Wednesday, January 8, 2020

12,451. RUDIMENTS, pt. 926

RUDIMENTS, pt. 926
('blind leading the blind, they both fall into the hole')
I've had plenty of blind spots
and blind times in my day,
and I still do. It's my intent,
as time may allow, for me
to cover many of them over
with learning, knowledge,
etc. I want to learn more about,
for example Kenneth Patchen.
No real reason on that one,
except that numerous times
I've been brought to the
direction of his work a few
times and never followed up.
A lacuna, let's call it. I used
to know a NY guy who was
way into Patchen. I looked a
little, but it seemed formidable,
and even though he (Patchen)
appeared manly, he wasn't much
of that. But he had a good NYC
presence, Village area, before
the moves, etc, to California
and Palo Alto : and I'll check
it out. ('I'll Check It Out' is a
small town near me. The Mayor
is a small-time Asian hoodlum
named 'Wen U Get Tuit').
-
People have always said odd
things about me, or my work
anyway. At Barnes & Noble
one time, one of the ladies I
worked with said, after reading
and hearing some of my stuff,
'I can't believe it, he writes
just like he talks,' (Maybe it
was 'he talks just like he
writes.' I can't really recall).
And then, just recently here,
someone noted how they were
amazed how I could write just
as if I was sitting there talking
to the person being addressed.
I guess it's true, perhaps, but
it's really not an accidental
thing. I've worked on those
procedures for years. At first
it was all just small-time junk,
enticing others, finding shared
feelings, things about love and
loss and hurt and anguish  - a
lot of that prevalent adolescent
and broken-heart, betrayed
emotion grimacing in words.
That's such a dead end, but
most people, when they get to
writing, never get out of that
rut. Everybody has feelings,
problems, heartbreak, senses
of loss, superiority, and
inferiority. They're really
quite boring, actually, emotional
states to be in, and it only gets
worse when a self-centered
person starts slogging through
them, and then making it worse
by dragging others through the
same stupid muck  -  without
any intellectual background,
and literary shroud over it all.
Jeepers, something has to BE
there first, otherwise you're
just another one of those
noisy hubcaps with a stone
in it. Try rap music.
-
My longest and hardest work,
at first, was in developing what
I called 'the long line.' In poetry
today, and certainly in most of
this Internet drivel that gets
thrown about, the 'long line'
is old and passe. It reeks of
labor and old. Everything now
has to be sleek, punchy, small,
quick, and compact. Colloquial
even  -  God forbid the content
is dense or difficult or challenges.
References today must be thin
and cheap. I worked on a 'long
line' idea for a long time. (no
pun; it just is). I recently, in
fact, slipped one in on a recent
piece, to see if it worked for me
yet, and felt comfortable. Here it
is* : "Much like a random sheeting
of rain on a map-glass for places
that did not exist, intentions
covered everything fully; to
leave blurs and runnings on a
simple viewing-pane. One
thousand steps I'd climbed
to be here." That's a fairly
decent example of what I'm 
touching on, and  -  for your
good or for your bad  -  you're
not going to find that sort of
thing much in any casual
reading. I'm not sure how
'comfortable' that makes anyone
feel, nor if it's the manner in 
which I 'speak'  -  but there 
it is. OK, and now, having
reached that point, some few
years back, I worked from it
in reverse, and tried to polish
and make two things happen:
Being a 'tad' more succinct, by
poetic standards, in the drive
for the 'forehead' of the reader; 
and, secondly, heading farther
out into the field of 'abstract.'
Which is actually difficult with
words, which, at any level, must
retain a sort of referential strand,
their own DNA! then to get their
ideas across, and propagate, in
the writer's head as well, the work
for the next step. (Sorry for being
off the wall here).
-
None of this can be calculated
either. Everywhere I went, all
around the NYC poetry people,
all those endless readings and
tufts of self-important sorts
blatting about themselves, the
places I went to for readings
and presentations  -  Arts Centers,
Plainfield (when it was still of
some value), Chatham, Westfield,
Maywood  -  no one was, really,
working on  a thing except the 
moment they were in. The Goth
crowd wrote their Goth shit; the
rude crowd wrote their rude shit
(I'm using 'shit' here as emphasis),
musical influences, sports guys,
mall people, and even joggers.
Those last two deserve sincere
mentions  -  notations for idiots.
This really sloppy guy, with bad
diction and flabby presentation,
would come to the Barron Arts
Center and read his 'challenge'
poems to mall strollers and
shoppers  -  things he wrote
there while spending inordinate
amounts of his daily time grooving
at the Woodbridge Mall and getting
'something' I suppose out of the
passers-by and shippers. Another
guy wrote and recited a 'poem' 
that started out : 'Jogger girl
jogging  in sweater; how I'd like
to know you better...' I asked him
if he was sure he didn't just mean
'Jogger girl jiggling in sweater...'
-
Yes, then, there were all kinds,
and I took them all too. But, see, the
thing with 'Poetry' is you can't be like
that (sweater girl stuff). You can't just
say that sort of thing. The whole thing
about Poetry is working to find other
ways of saying that, without ever
going near saying it. But that's
too much like work. Right?
-
*Gifford and Garrison, #12,425





No comments: