Tuesday, June 18, 2019

11,846. RUDIMENTS, pt. 720

RUDIMENTS, pt. 720
(a finger into the.....wind?) pt. 3
So, I never knew my real
mother and father  -  that's
how it felt anyway. My
mother would call me a
name which I never at first
even had a clue about: It
began as...'So who are you?
Ish Kabbible?' and then
just fell out to simply Ish
Kabbible. It was a young
kid gag, and I just went
with it. She also said, a
lot, with some incredulous
voice she put on : 'I like
me, who do you like?' -
which was her signal to
me that I was getting too
big for my britches. As it
turns out, there was an Ish
Kabbible, oddly enough, a
kind of funny guy, gag man,
clumsy lout. He had a career
of that. I didn't often know
where she sourced her material
from. As a kid, she was in some
sort of rickets and rheumatic
fever kids' camp for Summers,
in a place called Hibernia, NJ.
maybe it was part Vaudeville
Circuit too. Funny, isn't is,
how, as a kid, you learn things,
hear things, etc., and they all
stick, without any meaning.
Once you reach the point
where you can maybe apply
the meaning, they've become
things you can't recall.
-
What you can't recall, you
make up. How's that? And 
that brings me to this: I have 
something more to give you.
My collection of gold goblets 
filled with words is  -  I'm 
sorry to say  -  coming your
way. Down in the swamps
there, where Mrs. Gasperi 
and her son lived (she was
a local substitute teacher,
often around), there were also
a few remnants of Indian
families  -  American Indians,
not the South Asians of
today's Gujurat influx, nor
the Paki's of Panundrustam
either. These were a few
leftovers, living quietly and
silently, in a few squalid sort
of old homes out in the wooded
areas of the fens and swamps.
My friend learned to drive
in those areas, with his father
(and me along once or twice)
in their '57 Chevy. It was kind
of the place of choice to teach
your kid to drive, even though
there's no difference between
a dent there and a dent anywhere
else  -  like from hitting a tree
or a tree stump. This particular
Chevy was a base model, three
speed on the column, lots of
bucking and jumping, at first.
I guess he did eventually catch
on. I can't remember, except
I can't recall any crashes either.
The car was never crashed, nor
did anything ever drip from the
oil pan, so I guess it all went
OK. problem was, I'm not real
sure if my friend ever really got
'road-worthy' from just that one
bit of training. But, in any case,
like Indians on a reservation,
those local natives never much
budged. One or two of them
were paper-route stops, out in 
the fens, for the Star-Ledger 
(a Newark paper back then, 
not really local at all. My own
father used to say, 'Why would I
read that? I don't live in Newark.
He read the local junk paper, in
its few variations over time as
the Perth Amboy Evening News,
the Perth Amboy News-Tribune,
then simply The News-Tribune,
the the Home-News Tribune, and
lastly, the Home News. Funniest
part was, on Sundays my father
would suddenly become a global
citizen of the world or something,
and buy the Sunday Daily News.
Big reaching-out that must have
been, for him). Those far-flung
few houses, with the Indians, we
called the 'Way-Outs.' No name,
just the Way-Outs, because they
were a farther trip afield than
the rest. Never words spoken,
just the knock on the door, and,
every few weeks, the needed
payment to keep it going. I
never saw any of the Indian
kids in school, and I don't
know what the deal was. Paul
Gasperi, on the other hand, was
always around, and seemed 
sheltered.
-
I'm not aware that any of them
knew about the concentration 
camp, or the prison for Reds.
The word hardly even made it
up to Inman Avenue. I think
a lot of it was government 
concealment. My father for a 
while, about 1957 or '58, was 
a VP and an active member of 
the local First-Aid Squad, on
Avenel Street. He'd tell of the
calls sometimes  -  like the
stabbings and beating over at
Rahway Prison, just past the 
tracks, calls to which they 
answered because even though 
the name said Rahway, it was 
really Avenel, and, after some 
years of squabble, in the 
McGreevey era, they just
changed the whole mess to 
'East Jersey State Prison,' and
of course, even though it was
'official' with signs and all,
that name never stuck and it's
still called Rahway Prison by
real people. Maybe just not by
the river-rats in the two town
halls  -  who have nothing better
to do except go to the bank, and
squabble over such things, as 
all around the area of the prison
they turn the lands to further shit.
Now the way they have it, if you
have one of those weird kids, 
instead of putting him or her
in that State School (closed up),
you can get a Government-sponsored
subsidized apartment for you and
your ward and have a nice view
of cellblock 29! Right across
the street! Well, Hell, that
oughta' do it for you and
the kid.
-
That whole area's a mess now.
Kind of unconscionable, but they
don't know the difference. A
politician's just a rat in people
clothing  -  taking people's money,
spreading it around to everywhere
else in the usual unofficial scam
practice of buying votes, which 
is all it all is when you come right
down to it. In my Biker days, I
used to deal with Frank Pallone.
He's a really deadbeat political cog
who would occasionally pander
even to motorcycle people in their
quest to get helmet laws repealed
(NJ failed. Pennsylvania was
successful  -  go into Pennsylvania
someday and watch all the cool
bikers with no helmet. Like we had
here, until 1967 when the safety
homos started making everything
mandatory, as if a person couldn't
think for their own self). Whenever
we had a 'BikePac' donation for him,
he'd show up greedily and have a
few of us meet him at the Metuchen
Post Office, where he could be
visible 'meeting' with his constituents,
(but not too visible, with us), and
answering people's questions, in a 
general 'meet and greet' format, with
us there and soon so forgotten.
That stuff is all part of any
politician's scam  - even the local,
low-life ones who claim they're not
'politicians,' but who jam your finger
for you, into your own butt, and
then tell you, "Go ahead! It smells 
so good!' Yep, that's how they have
things now. Even the McCarthy era
internment camp in the old swamps
was and is a fuzzy notion that I
sometimes think I dreamed, but 
the old record books attest to the
passage off bodies, forms, and
souls all through there. Like the
buffaloes I mentioned a few
chapters back, at the old buffalo
farm that the seminary used to be  - 
it's hard to believe, but it was there.
-
Did you know that buffalo (bison)
never walk their distances  -  and
they do long distances  -  in a straight
line? They can't. The way their eyes
protrude, off, out from their head, 
they see actually less 'straight ahead'
than really more like two different 
views of left and right. So they walk
with the head cocked a bit, one eye
trying to see ahead, the other raked
at sort of a rear/left or rear/right
angle, and they compensate for that
by walking someways leftward, and 
then some ways rightward, all the
while watching from predators, 
hunters, men who'd kill them (they
went down by the thousands, for
years, right up until the stupid
white man had them just about
wiped out). "From where their
eyes are situated in their head, 
they cannot see directly in front, 
but neither can they look backward
on account of their immense, shaggy
shoulder." (George Catlin). So, 
their path is never  straight. Yet, 
it was always considered the best 
path; 'If you want to get anywhere, 
find a buffalo path, and take it.'
One thing that amazed me too, 
was that all my learning had taught
me that most of America's early
wagon paths and then roads, and
then highways, had mostly
originated as early Indian paths.
That always made sense to me, 
and I left it at that. Then I found 
out  -  those Indian trails? They'd
all first been buffalo trails, which
the Indians watched and traversed
very carefully. Lastly, this all sort
of has to do with local politics, if 
you figure eyes that can't focus,
and eyes that look left, and right,
to find 'direction', like that swanky
politician's gay finger in the wind.
Speaking of which wind, the buffalo
walked  - at ALL times  -  into the 
wind. They didn't check the wind 
first and then go they the wind 
was going. A buffalo  -  singly or
in a herd  -   walked INTO the 
wind  -  so it could smell the 
danger, smell the hunter, smell 
the white man, and, smell water, 
which they could smell miles 
away. And as that wind shifted,
they shifted with it, even if it
brought them right back to where
they'd been, more or less. The
pathways of the bison were
odd, for sure.
-
last of pts. 1, 2, and 3







No comments: