Saturday, June 23, 2018

10,918. RUDIMENTS, pt. 354

RUDIMENTS, pt. 354
(Perth Amboy : Avenel train wreck)
Walt Whitman said he loafed to
enhance his time. Yes, I can
understand that moment. Life
ends mostly on a dreary note;
within an estrangement of both
circumstance AND time as
they overlap. Go. Go then.
Just watch the birds in the
field, and see the river, how
it flows. The words of Man
are nothing, and the works
of man are battered. Long,
long ago it occurred to me
that I was born in the wrong
place and the wrong time.
Once a realization like that
hits, it throws you way off.
The papers said I had a family,
a sister, at first just one, then
more, and then a brother. So,
I guess I did, but it never ever
seemed natural, Or right. I was
one, alone, struggling through,
and without any aid or assistance
to take or give. Really, I wanted
to strangle myself, but that's
one thing near impossible to
do  -  for, at the moment of your
passage, your muscles, going
limp, undo the strangle and you
pop back into life. Kind of a
knowing-coward's try at death.
When I woke back up in that
stupid hospital bed, after getting
creamed by that lonesome train,
Jeepers, I wanted to die. I was like
6 floors up, whatever the height
of that  old Perth Amboy General 
Hospital was, and I could
see down to the street if I
craned (try that some day,
craning a broken neck and
body). Plus, I was in casts, and
all slinged up too. I looked
most like one of those Mad
Magazine caricatures of the
jerk who flew off the cliff
trying to elude Spy vs. Spy.
They gave me a male, Philippine
guy as a nurse, or orderly. I
hated him, bringing juice, like
a girl, messing with my bed
sheets and clothing, in fact
changing my sheets under my
staggered body  -  lifting me
painfully up while all wired
and tractioned up. They had
these ropes or slings that, as I
healed, they continually tightened
To better mend me, they said; yes,
it was called traction; or however
that guy said it with his Philippine
marbles in his mouth. Even those
few inches up so they could get
the sheets out from under me and
the new ones in, were killer inches.
Total pain and I don't know what
they were thinking. Once I woke
back up, I had all these things
to get used to again  -  like time
and clocks and lights-out and all
that stuff. I realized that where I'd
been, thankfully, none of that crap
existed. It was like some mad
Calcutta of dream time, and I
didn't really know anything
about Calcutta. I just said that.
For effect. I feel a Mark Twain
mood coming back on, so watch
out. One thing about this here
hospital, 1958 version anyway,
was that no one really knew what
they were doing. The science
involved was pretty much at the
level of a seventh grade lab. Medical 
care in Perth Amboy back then was 
just vying to be the equal of Civil War 
trepanning. and the cutting of limbs.
There were all sorts of people, even 
in the hallways, because the place was
way over-crowded; people were
healing, Beds. Wheelchairs.
Even just like waiting room
chairs. People battered and
bent, stitched up, bruised. I
remember these two old cadgers
going on, 'Didja know that 43
percent of the women in America
are battered?' said the one. The
other old timer looks quizzical.
'Really? All those years I was
eating mine plain." Like two
old TV comics, the laughs
ensued. Guffaws and slaps of
the wheelchair arms. Problem
was, even though I remember
it, I had no clue what in the heck
they were talking about. I guess
you miss a lot when you're a
kid, even though people always
say 'Shhh,' and talk low, because
they think you're getting it all.
Weird adults. When you do
get it, they hate you for it,
and when you don't get it
anyway, they think you do.
-
This wasn't an Army hospital or
anything  -  just regular stuff like
old people, heart attacks, car
crashes, stitches, operations,
bruises, falls. Not like now,
when they can change  your
hip at 7am and have you
walking home, and to the
square dance at the Elks
too, by 11pm. And nobody
cared about money either.
They just took care of you
and worked all that crap out
later. Now, they want your
life story and ID cards and
paperwork before they'll
even let you die. They also
must have made babies there,
giving them birth I mean,
because there was this whole
floor of nurseries, cribs, cradles,
bins, and everything was filled
with babies, crying or not, people
at glass windows looking in, 
masked nurses breaking kids
to the windows and all that.
It was happy, but just as
weird too. Once I got off
the bed and un-tractioned
and all, even with the leg 
casts, etc., they let me roam.
Wheelchair, cane, whatever.
It was supposedly good rehab.
I'd pass the same people often.
There were guys  -  I never
saw this anywhere else ever  -  
with slabs of raw meat, like
steaks, over their wounds, eye,
foreheads. I never asked about
it but someone told me it was 
a means of promoting healing
on bruises and things. Seemed
stupid, and wasteful and expensive
too. Unless that's the kind of crap
they later served the inmates;
I mean, patients. Why bother?
You could do that kind of raw
meat-healing crap at home.
There was this other section too.
real scary  -  they called it iron
lungs, what the kids were in.
Contraptions like space capsules
or time machines  -  I mean I
can't even describe it and how
sad it was. I wanted to cry even
as a kid. All you'd see is the 
person's sad head, and you'd hear
this pumping noise, pulsing, as
the forced air was jammed in, 
or something. I wasn't a doctor, 
but I knew trouble when I saw 
it. Polio maybe, I don't ever
know and no one ever said. 
Boy, but it made me glad to 
just only have gotten hit by 
a train, instead of having to 
be one of those alien things, 
pumping away. I always
expected them to rise, open 
their capsules, and start 
stalking about; like some 
old sci-fi movies me and
Kenny Kaisen used to 
watch at the old Woodbridge 
Movies, by Town Hall.
-
I spent way too much time in 
that hospital. Darn neighbors
kept visiting too, bringing me
stuff, except I couldn't eat
anything but regular Gerber
baby food, believe that, because
my mouth and jaw was wired 
shut from when my faced got 
smashed. I still can't breath 
through my nose like others 
can (their own nose, not
mine). It's like my nostrils
never got opened back up,
just stayed half flat-shut. And
other times, lungs and all, I have
a hard time breathing anyway.
I used to get the stupid baby food
and a big spoon, and they'd
taught me to smash it all up
into the braces on all my teeth,
wiring my mouth shut (about 
5 months) and sucking this crud 
in, for food. Other times they'd
stick me up with needles and
hoses to get like proteins and 
needed crap from a drip system 
or something. That too then
meant I couldn't twist around
and all, being hoked up like that.
Plus, it was all like some Nazi
torture that, the more I thought
about it, it would drive me crazier,
like being in a box you could never
get out of. I couldn't breath right,
my mouth and jaw was wired shut,
I was tractioned and in casts, this
needle-drip crap kept going in
my arms, and visitors expected
me to be all happy and glad to 
see them. Jeez, half the time
whatever they brought, someone
else ended up eating it. Bummer.
-
Yeah, that was some real loafing
I did. Weird thing was, no one ever
brought me a book, or anything
even remotely smart. Just crap.
And to top it off, the one kid I
hated the most ever in school,
Michael Hoffman, or John, I
forget, one day he and his 
happy family comes strolling
in and he's given the bed right
next to me for a two-week stay,
appendix removal and something.
Man, was I really bummed at
that one too. I thought about
renting one of those pods, or
hiding under some big, raw
steak. But someone  visiting 
would probably  end-up 
wanting to eat that too.








No comments: