Wednesday, June 6, 2018

10,869. RUDIMENTS, pt. 338

RUDIMENTS, pt. 338
Making Cars
Some people always had  
something to fall back on 
I never did. Some of those
Studio School kids would 
be living on a stipend, 
always sure of whatever
amount was coming to them
at the end of a month. And
I'm not meaning just pocket
change either. Real money.
One guy, I remember him
telling me : 'One day my
grandfather called me and
had me come over, and he
said 'I'm giving you the start
of your inheritance early. As
of today, at the end of each 
month, until I'm no longer 
alive, I'll see to it that (X 
amount) of dollars is put into
your account.'' He said his
grandfather was still alive, 
and it all still went on, and
there was to be more after that 
too. I'd just purse my lips and
do my best country-boy 'Damn!'
and he'd get a real laugh out of
that. But he was cool; Raymond,
by name. Raymond Wetzel,
who of course to me was 
always 'Raymond Pretzel.'
Oh, maybe it was Andrew, I
forget. He never minded, and 
he gave me lots of premium-grade 
deli sandwiches too, in those days.
With pickle. Me! Who didn't
know anything about sandwiches.
I think it's true  -  when you're a
real loser, coming off as one 
anyway, people take pity on
you and do throw you a 
mercy-bone. It's pretty nice.
I used to remember, about 1958,
back at home, my father would
come home with his week's pay,
cash, in a little brown envelope.
One hundred twenty-five dollars.
My first job or two also, back
whenever, I used to get paid 
the same way, in a small brown,
end-flap bank envelope, marked
on the front with wage and hours 
and deductions and all that crud.
Cash. I can remember like seventy-
six dollars, maybe two-ten an
hour, later on. My father, however
supported a whole family and a 
house and car and groceries too, 
on that kind of money. By contrast,
now it's 'digi-world,' as I called
it when I was still working  -  
they want you set up for direct
deposit, electronic banking and
all that stuff. I don't know how
people do it. They make like
ten thousand bucks a week,
have fifty sorts of electronic
toys, and a loaf of bread costs
them eleven dollars. On the
trains now, they just show the
conductors a phone screen
with their ticket pass on it, all
electronically renewed. I don't
even own a phone; the conductors
come by me like I have cooties,
having to handle tickets and 
paper freaks them out.
-
Let no one tell you different, in
1967, and even after, there were
still plenty enough of horses in
New York City. Working horses,
clomping the streets, especially 
along the west side, right up
through the 20's and 30's (streets, 
not years). They'd be pulling
charcoal, or coal, bags of this
or that, wood, stones. Whatever.
There were still stables around,
horsehoe guys, hay and stablehands.
I loved all that stuff, and made
sure I got acquainted. Most of
those old stables, where they still
exist, are weird little parking
garages and things, with ramps
and entries. Like from another
world  - angled funny, and
sometimes oddly oriented to 
the street. Those too are fading
fast now, as new development 
everywhere just tears them down 
and the new buildings and stuff
make serious business out of
parking areas. Nothing like these
old bays. Which I miss already.
I used to tell people, once I'd
see them again, 'Missed you 
like air, man.' I mostly meant 
it, but not always, sometimes 
it was more like, 'I missed you 
like a volcano up my butt and 
a knitting needle through my 
eye,' but, you, you gotta' be 
kind of nice, sometimes. But,
these old buildings and horse
places, them I really do miss like
air. What a world we've let die.
It's a sorrowful sight.
-
What was cool about horses was
that they were alive, and they
needing tending. Blacksmithing
was cool (the street wreaked havoc
and hard use on horse-feet and
shoes). I used to sit around and
think about Creation then, while
wondering if in the make-up of 
the idea of horses, they were
ever meant for 'hard' surface 
streets. I mean, it couldn't have 
been, since they were 'created'
as natural, wild animals out in
the soil and wild, but somehow
they ended up on the horrid,
stone or cobble'd, and then 
macadam and paved, streets.
Was that cruel? Was that not
natural? Was it meant as an evil
thing? How'd it all go? When they
were created, then, was the 
future already seen, and 
in-line, in full knowledge of 
eventual hard streets for the
horses?  Man, stuff like that used 
to drive me nuts, all these little,
strange questionings. Like finding
an old horse tie or something in
an old brick wall somewhere;
not knowing what it could be
and why there, but only realizing
that it once was part of some 
horse establishment. One would
guess, anyway. I hung around
as much as I could, only because
it all represented something better
tome; all imaginative material,
mind you, but good stuff. One
thing I hated as sleep. Still do.
-
You get into sleep after a while, 
and you do understand its value.
Transporter of images. Reviews
of things. Messages. The weird
little twist of those other worlds
you're part of still seeping through.
If done right you wake up with
a bundle of ersatz collages of words,
people and places, horses that can
sing and fly, ladies passing through
walls while holding eggs and ham;
men rolling around in hoops made
of cream and fire. No sense, never
a straight line, and its all ephemeral.
The more you try to remember it
all, the faster it begins fading away.
Like trying to find the source of
a fire with a finger that has no feel.
-
Old people just used to pile up and
die; one by one, the old felt-hat crowd
and wizened suit pants guys of the
old streets stared dwindling away. I
gauged everyone, back then, by the
age of my grandmother : She been
born with the 20th century, so that
whatever the year was, that was her
age too. In '67, she was 67, like so
many of these old guys. Campfire guys,
for sure, except it was broken glass
bottles, empty, and barrel fires for
them. That was the only lamlight
their memories had, and  -  for them,
men in their condition  -  age 67 was
already quite ancient. Things
were broken down  -  these were
men who'd walked through the 
Depression, the 1930's the war,
they were crazy boys in the 1920's,
all those memories, like loose 
nuts and bolts, were still flailing
around in their heads. Their
campfire stories were mostly
horrid. It was my grandmother  -
she was contemporary to most
of these guys  -  who used to
be the one telling me about the
arrival of cars, refrigeration, the 
ice-man and the coal-man, vending
their wares along the streets. When the
three-cent loaves of bread were sold 
fresh and apples were vended like
candy and pretzels. The War, the
upheaval; she too knew all that,
but it was slightly different, because
her 'scars' were the scars of home,
home-life and calm, by comparision
to the wriggled eel-life these men
had gone through. And they weren't
the wordy type  -  at least not then.
Life had pretty much shut them up.

No comments: