 
of those would go flying out of a 
mouth. That's when the guys
would really cheer; or when 
someone went down, or 
got back up, and went down 
again. Neither guy ever stayed 
down, so it became a 'decision' 
fight  -  no knockout, no
'technical' knock-out, which
is what it's called when the
referee cuts the fight short when
one or the other guy is about
to get slaughtered beyond
acceptance. The other boxer
would then win by  a 'technical
knock out.' I always thought 
that was funny, like life, or 
even a baseball game, when,
say, in the fourth inning the
score's already 14-1. They 
could call a 'technical go-home' 
because your team is so 
miserable we don't want to 
see the real ending. But in
baseball that never happens. 
Nor do ties (even scores). 
They just play it out and there's
always the chance, all of a
sudden by some huge resurgence
and a few home-runs and men
on and all that, the score is 
suddenly 15-14 by the end, 
and the crummy team wins!
That too could be like life,
I guess; but I always figured
the bums and hobos I'd see,
all beat and useless, around
their barrel fires and drinking
their street booze, they were
'technical knock-outs' just
still living on, past their time,
and with really bad timing too.
All the wrong assumptions get
you nowhere in the end, and
ain't that a kicker and with
far too many made.
-
This night was, by the way, the
first time I saw or realized how
my father didn't really fit in. He had
little in common with these other 
men, and I'm not sure how he'd gotten
in the mix. Maybe work, or maybe
childhood, friends, or Navy guys.
Certainly, my father was never one
of those stand up and cheer kind of
guys; he maybe had interest in
things, but to no great extent. I
don't think he had bets down. He
did drink beer, but he drank it alone,
on our front stoop. It had no social
significance for him at all, and  -
the usual way he complained about
everyone  -  made me not see him
viewing any of these men as being
exemplary. Why he'd even brought
me along was a question. So, as
it went, the fight was over, they
started playing cards, and we left.
No dirty jokes ensued, nor any
women either. My father didn't
even speak about the night. There
was another time I can remember  -
same room, and same guy too  - we
entered too say hi and he was sitting
there all by himself, with a beer. It
was a Sunday, and he was watching
a baseball game. Sports again.
-
(pt. 2 follows)






No comments: