Sunday, July 5, 2015

6855. THIS IS A HARBINGER

THIS IS A HARBINGER
A curb no higher than a turtle brings me back to
where I am. Thinking it was higher, I almost tripped.
Down, down, down  -  reminding me of that feeling
when, as a kid, you'd think there was another step
and there wasn't  -  or was it the other way around?
I forget  -  but it almost sent one flying.
-
I break my fall and come back to attention : 'Here' is
where I am. Concentrate on that please. What I remember
isn't much  -  a little while back, that was Fourteenth, all
this creepy people, buying and selling their junk. Then,
around a corner, maybe that was Pete's, that old tavern
by Gramercy. I can't even remember that now. Find
me a bench here, let me sit. You can keep going,
I'll catch up; don't let me slow you down.

No comments: