Friday, June 14, 2019

11,837. RUDIMENTS, pt 716

RUDIMENTS, pt. 716
(a literary jumble [jungle?])
Along about 17th street at
Gramercy Park, there's an
old tavern called Pete's.
It stakes its own claim as
New York's oldest, etc., and
the claims go back and forth  -
McSorley's, and others, and
the fact of the matter is it
doesn't matter one whit. There
are no 'starting points' for
anything like that and it just
all turns out being stupid, and
mostly publicity for the lame
sake of having publicity and
drawing the rubes in. The only
thing old about it is it's all an
old story, and it reads tiresomely.
Over at Pete's they lay claim
to a New York writer, William
Henry Porter, famous guy, who
made his mark as the writer with
the name O. Henry. (1862-1910).
Their claim is that he wrote many
of his stories right there, sitting
at one of their tables, with drink
in hand. Maybe so. Whatever.
His stories always revolved
around a little twist of irony at
the end  -  they never much held
my interest, but they're there.
I did, on the other hand, a lot of
study and work, at one point, with
Chaucer and 'Canterbury Tales.'
Much digging and reading into
an oftentimes maliciously
unheartening Olde English.
If that's what it was. Anyway,
an amazing cross-over happened
along the way  -  inasmuch as
one day I was working my way
through a Chaucer study, something
by William Frost, and the two
banged heads : O. Henry and
Chaucer; which was cool but
didn't matter. I don't mean,
by the way, that they conflicted
or were in some antagonistic
relationship. Rather, something
that O. Henry said, and it was
then turned towards Chaucer,
seemed a better fit, in my eyes,
for the work I myself was then
a'borning : "In recent times, O.
Henry remarked that the true
technique of narrative was to
catch your reader's interest at
the start, (when he could not
choose but hear) to subject him
to an extended barrage of your
own opinions about irrelevant
subjects before continuing with
the plot.' I always thought that
was pretty cool, and that it was,
in turn, a fairly apt summation
of a process of drawing a reader
in. Perhaps it was more difficult
back then; phrase it as easier. A
lot depended on oral stuff, being'
heard (aural too), and most
people were illiterate. It's still
like that, though people now are
illiterate in completely different
ways, and fashionable about it
too The oral/aural has won out,
rules the days, and people have
oral fixations of every sort now
too, running the gamut of restaurant
oral-dining and blabbing, to the
plain oral crud of junk-talk, like
talking to your yellow-cab tax;
guy,; I don't know anything
about Uber and Lyft. Two of
stupidest business names I've
ever seen (or heard, okay?)...
-
I always had fun with words too  -
like, it says here, 'Chaucer was born
in the early 1340's and died, according
to his tombstone (?) in 1400. His
parents were prosperous wine
merchants in southern England,
and his career and post led to a
position of high civil servant and
a marriage into the ducal household
of  John of Gaunt.' I always wished
to re-write that along the lines of
his parents being preposterous
wine merchants only when in the
south of England, and he being a
member of the household of John
of Gaunt  - which was a household
in which there was very little food.
-
One time in the seminary I noticed
a guy reading early English satirists.
It caught my eye -  I'd never known
about them before. Fielding, and
some others I can only faintly recall
Two guys names were together, like
a writing team. Maybe it'll come to
me, and I'll put it down here. (Not
Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern, of
course; but the same sort of feel to
the words)*. I watched with some
fascination, and then when I myself
began reading these things, to see
what was up, they bored me stiff.
(That's kind of a too-active voice
for what I mean to say. In actuality,
'I was bored stiff' is better, since
they had little to do with it, other
than 'having written it....That's
all a curious sidebar). I guess if
you have to call anyone a satirist,
Laurence Sterne comes best to the
fore from that era. Spectacular,
almost crazy  -  for sure the first
'novel,' I'd say. It used to fascinate
me how he took all this jumbled
crap together and made it (sort of)
do something, as a read. There
are blank pages, and black pages,
in the book. It was the first time
anyone had taken words and
ideas, zany and jumbled as they
may have been, and made a
singular narrative of them, and
one headed somewhere and with
discernible, worked over, characters.
As good as it all was, it too was
tedious, but there were lessons in
that to be drawn and examined.
When I carefully first read it,
it was as if I'd walked straight
into a terrible maelstrom. It
actually (almost) angered me
with what seemed to be useless
flights of fancy in the sense
of digression and discursive
flights to nowhere except the
whims of an author intent on
confounding a reader and
being a scoundrel too. But
then I realized enough that the
time and the place of all this
is bettered and made even more
startling by considering the
years in which it was written.
It (the book) was not cohesive,
it fragmented, it was foul, some,
and  -  most certainly and once
and for all  -  it broke that
invisible barrier of linear time
and sequential delivery and the
blase tortures of form and logic
by which its own world had and
was being built. It was a rude, lousy
shout out to the glory of exclusion,
revolt, and subjectivity. None of
them being qualities of the supposed
'Age of Reason' to be sure, and
anyway, around it all the world
really was falling apart. William
Blake and Laurence Sterne could
probably have happily walked in
friendship for a whale of a trek.
-
I would bleat while reading this,
pent up in a hole in some brick
seminary tomb, a logic of reason
and thought erected completely from
another direction, but one spoken of
as never to be challenged or refuted.
Here we had : Virgin birth, angelic
Annunciations, miracles and
transformations, quips and comments
related as confusing parables and
called holy writ, men bonding -
and as  itinerant vagabonds loyal
only to each other, and war with
the powers that be, and the people
of their own ilk, voices, mobs,
secrets, superiorities, levels of
elitists intent on branding all
things their own way  -  in fact,
everything but humor, which, by
contrast, Shandy had in buckets. My
small personal prison was never
more apparent than when I was
looking out through those bars.
-
I'd walk the New York streets
and be thinking about this stuff  -
as I passed the locked gates of
Gramercy Park (only the
adjacent tenants and landowners
are allowed key and entry). It
was very strange to me  - the
wonderful area of the Stuyvesant
park grounds (even if they weren't
that 'wonderful' then  except for
litter, trash, needles and junkies-
who-dozed) trying to put myself
in place there as William Blake or
Laurence Sterne, either one would
do. Right there, along the Gramercy
face, Pete's Tavern at its corner and
all the crazy stories of people and
activity I'd keep hearing of and/or
witness  -  none of it really mattered
but if O. Henry had been in there
writing too, I'd have introduced him
to my 'guests' for sure. At Numbers
3 and 4, Albert Grossman, Bob Dylan,
and some weirded out, endrugged
frenzy bespeaking the 1960's versions
of their worst nightmares. Tristram
Shandy indeed. The shibboleth there
would be, maybe, idiocy.
-
So, what was my blot? Where was I?
I'd transformed myself by then in so
many ways all my mirrors had left
home. There were no mirrors, and
there was no home, but that fact is
inconsequential to the power of
creation, to which all other things
soon become subservient. So, there
was O. Henry. I'd just slipped back
any number of years and I went
right up to him and said : 'Still
working on 'Last Leaf,' are you?
(1907).
-
Take six months, give yourself
plenty of time, and a clear, conscious
head, and read 'The Life and Times
of Tristram Shandy' by Laurence Sterne.

*Addison and Steele; The Tattler?





No comments: