Monday, June 11, 2018

10,884. RUDIMENTS, pt. 343

RUDIMENTS, pt. 343
Making Cars
I've never much been a party
to conflict, taking sides, etc.
My life has been a long horizon,
with things dancing upon it as
they all stretched to horizons
of places I wasn't headed. That
requires silence, some distancing,
and a sort of removal from taking
immediate sides; like when they
say 'never write that blistering
letter in response to something
without first 'sleeping' on it and
going back to the issue in the
morning.' I guess that works.
A lot of stupid moves are done,
and a lot of stupid words are
spoken, in haste, heats of the
moments, and all the rest. In
the same regard, a good passion
rules a good life, so the opposite
of that could probably be argued
as well. (And who likes to sleep
on  a letter anyway? [joke]). And 
I'd probably be one to do that. 
The counter-arguing, not the
sleeping on the letter. But then 
again, that's why things like Twitter,
from what I understand (I don't
partake so don't know) should
probably come with a hangman's
noose as the icon or logo.
-
My idea of things was 'character,'
as in building one. I'd seen lots
of people, some of those I've
already mentioned  - like Jim
Tomberg, for one  -  who had
actually made a character of
themselves. That worked for me.
Why not just be, if nothing else,
for God's sake, an 'interesting'
person. It was apparent the
world was already filled with
boring drones, dead and vacuous
people going about their equally
deadening paths and staying
with it all. That cliched, old,
probably even apocryphal,
Chinese 'curse' was always
bandied about (1970's)  -
'May your children live in
interesting times.' Yeah, I
heard that like 20 times a
month for a while, always
said, of course, by the most
stupid and ritualistic people,
waylaying the phrase's sense
of usefulness if it had any.
All those Walter Cronkite sorts
always managed to slip that
in, with the wise-ass half TV
grin showing that they 'knew'
the joke and the routine far
better than you, so get it.
Screw 'interesting times.' For
Heaven's sake, first make
yourself interesting. Find
something interesting to
say or think about, make an
interesting character of your
own self. Heave the rest.
-
There were always things I
was unable to fathom, having
little of the undertsanding
needed to figure them out. Like,
for one, why people needed
money  - not just needed, but 
gave their lives away for it. I
could understand  - don't get
me wrong  -  about how you
maybe need the food money 
and household stuff to be 
living, but some people, in
turn, dedicated their entire lives
to its pursuit. I could never be
bothered, because it held no
definition for me. And it
certainly was not complicated.
And to be 'interesting,' things
needed a certain level of both
complication and definition   - 
much as an artist, seeking a face
to portray, needs an interesting
and a complicated face to work
from. Defined. They're not that
easy to find, but they're out there.
They bear the same connections
and lineage as does the 'interesting'
person  -  odd angles, active lines.
The stuff of hidden assortment
and surprise. In the same way,
I've never met an interesting
person who owned a second 
house, (I mean, really, who 
then needs two houses? And 
especially  -  as in the case
of so many of these New York
types I was among  -  when the
first thing carped about are the
'needs of the poor, and our
responsibility as a society to
provide...' all that crap; you
know how it is. Try to take
their house away and give the
proceeds back to those in
need. See how far you get.
These jerks will start screaming 
into their raw, unprocessed
wheat germ with lemon-zinger
tea). Sometimes loyalty to a
concept ends when it hits your
pocket. I liked it all simple, and
quiet. No causes, much; no 
parades. In the Studio School
I got to know a few really 
monied people  -  besides 
the rich and famous artists 
and musician sorts who came 
through  -  and, mostly, they
were a crummy enough bunch.
Nothing real offensive just 
perversely selective and 
biased. I thought. I won't be
lying to you though  -  it 
wasn't as if I didn't wish I
had their money. Thirty-grand
back then could have made
my forlorn days for weeks.
-
I never had any reason to be 
that way, seeing as how I 
basically had gotten there 
from nothing and with
nothing. I never even knew 
half the concepts these people 
dealt with. You have to imagine  
-  and  I'm asking you to  -  
someone like me just blowing 
onto this type of scene. I  
was a zombie for the first 
two months, I'm  sure. 
With nothing, and knowing
nothing. One of the first
people I meet when I finally
did get settled was some crazed,
giant Mexican-Indian of a
guy from Colorado. I had a
pretense of never being
gullible, at least enough to
protect my own person, and
this guy's story was a bit much,
but I just listened and wondered
about him. It was asking nothing
from me. Or, maybe I could 
have ratted him out and got
some money. Killing a wife
doesn't happen everyday; and
then spilling the beans about it
and giving the incidentals of both
place and time, and method too.
I suppose I could have cooked
this guy's goose but good.
-
Now, you think to yourself, about
this - is making such a judgment a
good thing? An intelligent thing?
Did it mark me as the dumb-ass
I may have been, for not having
done so? Not turning him in? Not
ratting? Would a wiser and more
educated person (then) have done
so? Do you see my thought pattern.
I have to be truthful  -  that was
then. This is now; and I really doubt
you'd find 30 people in a 30-mile
radius of me schooled in things as
much as I am now. Point of pride.
[Editor: insert that here and make 
sure it stays. Citation, Boswell,
ibid, and all that crud!]. I never
have seen that guy again in, now, 
what, 50-plus years. If he's dead,
that's fine. If he's not, maybe I
hope he got what was coming, 
maybe I don't. I said I never
took sides.


No comments: