Thursday, June 20, 2019

11,849. RUDIMENTS, pt. 722

RUDIMENTS, pt. 722
(breath easy / rest hard)
There was a time that I went
through a Houdini stage of my
very young days. It may have 
been in the year or two after 
the train wreck. I didn't know
much about Harry Houdini, 
just the basic stuff I'd gleaned 
from kids' books at the local
library. I remember spending
inordinate amounts of time
trying to see how long I could
go without breathing. I don't
mean exactly 'holding my breath,'
which I guess is one thing, by
procedure; I mean more just
stopping breathing. A bit like
being dead; just going off-air.
I try it now, and I'm about 
dead in 14 seconds. Yet, back
then I seem to remember passing
the minute mark, even half that
again. Maybe. Or maybe it's my
mind, with a trick. A minute and
a half doesn't sound like much?
Try it. The major theme of Houdini
wasn't about holding one's breath
anyway, but to work out of locks
and shackles, while underwater
in a tub; with quick skill. One 
certainly needs all the excess 
lung capacity obtainable there;
thus the breath fascination.
As I see it now, even if I'm
already failing at 14 seconds,
it's more fear than it is anything
else. There's a more mature
mind pushing the irrational; how
empty that dead halt seems, no
air, no sound either (they seem 
to run together). It takes me 
right out of body. Very strange. 
To be so cognizant of not 
breathing is almost like 
looking back to watch 
yourself die.
-
And then I woke up. Yep, in
the sense that  -  Harry Houdini
or not  -  there was no escape.
I could hold my breath for a 
year and probably still be alive.
I was a tenant, in this place,
this 'Avenel,' this pre-formed
configuration of space and time.
So many things around me just
seemed to work against me. I 
think that the predilection of
'Life' is for its efforts to go
more into stopping a person
than it is for advancing a
person along. Life doesn't really
was for you to escape the big
fire conflagration underway.
'Listen to your betters,' it
says. 'Buck not, lest you be
bucked.' Along those lines.
I always did contrarian things,
of which mostly others would
be aghast  -  walking the tracks,
crossing them,  trespassing,
ruining things. It all sure seemed
like anti-establishment stuff,
but really it was just anarchy.
Dumb kids get that way; they
aren't pushing limits, because
they don't realize there are any.
Take it from me.
-
There's a place around here
called Bunns Lane. It's been
around forever, anyway like 
the late 1950's. In a big city
they'd have been called the 
'projects' but here they never
were. They were used basically 
as another tap-root for the big
tree of graft and corruption that
always goes on. A few people
here too did jail time, the Housing
Authority chief and a  few others.
They got found out, like, invoicing
over and over for refrigerators and
things, at inflated prices, and
finagling around the paperwork
and all to rake it all in. Junk like
that happens always  -  small
town minds think small. In big
towns they do it too, but on a
bigger scale. Same small idiots
and their small thoughts, just
a larger milk-wagon to drink 
from. So, this one here, Bunns
Lane, after all these years, had
been torn down, in stages, and 
still going on, and newer versions
immediately erected and all the
same people get placed back in,
into brand-new places the envy
of the rest of the township's
poor folk. I don't care about that,
and that's not the point I'm making.
For me here now, it's the roadway.
It's been all torn up for months,
patched and cut and dug and 
patched again. You can't go
fast there, even if you wanted 
to. I've driven it a hundred 
times probably in 8 or 9
months, and I realize now the
solution it affords. A real
money saver. Of course, no
one ever tries 'saving' money,
so the idea's about as dead as
a condom in a maternity ward,
but  -  they pave all these roads,
endless man-hours and machinery.
Smooth and fast, painted with
new lines, turn lanes, and the
rest. People drive it. Fast.
Because it's new and it's smooth,
etc. Then, since that happens,
they roll through with 'speed
bumps' to slow people down.
Really slow them down. I
wonder, why don't they just 
let them be, like Bunns Lane,
bumpy and decrepit and in
disrepair, so that the best you
can do is like 12 mph using
any good sense. Maybe 20,
if you're crazy. Think of all
the money that could be saved
by not paving for speed and
then having to slow it all down
again. Just freakin' leave it,
and the slow happens for free.
Living on a rutted and bumpy
road, I've found, 'humanizes'
you very quickly, and you're the
better for it.  Probably too much 
for those little Muni-dweebs 
to think about.
-
I spent many a night in New 
York City, up. Not sleeping.
I was either out walking, or
hunkered down, reading, in 
my cool basement hideaway
room in the Studio School.
I devoured many a volume of
forgotten lore down there. 
(That's a Poe reference, yeah).
Nights go quickly when you
pay them no attention, and lots
of times all of a sudden it was
morning again of the next day.
That got confusing. You run 
on ahead of yourself that way, 
losing track of what day it is, 
and when was what, and all 
the rest. There weren't any 
appointments or things on a
schedule to worry about. It
took  me a long time to again 
reach that point in life. After a
seeming lifetime of doing the
bidding of others, it comes as
a shock that 'it's all yours again.'
Someone should write that up 
some. Good story there. If you
ever do get out into a city night,
you see a lot of real characters,
and things too. There's a particular
sort that comes out at night, let's
call it 'crepuscular'  -  like  the
Theolonious Monk tune, With
Nellie, or whoever. Half-light
and all its destinations: The
drive-by-night truckmen, 
banging'and smashing their
freight around, taking smokes
while they wait for receiving
crews; buying something to eat
in some crazy all-night dive;
checking out the hookers and
divers who seem to end up
everywhere at certain hours
The old waitress types, florid
and decorative, going on and 
on about themselves, talking 
about ideas and reams, doing
puzzles with the same pencil
they take your order. Everyone
talks, but no one says much of
anything. Common currency.
Wars and rumors of war.











No comments: