Monday, June 18, 2018

10,906. RUDIMENTS, pt. 349

RUDIMENTS, pt. 349
Making Cars
There was some funny
stuff I had to work my
way through in the middle
and then later, 1960's. The
art world, in which I was
most interested, had just
about turned itself inside out
and over, or was underway still
doing so. There were flash-fires
everywhere, over Art, about
Art and painting, and people
and styles. By the time any
of that was over, I felt more
confused, and violated too.
At least my norms. But, when
one came right down to it,
walking along the streets,
in the sorts of miserable
situations I was always
getting myself into, it was
more like 'who the hell cares?'
But I forced myself to care,
because I sensed that if I
acquiesced to that feeling
once, and then again, it
would never come back.
The whole thing was that
ephemeral. All around me,
the most troubling aspects of
it came forth  -  mainly, I saw,
a whole lot of homosexuality,
which (sorry, boys) I just
couldn't get myself into. I had,
on the other hand, nothing
against a certain level of
promiscuity on the distaff
side, but that wasn't a real
winner for me either. I wasn't
macho, wasn't a big guy, wasn't
much at throwing my 'weight'
around and counting conquests.
Stupid me, all I ever did was
fall for people's hearts, not parts.
-
It was funny. I was a small-scale
scoundrel, right after the seminary,
having to hang it out for the
remainder of that last year in
the local Woodbridge squid
High School. I had achieved
my own sought-for sense of
satori, and was quite willing to
operate from that, or non-operate
as it were. They, of course, would
have nothing of that. It became
a regular running battle. Let's
say I didn't 'integrate' well,
Martin Luther King being around
or not, and my resistance wasn't
very well accepted or taken to.
That school was an acidic dump.
I had been thrown back into a
regressive mixture of pomp and
circumstance that I nether wished
for nor believed in. So I straggled
through any number of really bad
months. Cold and snow, rain and
hail. School-bus permutations and
simply just walking the tracks to
and from school. That's how I
ended up, when I was there. The
fact was that I hardly needed but
a few credits to graduate  -  their
learning and accreditation scale I
guessed having been slower than
mine, so I slummed. I threw attitude.
What did they know  -  geeks,
and winos, and a bunch of jumpy
girls with perky blouses.
-
The biggest offense I had to deal
with  -  and there were many  - 
was the to-the-core offense of
seeing an art teacher (Frank
Gubernat) who certainly should
have known better, and sensed the
intuitive aspects of me far more
wisely, act as the chief main
enforcer of the sickening strictures
of the 'Administration' (Lou Gabriel,
a rotund Santa Claus shape of a jerk;
and John Stanaitis, a probably also
perverted nazi no-brain). Gubernat
ran the hallway in his 'wing' (how
pathetic these grown men must
have been in their little thought
corrals). He was always throwing
me out of the line, rejected for
the school day for hair, shoes,
clothing, belongings, attitude
and whatever. A real jerk. Their
solution, even in 1966, was to
send their ward home for the 
day or to come back when 'right,'
or have that person simply sit
in some office chair for five 
hours, to leave. This was like
brig-thinking, military stupidity.
I hope they're all dead now, and,
thankfully, they probably are.
-
What I ever had to do withe them
or they with me remained always
beyond my comprehension. These
were barbecue and baseball people, 
snots of adult age and format. I
wanted nothing to do with it. All
they were doing was producing
cannon-fodder for Vietnam, tidy
little house-wife types for the annals
of motherhood, and Broadway
play attendees with a little 'cultural'
money later on. My disgust was
unbridled, and those three goons
were just the start of it. The
school still stands, sinking yet
in its quagmire'd oasis of shit.
-
Even writing this crap now is pathetic,
a looking back into deep, dark space
long after the spacecraft has reignited
engines, banked and turned and headed
off into its other rendezvous (plural)
with Time, Space, Being, Meaning, 
Lore, Myth, Fragmentation, Logic,
and (perhaps) Fact  -  which is in
reality just its own crazy scrim of
fractious, hanging stars falling deep
through the darkness of vapid and
void space, time, and energy, making
new things up as it all rolls along.
Stephen Hawking, where are you now?
In the 1960's the royal College 
of Art (Britain) produced a 
remarkable crop of painters, 
including the Ohio transplant 
R. J. Kitaj (to be pronounced
'Kitay'), and the prodigious 
David Hockney.  Balthus. Francis 
Bacon.  Point of fact was, you could 
be in America, and not even really
know of these people unless you
studied and sought and got out of
all that media-mush that was
playing around with art at the 
time. Crummy steel forged in
the really bad media-mills of
Time/Life. Once you got to it,
this was not American art 
any longer  -  the entire New 
York School era having closed 
in upon itself and been broken 
into by the stranger likes of 
Pop, Op, and Conceptual
Art, or their beginnings.  New 
things were breaking out 
everywhere. No one concentrated,
unless you were deeply involved 
in whichever part of all this was 
yours, on the overall essentials 
of building decent art. The world
has somehow become one, big
paparazzi flashbulb, an exposure 
to a sort of creepy lightheartedness
and fluff  -  the in crowd, with 
the happy people, then chartering 
their odd cross-sexuality slowly
into thee mainstream as 'Art' 
and as 'Culture'  -  from Jerome 
Robbins to Leonard Bernstein 
to Truman Capote, one weird 
act followed the other. It was
fun and new and brash. Every
name we know now as old-hat
and probably passe, in those days
was first passing the lips of the
cocktail crowd. I was, from the
sidelines, caught up in a lot of
that; just watching, to see how it
was done and manufactured and
presented. I realized it was a
culture 'Industry,' and to so many
it was a new line of work, in fact,
their factory. Artforum, Art in 
America, Art Illustrated, American
Artist, Mainstreams of  Modern 
Art, by John Canaday. I'd
page through endless art 
magazines, see things, visit
galleries, read books, and try 
to produce. In much the same way
as I used the word 'promiscuous'
before, that was me in the art 
world. Like a girl constantly 
having sex but wishing NOT 
to get pregnant with
any one thing.
-
I've always realized that if a 
person misunderstands Life, 
in its essential points, the game's 
up. That's  why people stand around, 
vacant. Holding hoses and picking 
crabgrass out of lawns. We are born  -  
God-given, that  - with the eyes, ears, 
and open mind to put something 
together from the magical raw
material given to us. If we
insist on not catching on, and
doing nothing with all that, there
really can be hell to pay.  And
this time, it's not just a flash-fire
like the ones I mentioned 
here at the start.




No comments: