Saturday, June 23, 2018

10,920. RUDIMENTS, pt. 355

RUDIMENTS, pt. 355
(Avenel Academy, pt.1)
Once you're in the hospital
a long enough time, I found
out, in Perth Amboy anyway  -
which was kind of way low-key
as far as hospitals and rigors
and routines go  -  that they
all love you and welcome
you around. Like having a
healing pet or something,
as is done now. I just waltzed
around on my crutches, went
where I chose, mostly, and
got to know people. It must
be like an orphanage or
something, where, yeah,
even though it's sad, people
get by, and manage to smile,
survive and 'be.' It was like
that for me  -  in fact the
only crummy people I kept
kept really seeing were the
visitors, mine and all the
others, who would come
and go all miserable and sad.
I figured you can't be too sad,
at least you still have someone
to visit  -  ain't dead yet. Cheer
up, Kemosabe. (That's also a
cancer joke, 'Chemosabe' but
the Lone Ranger and Tonto
hadn't gotten that ironic yet).
-
I think I already told that story
about my mother getting that
TV guy, 'The Merry Mailman',
Ray Heatherton was his name,
to come in one day and do a big,
fancy visit. He cheered everybody
up. Frankly, I didn't much care,
but lots of others did, and he was
good about it. I always considered
his stuff to be below my grade-level,
as it were. He was like a pre-Mister
Rogers in an era that had as yet
called a need for either. When
he came in I was still bed-bound
and all laced up with tractions
and stuff, and my stupid mouth
wired shut too. So, I got by with
just grunting; kinda' pretending
I was a retard, back in those days.
(You could still do that). It was
weird too  -  have you ever really
tried to talk while keeping your
mouth jammed-shut? It's like
all you get is some strange roving
tongue banging around on the
back of your front teeth, trying
to make some definite noise but
failing. I had to do that like forever,
and it really sucked. (No pun,
but it's a good one),
-
Another thing about the mouth-shut
braces : I had them on for a time
after I was released too. I remember
well the day I went back to the
dental place within the hospital
to get all the hardware removed.
(Afterwards, through life, when
people would say, about something,
'keep your mouth shut,' I'd still
shudder). Anyway, they did
eventually get all this metal out
of my mouth, and wow what a
new world again I had. It was a
very weird situation  -  being able
again to flap my jaws, chew,
breath in, at least better than it
was. I was told, oddly enough
to chew gum, lots of it  -  to get
the jaw muscles revved up again.
(I guess they didn't know me very
well). My father was a Chiclets
guy (to stop smoking) but I
disliked them, with that hard
candy coating over the gum. I
went with 'Dentyne' instead,
which was a little weak-knee'd
on my part, but they worked.
Later I got cooler about it and
started buying, from Murray
and Martha's Candy Store at
the local corner, this licorice,
black-flavored, gum they sold.
It was called Black Jack, and
came in sticks, just like Doublemint
or something. It was neat, and
I treated it like I was chewing
some gruff cowboy chaw, and
spitting black crud. And then,
some years later too, I was
surprised when I started seeing
some product that kids were chewing,
called 'Big League Chew.' It was
a pouch of gum, in slivers, that
you could stuff in your mouth
and chew  -  just like baseball
guy did with tobacco. Pretty
cool; except they themselves
can't do that. Sometimes I wonder
why'd I ever even waked up from
that coma  - to be able to come
back to something like all this.
Kids can't do shit today, and they
don't want to anyway, but even
adults now can't do the ordinary
stuff that just plain old living
used to afford  -  like chewing,
for god's sake, whatever you
damn well please, as an adult,
while playing your stupid-ass
baseball game for which you
get like 35 million a year. What
the hell goes on anymore?
-
It's all gone from us, like some
mentally challenged Yogi Berra
saying 'Me-He for Yoo-Hoo'
while pushing some chocolate
and sugar drink concoction on
unwitting 8 year olds, or some
John Wayne marshmallow brain
pushing cigarettes, to the point
where any normal media star
or whatever can't even any
longer admit to farting, for fear
someone will take offense.
-
Also, when they unwired my jaw,
the doctors told me right up front
my teeth were going to be crummy
and smashed in the rear, and that
later in life I'd face teeth troubles.
No thanks to all that gum I had to
chew either, I suppose; but at
least they were upfront about it.
I'm nearing 70 now, and, yes, my
teeth are all mucked up, but I still
figure, or hope anyway, they'll
outlast me to the finish line. So,
due to money, I don't much get
anything on that count done.
So, now, it was almost two years
on, and I was in pretty good shape.
I could bicycle again, run, slowly
at first, get around, everything
worked, I had full extension of
bones and arms and all. I used
a line, once or twice, on bar girls,
if the subject came up, that the
train had severed my you-know-
what and all they had to graft in
its place was a horse-dick. It was
funny, perhaps, but I never got
anything out of it. The last piece
of business, which was probably
the most troubling, was that they
told me I had a problem because
'spinal fluid was leaking out my
ears.' WHAT!?? I asked my
parents, like, what did he just say?
They knew less then me, which is
about right, since it wasn't their
spine anyway. The good doctor
said it would require some watching
and some treatment. And then  -  get
this  -  he ordered me up for a series
of 'brain-wave' tests. Oh boy, that
was more fun. So they shave these
7 or 8 little spots in my head, and
affix some sort of suction-cupped
electrodes to my skull, wired to
some console, and whatever thy
did, they did. I never felt anything,
honestly, but then again I never
knew what the world they were
doing to me either. I had to sit there, 
like a lie-detector test guy,  while 
they juiced some electrical current 
or something through my humbled 
brain. It's pretty funny, but for 
the rest of my life, even now, 
if I get near any electrical stuff, my 
presence can cause static or make
things mis-function. After a few times, 
all this  testing stopped, and I never
was told anything about my leaky
ears (?), what exactly I'd been
leaking (?), or what the results
of my 'brain-wave tests' had been.
Weird, weird world. Talk about
some Area 51 stuff, for sure.
-
Now, lastly, and all these years
later, I want to present something:
A man doesn't have much to do
with the end of his life. It sputters,
runs out, OR, it goes out big time.
I'm by choice pretty much right
back where I began my conscious
life. A real, blurby, space-capsule
nodule of a place, this Avenel.
People in strange shapes and 
dress, walking around all
discolored and in fifteen 
different shades of K-Mart 
colored loose clothing that
makes everyone pretty much 
resemble an inmate. Those
muscle-bound, tattoo-freaked
guys, the ones wearing cargo
shorts all year 'round, the
shortstops and the long-tops,
wandering around endlessly,
looking for something. Cigarettes
and booze, yeah they both
still have a current and lively
life 'round these parts, as well
as do noisy cars, revved-up
street cars, motorcycles too.
The place is a real dreamlock,
running downhill fast. I got
out of all my own mess pretty 
good, and most all of my life 
has been spent thinking about 
what I could impart to others.
The way I see it, every other local
political rat-trap is always busy
spinning some shit to them which
they accept lock, stock, and barrel.
Putting true faith in false morons,
in a way. But only in a way because
I'm not so sure about the 'false' 
morons stuff. They might just 
BE morons only. No matter, my
point here is my own dream : I
always wanted to open a school,
an art gallery space, wherein
selected people would learn. I'd 
like the white-washed, open walls
feel of Art and plenty to be put in 
place, and then discussed. I'd like
6-8 students, maybe three months
at a time, 600 or 800 bucks a head,
as attendees. I'd give them a solid
5-hour day, and the rest would be,
in-place, reading and some serious
writing about the lessons and the
discussion. I figure the kids need 
be maybe 14 years old, to 18; no 
riff-raff, just serious kids with 
well-intentioned heads, no 
run-off cultural bullshit, no 
half-assed jeans. They'd have to
work, and listen. Some discourse,
a few road trips (transportation
provided, and well-rounded,
real-life, experiences. I can
guarantee they'd learn, and
learn to think differently too, 
and would leave there not at 
all the sort of person they 
came in as. Actually, the very
place I mentioned, Murray and
Martha's corner store, is again 
open and going unused, and
could be perfect for my use.
I have a curriculum already
put together, Amazon books
to be purchased, or from 
wherever, I don't care. 
Discussion, master-notes,
re-reading, and re-writing 
of conclusions and ideas, 
philosophies and cross-currents.
Yep, my wandering Platonic
ideal could really get some things
moving, get Avenel back on some
more-rightful map, rather than
the sludge-hole it's now relegated
to, and in time we'd have a true
coterie of enlightened beings 
with pointed, well-honed minds
and thought and exposure. That's
how revolutions-in-place begin.
Not in the swirligigs that get built
and then robbed by Governments.
We start them at home, right here.







No comments: