Thursday, June 20, 2019

11,850. WORKED THROUGH A DREAM

WORKED THROUGH A DREAM
I could have worked through a dream,
had I been dreaming  -  but, alas, I was
not. Is this real life? Is this a fantasy?
(As some song went). Instead, I just
clapped to the beat of the memory.
-
Everything else seemed in order.
The girl across the street still had
her tangerines out, on the sill. The
same two black cars were there as
were there yesterday. Time for the
library for me again.
-
When my mother had two parakeets,
and later, one canary, she was always
talking about 'cuttlebones.' I never
got it right, until, turned out, they
were those flat, chalky, things she
said the birds would rub their beaks
upon, after she hung them in the cage.
I used to watch after that : Turned
out she was pretty much correct.

No comments: