Wednesday, June 12, 2019

11,831. RUDIMENTS, pt. 714

RUDIMENTS, pt. 714
(who was to turn my pages?)
In a previous chapter, three or
four back, I made mention of
arriving at the seminary to see
those guys out back, at work
in the sun, laying pipes and
digging a ditch. It was much 
like the southern chain gangs
I'd learn about some time later,
the prisoners chained, the guards
watching them, rifles in hand.
Of course it bore no true fact
of that, but I connected the two
once I learned about them. My
first 'Freshman' dorm roommate,
of which there were about 6,
meaning 5 plus me  -  it was a
barracks like setting, not much
at all in the way of amenities -
was David Kane, a guy from, as
I recall, and I could be wrong,
Wilmington, Delaware. David
for some reason soon became the
butt of a lot of tweedling humor,
jokes, etc. I never knew why,
except that he was quiet. I kept
out of all that, and always felt bad
a bit for David, though even we 
two never really became friends. 
I used to figure perhaps being
from Delaware, maybe, had 
something to do with it. Delaware
meant nothing to me, I'd had no
exposure to it as a place, at all.
I heard it was tomatoes and dirt
roads, crumbling farms and sheds.
In all other respects, David was
normal  -  clumsier than most,
not very athletic. Maybe that
went into it. A lot of these goofy
seminary guys took an undue
interest in sports. It was only a
few days after that when every
other person seemed to start 
rolling in. And then the big 
surprise  -  late by a few days,
and after we'd all thought the 
room was settled, this guy from
Italy rolls in; some Italian name
that I really can't recall  -  Louie,
Luigi, Salvatore, Antonio. I
don't know. He was from Italy,
straight through, and came in
like gangbusters, language and
accent and all. As it ended up, he
only lasted about three weeks, 
maybe a little more, and was
gone. Maybe it was less than
three; I can't say. But the
cool thing was  -  in the little
dresser that we each got, along
with some closet space and room
for our trunk  - while the rest
of us had socks and underwear,
say, in the top drawer - this guy,
I'll call him Louie, kept a supply
of salami! I kid you not, the
loaf-sized thing of salami, like
a deli has hanging, or a meat
market. He kept 4 or 5 of them,
and they smelled garlicky enough
too. The smell sort of permeated
the room, if you concentrated on
finding it, along with the usual mess
of boys' sweat socks, gym clothes,
sneakers, and the rest. I don't think 
he knew much about any of that,
but he sure knew his salami. I
never saw him eating any of it,
but I was told he sliced pieces off
at will, and chomped. I also seem 
to remember (this may be fanciful)
the big joke around of him also
receiving a re-supply of salami
by mail, once. If that means 3
weeks, OK  -  I guess that would 
or could be a salami a week or so.
-
Some of this gets all hazy, and 
I can never figure out why that
happens. It was, after all, my own
life and events that I lived, as
young as I may have been. But,
in some way, it's all there, just
needing to be smoked out. Parts
of it may overlap, who knows.
Like the mix-up of the years. I'm
certain I recall the first year dorm
thing being the barracks-like set up,
and then the second year getting it
all moved to the 'better' building,
some three-story, federal-style,
heap of bricks, with even larger
group-rooms and metal beds,
almost medical-looking, all
in rows. There was a group
bathroom with like ten sinks,
all connected in a row, mirrors,
showers, stalls, toilets, all that
crud. That was pretty miserable;
a bunch of boys, all about the
same age, but each advancing
differently along the road to
'maturity,' as they'd put it I guess.
It wasn't too cool to have to see.
(Speaking of salami?) Bad joke,
Mr. Writer. Some guys had to
shave, or got into shaving. Others
still had the smoothest skin this
side of a Breck girl. Some fussed
and finagled over themselves,
like Breck girls too, and others,
like me, managed with the most 
cursory swab of nothing but fast.
I hated all that grooming and care
crap  -  never paid it any mind, and
didn't ever care. There was this
one guy, John Banko (died in
prison way later, as a priest 
who'd abused boys, believe it
or not. You can look it up), he
hung around the gym area, and
the dorm area too, always had
his little towel and soap, going
to or from the showers. Probably
three times a day. The guy used
to creep me out, he'd always say,
headed to the showers, 'You know
what they say, 'clean body, clean
mind.' What an ass he was. One
time, I was his page-turner and
assistant and understudy for the
musical accompaniment on the
organ (Hey! don't laugh. I mean
the instrument, like a keyboard),
for one of the theater productions we
were putting on  -  live background
music, etc. In the dark of the theater,
the organist had only the little music
lamp for illumination and I had to 
sit on the bench next to him, reading 
the music score as he played, and
turning the page for him at the
appropriate time. If he'd ever
gotten sick or was a no-show, I'd
be the fill-in. Thank goodness 
that never happened. (I don't 
know who would have turned 
my pages). But, anyway, after
I got the assignment, and the
found out with whom I'd be 
working, (Mr. Clean Creepy Body,
Clean Creepy Mind himself), I
kind of wished I'd never gotten
involved. As it was, it all went
off OK.
-
So, you see what I'm saying?
These are stories, but they're also
my own real life  -  as a stupid,
bedeviled kid. Chucked out on
my own into some ridiculous
environment of religion mixed
with boys, all undergoing at the
same time the adolescent angst
and confusions of whatever goes
down. That, my friends, is what
brings the Lord Jesus Christ to 
each of you, in the Catholic Church
anyway. You can take it from me,
and if you wish, I'll go under oath.
So help me God.


No comments: