Tuesday, June 4, 2019

11,814. RUDIMENTS, pt. 707

RUDIMENTS,  pt. 707
(good for a chuckle)
'I will take you to the
quitting bar, with fair
and advance notice.'
That was a sort of
mental motto that I
kept to myself, except
I never really knew what
it meant; something to
do with letting others
know when I was going
to be done with them.
In the same way
philosophers seem to
formulate what it is
they think makes others
'Happy' - so I was going
after what made me happy.
A form of selfishness,
I suppose; which I've
always thought is worthwhile.
Today, when I look back
on things, I get amazed at
how young I really was
when I had already started
all this weird scheming. If
my chart were being kept by
a doctor, my mad-values
would, early-on, have
already been off the chart.
-
Lots of times people just got
me all wrong. A complete
mis-reading. Maybe I was just
a good charlatan. I never lied
so I can't exactly blame myself,
but it's been more than a few
times that I've been verbally
set-at by people who've made
the assumption that I was from
privilege, a 'trust-fund-baby'
snob, a creature of entitlement.
I'm not that at all, and was
always a meager, low-grade-
level poverty kid whose father, I
well recall, came home weekly
with a one hundred and twenty-
five dollar cash pay envelope.
High-living to them (my parents)
was a few extra television channels,
and color! And by leaving when
I did, I essentially afforded myself
chances at not much more than
that  -  living by subsistence-means
became good enough for me. Once
any person gets started at that, he
or she learns quickly enough that
it's easy to get by within, and the
lack of things isn't really so bad.
Even in Princeton  -  cloud of
icy privilege that the town is, I
was mostly taken for one of
them; which is completely
bonkers. I never posed; just
mostly kept quiet, except
when I didn't, and that mostly
just get me into trouble. The
problem is, really, how do
you approach the come-down?
Do you just start out telling
people, 'Look, it's not what
you think; I'm really just a
creep  -  in fact, George Romero
got all his ideas from seeing
me.' (I think that's a Night
Of the Living Dead workable
crack). It was all I could do to
leave a Princeton tip without
wailing over it. When money's
scarce, it's hard to just  throw it
away, and I never 'asked' for
all that service anyway.
-
It was as if someone introduced
himself to me and said 'Hello,
my name's John Quark,' and I
replied, 'Charmed, I'm sure...'
That's how mixed-up bizarre
my whole world got to be. My
resultant tangle was something
that no one should ever have
had to deal with; but people have
to work so I had to go somewhere,
I suppose. I was more sorry to
bother those poor souls than
they were to have to deal with
me. Anyway, real understandings
were never met. You say potato;
I say green onion. Existentially, 
I should just have been left 
alone, because that was my 
deed, my 'act' of choice was 
to simply define myself by 
myself  -  remember, I said
earlier that I favored selfishness  
-  because it's the only thing 
that works, and works right, 
and also because, when you
come right down to it, altruism
sucks, and doing things for 
others all the time, or at least 
proclaiming so, is, at the end 
of all things, a big, blatant 
and boring lie. In Princeton
they 'proclaimed' for a lot of
stuff  -  sending books to
prisoners, proclaiming injustice
and the innocence of the guilty, 
the righteousness of any
chosen cause, and, all the while,
they had it all anyway. 'Before I
leave here, can I get a side order
or Moral Superiority to go?'
Trust-buster fund babies? Not.
-
Back in the seminary  -  long 
time ago, and we were just 
kids  -  there was a guy there 
with me, his name was Ed 
Adams. Eddie Adams, he
was called. He was an OK 
guy, I liked him; I think he 
was from Trenton or some 
area around there. One time, 
during some oral-report
thing was all doing, he read 
off a citation list, for the work 
he'd done, the sources he'd 
used, and more than a few of 
them were 'Reader's Digest.'
I forget the incidentals, nor 
do I know how more than 
one reference to Reader's 
Digest could get in as  a 
'source' since their articles 
ranged all over the place, 
had no distinguishing
subject-unity, were not 
'themed,' and certainly had 
no intellectual reliability.
But, in any case, poor Eddie 
was pretty much laughed 
off the floor for that breach 
of scholarly etiquette. His
use of Reader's Digest as a
source was considered to be
laughable. He took it like a
man, or teen-boy, whatever,
and it all ended up OK but
I always held it up for Eddie
having withstood that crap  -
a bunch of wheezers laughing
someone else off. Back then,
whatever it was, '63, '64, '65,
I don't remember, there was
a stylish vogue for Ayn Rand.
I'd never much heard of her,
and when I did I didn't much
care. Never much liked her,
not even her 'looks,' enough
to get involved. She was 
eagle-like, seemed stern, hard, 
harsh, and without humor.
Funny thing was, part of her 
ideas went by the name
'Selfishness.' Which was 
weird to me at that stage  -  
Ed Adams was a big fan 
of hers and her work, so I
have to hand it back to him
for  -  way back then  -  showing
me something new. So, anyway,
Ed got laughed out of court, by
a bunch of Lord Of the Flies
type proto-religious tyrants, 
and one day, years later, maybe 
1970, I see Eddie crossing the 
campus of Princeton University. 
Son of a gun, I figured, he had 
made it in, got to his own big 
time, and probably never again 
(or, maybe still does) read the 
Reader's Digest. For anything 
perhaps but my favorite part,
'Laughter, the Best Medicine.'
It may not be good as source
material and reference matter,
but it's good for a chuckle.
Or was.


No comments: