Friday, March 3, 2023

16,115. I HAVE HELL TO PAY

I HAVE HELL TO PAY 
(summoner's song)
When the call rang out for
attendees, I volunteered. Now
I'm stuck in a situation I never
bargained for. Standing at the
straight and narrow, I've got
nowhere else to turn. Damn
this life again.
-
This ancient hotel has a
peeling font; the windows sag
and nothing seals very well
There's a girl in the next room
I'd like to meet, but she's with 
a contingent of old Navy cadets.
-
The guy said the charge here was
$141 a night. I said 'What if I only
stay in the day?' - I can't stand the
creepy types who never laugh at
anything, funny or not. Just go
with the moment, Joe?
-
Have you ever noticed how the
phone never rings anymore? I mean
the old phone, with that rattle and ring,
desktop stuff, that could be used as the
excuse to break up a lousy conversation.
Now? Every conversation's a lousy
one  -  with but little information on
a hand-held walking phone, between
fluff, videos, pictures of food, and
God knows what else. You can use
them for directions, when you don't
know where you're headed? I bet.
-
I'm still holding the dossier they told
me to keep. It's old-fashions spy work
too, and I thought by now they'd be 
doing it in some other fashion. But,
my boss (unknown to me, really), 
said some of these old, crazy and
east-european countries have such 
bad 'service' that such things are
better just kept to paper in the old
style. Well, OK then. He added,
'It's safer that way.'

No comments: