Tuesday, January 14, 2020

12,467. LIFE ISN'T WHAT YOU JUST PASSED, IT'S WHERE YOU FIND IT UP AHEAD

LIFE ISN'T WHAT YOU JUST 
PASSED, IT'S WHERE YOU 
FIND IT UP AHEAD
The lady called 'Mim' just rang
me again; I know she's not a real
person. There's a pause between
everything she says, and it sounds
like I'm talking to some girl in Mumbai.
-
You can't fool me, dearest Mim.
But, anyway, I'm probably doomed
now, because I didn't send her the
2,000 bucks needed for keeping the
Government from shutting me down.
Like 50,000 idiot soldiers aren't
already on line at their posts.
-
It gets pretty cruddy around here in
the off-season; things like this occur
all the time. The guy up the road is
securing the load on the back of his
Yukon  -  he goes, twice weekly, all
Winter long, with something loaded
for Endicott and returns always
empty and alone.
-
Nothing wrong with that; every man has
has the power of his own purse-strings.
I would hope we haven't lost that yet. I
always like to remember what that old
guy named Jenno Hobie always told
me (he's now long dead): "Life isn't
what you just passed; it's where you
find it up ahead."


No comments: