Saturday, March 25, 2023

16,170. NEW MOURNING

NEW MOURNING
I thought I had all that and then it was
gone  - a locomotive motion rolling down
the rails. One shrug of my inattentive eyes
and shoulders, together, did it all in. The lanes
were then empty before me. I watched the rail
foreman bark out his commands : the postal car,
the newsstand barricade, the roller-carts for the
luggage. When Amtrak comes through this town,
this town knows it.
-
I later laid down to sleep, but couldn't. By then
it was 12:39 and I found it too restless to sleep.
I got back up. Was I hungry for something to eat?
No, but I really couldn't tell. I remembered those
white cows I saw along the trail. All they ever do is
eat, but I never see them sleep. Rather, they just
stand in place, and stare. Maybe that's the key.

No comments: