Wednesday, June 12, 2019

11,833. LIFE LIVED AT RANDOM

LIFE LIVED AT RANDOM
The pepperman was staked to his
game; I'd put up the 40-buck ante
for him. Now all he had to do was
sit down but all he wanted to do
was play pool. 'My very slick
condescender, that's not so cool.'
I had to tell him that, not even
knowing what it meant, those
words I'd just made up. If it had
been, instead, 1960, I may have
said, Hey, daddio, get your 
hepcat black ass off the table 
and come here.' Well, maybe. 
-
Back then you had to be really
careful anyway; like the time
James Baldwin and that other
guy got nearly beat to death at
The White Horse, for sitting
at a table with two white girls.
Two Italian locals didn't like
what they saw when they 
passed by on the way to the
men's room (or as they say in
Italian, 'Balderoni toiletrini').
They never even realized those
two dukes were gay.

No comments: