Wednesday, January 1, 2020

12,429. RUDIMENTS, pt. 919

RUDIMENTS. pt. 919
(a real fan of yours)
Blackwood, NJ is 15 miles from
Philadelphia, and it's where I
spent a good portion of my teen
years, in 'seminary.' It' also about
10 miles from Camden. Both of
these places, for someone like
me, represented new and strange
foreign lands with their own
and different each orbital spheres
of influence. It was 80 miles or
so along the Turnpike the few
times my father drove me there.
Usually, if I was on the move, the
bus to and from New Brunswick
was fine enough, and I liked it better.
It felt more worldly. And meandering
too  -  all those little stops and spots
in between. I got to know a lot of
the weird little towns down there
from bus travel. With my father
driving, it was just slam-bang; a
fast and direct trip from highway
to exit, and I had to think of things
to say too, so it wasn't just all
quiet. My father hated my idea
of seminary and priesthood. He
thought it was worthy of a real
fruitcake and not a son of his.
We never argued over it, but he
expressed his displeasure more
than once.  I think if I had said
I'd changed my mind and wished
instead to take up ballet he'd have
rolled me out at Exit 4 while
doing 70 mph.
-
Anyway, there were so many
different worlds mixed up in all
this - think of it from my oddball
perspective as a 12-year old kid:
cloistered living, among all boys,
a private-school, rigorous setting
of study, learning and meditation
and religion too. I never cared much
about that  -  it was a cover. The way
gay guys get a girl, often gay as
well  -  to act as their mate or
companion. A beard, it was called.
That's how religion there was for
me  -  I had an interest, studied
and all, but I never really fell for that
intense, multi-church appearances
and daily mass stuff. The whole
religion part of it, for me, was a
cover, a false reason for being there.
I learned a lot from that 'other' side
of the altars and it was tedious
and bland and, yes, choppy and not
very manly. Agreed, Dad. Those
are all modern definitions and
considerations. None of that
applied back then  -  whatever
was going on, it all went unsaid.
Suffice it to say, 'maturing' with
some 300 other boys, four different
age groups, in a group setting
was not my idea of pleasure. Not
depravity exactly, but more than I
ever cared to know about. It was,
in its way, strangely destructive
to a normal boy's maturation and
upbringing. It was just all too
much  -  different age groups,
a million guys showering at once,
a line-up of kids brushing their
teeth at once, pajamas, different
ages  - we had mature hairy-balls
guys mixed in still with lamb-skin
baby kids. On the whole, I guess
not good. It sure made me wince.
-
There's a characteristic core within
each person that has to be come to
terms with. I came to terms with
mine early on. Train wreck, seminary,
misplaces hopes and expectations.
Quizzical outlooks, inquisitive mind.
I was a walking timebomb and really
didn't wish for anyone to be talking
to me or trying to figure me out. But,
to hell, those seminary types were
always the ones  -  with their 'spiritual
advisor' crap and all the rest, who'd
want to be getting into my head.
The place was so borderline
perverted in its own ways that I
could never figure from where
these lurkers came from. Behind
every rock and bush, it seemed,
there was an enforcer of some sort.
Tedium. (We used to sing the Te Deum,
which was its own tedium). Blind
faith, tortuous logic, miracles, chant,
prayer and humming. All together.
And never a word about Thomas
Merton.
-
He, by the way, was electrocuted
by a cooling fan. Cosmic freaking
justice! Merton was about the only
religious figure, I'll admit, who ever
really appealed to me. I got caught
up. He was the entire flipside of
all that Padre Pio and Mother Theresa
malarkey that set in later. This guy
was tough, gumption was amassed
within him. It was the sort of power
from within that organized religion
had long ago abandoned, forgetting
itself in the process; but it was where
I wanted to be. To have someone 
like that be killed by his electric
room-cooling fan, in Thailand no
less, really hurt.
-
One time, at Barnes & Noble, when
I used to run a sort of poetry session,
of sorts, on Friday nights, I was reading
aloud one night to the 16 or 20 people
who'd came, and this guy, from the 
sidelines is standing there, watching.
It was a bit weird. When I was done,
he came over, and speaking to both
myself and the group, stated that he'd
been listening from the side and just
wanted to say that he'd heard was some
good, 'muscular' poetry. I'd never had
my work described as 'muscular'
before, but I sensed immediately
that that was the same attitude I'd
had about Thomas Merton, and his
'muscular' religion. It was pretty cool
as far as moments go. Turned out, the
guy was like a half-famous poet in
that crowd, Joe Weil, once from 
Woodbridge but now Binghamton,
NY, where he taught at the university.
He said he'd heard my name from 
folks at the Barron Arts Center and
they always spoke very highly of me.
It wasn't Thailand, thought I but I
had my own fan! Just hoped it
wouldn't kill me. I had no idea why
he needed to be lurking on the
sidelines just so as to later say
the work was 'muscular.' And
I wasn't sure really what the meant
in the poetry scheme of things. But
it sounded right.  Joe was cool, a
little fireplug of a red-headed
type; seemed ready to square off
at any time. Muscular!

No comments: