Thursday, June 6, 2019

11,816. RUDIMENTS, pt. 708

RUDIMENTS, pt. 708
(you want something to laugh at?)
When I was a kid, and when
anyone ever brought up that
old 'kids' thing' about the genie
and the magic lantern that you
rub, and three wishes  -  I must
have heard that shtick about
300 hundred times  -  it was
always the same. Some fool
would want a thousand candy
bars and a new car and a big
house to live in. Another kid
would want to be a baseball star,
live in Hawaii, and marry some
bombshell wife. You get the idea.
I used to sit there and just shake
my head wondering how they
could miss the point of the entire
exercise: Ask for whatever stupid
slob things you wanted, for the
first two, if you must, but when
you get to the third, just continue 
to ask, each time, for ten more
wishes, or a hundred, or a
thousand. Or, heck, just forget
the idea of three at all and just
go ahead and ask right out for
unlimited wishes. According
to the story, you'd get them.
It was all up  to the 'asker' at
that point; the third wish being
the key. I determined; but I guess
no one ever saw it that way, or they
were too engrossed in the gamer
aspects of the entire premise.
-
It's laughable, in light of society
and all the fights over religion
and philosophy and atheism and
ethics, and all that 'God is Dead'
stuff, that when you come right
down to it, Holy Saturday is
really the only full day the
Nietszcheans and Christians
can both agree that 'God is
dead'. I read that once somewhere
and thought that was pretty good;
even if it only lasts a little over
24 hours  -  that agreement.
When you lift that big, black,
judgmental cloud off the world,
it can almost be seen as not so
bad a place. For a few hours also.
Every wish was sort of a church
in itself  -  without doctrine and
rules, and certainly nothing you
could drag into St. Andrew's for
cathechism and not get your head
handed to you by some visiting
nurse...I mean, Nun.
-
Ah, whatever. I always tried
to leave a cushion for failure
around  me, a sort of psychological
soft pad for the crash. The best way
of doing that  -  besides simply
remaining correct  -  was to remain
aloof. Some of the Studio School
people were like that too, but for
them it came from the other direction.
They could remain aloof because
they had no needs, and everything
was already in order. I was like that
Linus kid or whoever it was in
Charley Brown who always had
some sort of blanket or something
that he held to, for security; security
being nothing but a reference from
which the messed-up person can
draw the needed stability and
centeredness.
-
It's funny for me to see a Charley
Brown reference, and one used by
me. (I always figured I was more
the Pig Pen type, that cartoon kid
with dirt always flying off around
him). It's difficult to imagine now,
so many things have changed, but
back in the late 60's that Charles
Schulz guy and his Charley Brown
(or was it 'Charlie'  -  yes it was),
comics were a really big and steady
thing. Seemed as if they were
everywhere, symbols of product,
references, daily comics. People
you'd never expect put a lot of
daily effort into keeping up each
morning with the day's strip,
somewhere, wherever they got it.
I had one friend who was sunk
into it, the whole routine  -  Linus,
the girl there, whatever her name
was, the dog, and all those routines.
I myself never liked it  -  like the
Disney stuff, I found it to be trite,
misleading, too happy, off-key,
and accident of any of the real
issues of the day. Maybe if
Staff Sergeant C. Brown was
portrayed returning from Vietnam,
with one eye, and an arm blown off,
perhaps then I'd have paid him and
it some mind. Otherwise, it was
all just prattle. I never knew why
people had to make characters and
make light of everything all the
time. The world was, for the most
part, a miserable place, and it 
seemed to me that the most
deserving thing you could do 
would be to face that off, for 
real, and not play stupid cartoon 
games. Like Bill Cosby too, and
all his Fat Albert crap. Look where
it got him. The Wizard of Oz,
behind Cosby's curtain, was a
God-awful creep.
-
We grow up  -  everyone does  -
with stuff like that crawling all
around us. The same kind of Gulf
Of Tonkin lying political BS that
killed your brother or you uncle.
And you want something to 
laugh at, still?
-
One time some guy on the
train came at me because I'd
motioned for him to pipe down
a little. He was really loud and
obnoxious  -  not a ghetto guy or
any of that. He was muscular, short,
taut, dressed OK casual, like some
office clerk type. He jumped up, came
right at me, followed me off the train,
haranguing me and then taking
that same harangue to another guy
who come over to the scene and added
his two cents against this guy's
noise and behavior. I admit, I
was frightened, because the guy
was off the deep end, cranked up
on something, and liable to do
anything  -  and he kept challenging
us to make a move. Inexplicably,
he was calling the other guy, (bigger,
taller) out for being a white bastard.
He'd already called me a long-haired 
faggot about three times. "And what are 
you gonna' do about it mother-fuckers?
Nothing. I thought so. I'm a cop, so I
can do whatever I want and you can't
do a thing about it. I don't care about 
any rules, they don't apply to me. I 
can do whatever I want, and I do. I 
make my  money protecting scum
bastards like you. I'm a fucking cop,
if you want I can ruin your day, for 
two hours or five, your choice, I'll 
pile you with paperwork, let's go 
right now; which do you want?
another word and I'll pull you both
in, let's go, c'mon let's go." He was
belligerent for sure, and we were
in the middle of a real problem. (I
found out long ago that NJTransit
'Quiet Car' designations are an
unenforced crock); the other guy
said: "You're not a cop, a cop
wouldn't act this way. I've got time,
 OK, let's go." The fake cop guy
walked off, huffy, loud, and still
hot. It was a tripwire scene, and
had it gone just a hair off-kilter,
anything could have happened.
It seemed like, back to that magic
lantern thing, that somehow this
one had produced, in error, a
surely evil genie.



No comments: