Saturday, June 2, 2018

10,661. STUDEBAKER HAREM

STUDEBAKER HAREM
It used to be, when the cookie
factory was really rolling, the 
smell wafted all over town. If
you really liked chocolate, your
nose had it made. It was weird,
living in a place so jaded that no
one ever mentioned the aroma 
in the air. Just down from that  -
a junkyard and scrap-metal place
now  -  was the old factory that 
had once made Studebaker cars.
-
That typical 1924 look of industrial
factory architecture, the bank-wall
of windows separated by a metal
grid, the buff-colored brickwork,
replacing the red  -  that gave it
all away; there was no denying the
general use, and with the railroad
siding there, serving both the local
businesses, there were workers always
around  - loading finished product or
bringing in supplies from far-flung
places. I was maybe 10, but I'd be 
lost forever, staring and watching
at the world I'd see.
-
And only then would I realize it
was all imagined : They'd both
closed years ago, and I was
just living in my head.

No comments: