Wednesday, June 20, 2018

10,912. IN THE ANNALS OF RISK

IN THE ANNALS OF RISK
Dr. Parsinowski said we can't just
take up space, we had to contribute.
So, I spoke up, and said that 'In the
annals of risk, where would I find 
your name, Dr. P? Had you a part,
perhaps in the Second World War?
(This was quite some time ago, they
most all were still alive); or were you
then late enough to be taken to guarding
the new Germany, or even playing in
the Korean snows of 1951? So, tell
me before my need to know outdistances
your desire to tell.' He sat back down,
and began an awkward sequence of
crying tears aloud. Which was, I realize
only now. my first exposure than to
psychiatry. It stayed with me for years:
Evasion, avoidance, feigned grief, 
sorrow, regret, sadness, fear, 
over-reaction, menace, under-reaction, 
seeking solace in the worship of things,
sexual diversions, avoidance of risk,
the splice of never facing eye-to-eye
with anyone spoken to. This  
'new-world-man,' (one of his main 
tenets) couldn't even speak, just kept
crying along. Of course, we all fed
on that and teased him deadly to no 
end. Cruelty like that has no model. 
He died in about 1987, as I recall, 
an eminent scholar in his own field.

No comments: