Tuesday, March 28, 2023

16,179. ZOE GETS MALIGNED

ZOE GETS MALIGNED
'When this place was great, I wasn't cool. Now, I stand
here on the sidewalk beneath the bar's neon sign. United
we stand, or divided we fall. I never know which it is. I
used to sit in this bar and try to stretch one drink over an
hour and a half because it was all I could pay for, the one.
I'd basically be sitting there, hoping someone could catch
sight of me, think me interesting enough to but a drink for,
and come over. It usually always worked. Biker shit, back
then, attracted people. Like maybe I was a murderer...'
-
Other times, I'd tell someone I was a writer waiting for
my agent, Irwin Schwartz, but he was late, and I was
doing stand-up on the side. Stand-up, on the side, get it?
It's funny. That too would usually get me a drink, and 
then I'd say I knew Mark Knoepfler, who'd be coming
back in about 20 minutes with a date. In so many ways
it was more fun being a stupid outsider making up stories.
-
There are a lot of people here I don't know. It must be
cool having a bar to which writers come, because then 
at least it gets written about. Right? I used to joke too,
'Nobody comes here except Tibetans.' But of course I
meant Tribecans, which party of NY this is.' They'd
laugh. If they heard me  - there wasn't that much else
to do. A lot of things have happened to this city, and a
lot of great places have gone under.' Another guy came
over, and said he lived on Duane Street. He said the bar
was more 'populist' than it was 'posh.' And then he said
'no writers come here; just journalists; but hey, are they
really 'writers? For real, man.'
-
'He's a nit wit, let him be. Everybody thinks this is a big
celebrity place, but the reality is that it's really just the 
best neighborhood bar in town; small and dingy some too.
The tourists come in here, thinking to see celebrities. So
I bring some in, for nothing. They drink for free, but they
tip the place, and the girls too, and the wait-service. Not
regulars, but I make them almost that. Then the idiot
tourist types keep coming in, or back. You can always
tell. They walk backwards, yet somehow hit the wall in
front of them, while gawking.' Paulette somebody, with
earrings on the size of business cards and a rhinestone
cross dangling from around her neck. Think she was 
Jewish? I wonder. Half blue hair, and a twisty hat.'

No comments: