Tuesday, June 19, 2018

10,908. RUDIMENTS, pt. 350

RUDIMENTS, pt. 350
Making Cars
Had I been born a deaf mute,
I probably would have been
better able to communicate
with others. It was really that
bad. Most of what people said,
I didn't understand, because I
didn't understand, or share,
their presuppositons and
assumptions about things.
My life was like playing
at charades. Man, I hated
that game. My sensitivities,
it seemed, were sharper-honed
that everyone around me. There
was, as a for instance, this little
piece of wall and stairway, way
downtown, at the rear of the
graveyard at Trinity Church.
Probably 20,000 people would
pass by it in a day, probably
more, and never look up; never
notice, never value, never dote,
never understand. There's this
little cherub carving, set into
the wall of the walkway. No 
one (not even then, in 1967)
ever looked up to see it or 
care about it. When I first 
saw it and read about about 
it, my heart near to leapt out
from my chest. Blundering
reprobates all about me  -  
knowing nothing of anything
but type and food and money.
This was also the burial site
of Alexander Hamilton, and
Robert Fulton. Banker, and
steamship inventor, respectively.
One need not revere either; 
I don't care, but they ARE
America. Sorry. The little 
cherub is from some sister-church 
in London somewhere and it
was rescued from the fire there,
as valued as ever  -  designed by
Christopher Wren  -  and installed
here, in NYC, America. [St.
Mary-Le-Bow; "The cherub
above is a gift to Trinity Church
from the Church of St. Mary-le-Bow
in London, which was designed by
Sir Christopher Wren in 1680 and
was destroyed in an air raid on
May 10, 1941. The cherub
survived the bombing and
was presented to Trinity
Church on June 11, 1964").
Did/Does anyone care? No.
Each time I passed it, and
oftentimes it was out of my 
way, I made good notice of
its import and placement. 
My thinking was that the
overall tenor of NYCity,
whatever it may have been,
had never really been
tampered with. All those
Amercan artist types of
whom I'd read and who I
was seeing and learning from
at the Studio School, they all
had existed within a certain
closed form of wild, American
freedom  -  to extol, to yell and
be brash, to experiment. I knew
where that had gotten everyone,
and, overall, I wasn't that
impressed. The British guys, 
on the other hand (some were
mentioned in the previous
chapter), had lived through 
and faced off the adverse 
conditions of postwar London,
which for them turned out
to be propitious for their
creativity, and work-inducing.
'The city had been badly bombed,
so short-term studio rentals
were cheap. With rationing still
in effect, starving artists went no
hungrier than anyone else. Peace
then reconnected Britain to the
rest of Europe, and revived
engagement with Modern
painting. What ensued was a
delayed detonation of creativity. 
In late 1945, so many students
flocked to the Chamberwell
School of Art in London that
the municipality had to provide
extra buses...' Well you get the
idea. Whatever the cultural
climate there, as opposed to
where I was, had made a very
different sort of character. 
Artist. Creator. They both 
spoke, in their ways, the 
same language, but so, 
so differently.
-
I had come through whatever 
had strengthened me  -  and 
it all put me in some other 
strait. I did NOT want to 
make alliances, nor join 
any 'forces' of movement.
I just wanted to learn and 
explore, and create. Which 
is what I did.
-
Avenel had never afforded us
too much in the way of anything
above the ordinary. The best part
of my days somehow were spent,
about 6th grade on, with a few
strange fellows. One new friend
I met lived at 25 Chase Avenue,
and it was the same time as 'Car
54, Where Are You,' was a new
and current first or second season
show. He blurted out his address
to me one day, as we were leaving
school, and surprising even myself,
I managed to invent right there on
the spot a means for myself to
not forget his address. I said to
myself, 'Car 25, Chase!' as if
investing myself, for memory
purposes, right into the stupidities
of both Tootie AND Muldoon,
the dumb-ass cops on the show.
It worked, and I never forgot his
address. It was only years later that
I did learn that the ancient Chinese
and ancient explorers had used pretty
much the same means to remember
all the (new) and startling things
their travels and discoveries were
bringing them. [The book is 'The
Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci' -
by one Jonathan Spence]. This
Italian explorer guy, in China, a
monk of course (they were really
big back then) invents fictional
rooms or imaginary palaces in
his mind and, through memory
techniques, furnishes them by
filling them up, one by one, in
every precise location, with the
things he seen experienced,
touched, and learned. He then
uses the practice to impress upon
his hosts the superiority of the
Western Culture he represented
to the Chinese culture they did.
(I'm skimming here, don't take
my word, get the book, read it).
Another friend of mine, in 6th
grade, one Peter Tolendino, spent
nearly the entire year immersed
in reading a book called 'God Is
My Co-Pilot.' Now that one
threw me because I was unable
to ascertain what he was about,
or the book. Religion? A fighter
pilot shooting down enemy
aircraft over, I think it was, the
South Pacific? Huh? God 
taking sides? (Yes, it was 
about the Flying Tigers, 
flying wartime supplies 
'over the hump' in China
and Burma. later also a 
USA wartime propaganda 
film on the same subject.
All drivel). In any case, 
the incidentals weren't 
important to me, but Peter
took all this as revered holy
writ. None of this mattered; my
friends were just temporary
passages along the way to
somewhere else. I'm simply
indicating here what it was
I came up through  -  a junk 
town, with a railroad running
through it, but not a railroad 
town in any sense. They'd 
taken all that town-centeredness 
away when they destroyed the 
center section of town, razing 
the heart of the place, taking 
down the old depot, the old 
lending-library within the 
depot, the sitting room, and
the entire 'feel' for place and 
sense. At least if it had been
a railway town it would have
been cool. If there had been a 
memory- palace set-up of 
old Avenel, boy would I 
have loved seeing it. As
it was, tearing the heart 
of the place out left us with 
a nasty  lumber yard in the 
train depot's place, a trench 
cut through the center
of town, to sink the roadway 
in the most hideous and 
unimaginative fashion, 
destroying civic center, 
small stores and businesses 
on either  side, and 
abandoning the whole 
place to the poor vicissitudes 
of auto, truck and factory.
We got industry. We got 
roadways. We got poor 
drainage sewers. They 
threw up whatever they 
could to fill the gap and
keep people's attention 
elsewhere. So be it. In 
the 1950's and 60's, which 
was even funnier, we got 
teen guys in their little 
hot-rod cars creaming their 
pants over the echo-chamber 
sounds they could get by
rolling off the accelerator in
third gear while cruising
beneath the 'underpass.'
Now that was high-style.
All these years later, all of 
them, I finally achieved myself.
An artist. A writer and the rest  
be humped. And I get now a
bunch of limp-wrist mannequins
stealing money and raking it all
in under the pretense of providing
an 'Arts Center' in the dead-false
middle of a shit-hole place like this,
so they can perform and stage
their panty-waist musical
bullshit programs and claim 'Art' 
for Avenel. How's that saying go,
'a prophet is not without honor 
except in his own home town.'
-
And that's what the place
offered. Sinister,  low 
versions of high-relief 
mental forms of vandalism, 
enough to screw up any 
local boy's life indeed.
I was so thankful I got 
out when I did, before the 
whole place got to be what 
it is now. A-bombable,
for sure, and with God 
as my co-pilot. Thanks, 
Peter, and thanks, Al.
-
*Close enough to 'abominable' as well.




No comments: