Thursday, January 16, 2020

12,472. RUDIMENTS, pt. 933

RUDIMENTS pt. 933
(declaring myself Sheriff)
The best way of doing anything
is to do nothing at all. If I were
to say to you (glaciers, however,
melt faster than me, so don't 
sit up waiting), 'Do nothing
until you hear from me,' you'd
certainly end up doing nothing
because you'd not hear from me.
Many years of studious intent
have led me to that conclusion,
and it is not, therefore, just some
idle talk. The bane of human life
is 'activity.'
-
Motivations are key factors  -  in
the work of others. Getting it over
on you. I once had a 'boss' for a short
few years, even less, actually, who
was all about that and only that, and
she played hard. It was all superfluous
vanity and a disingenuous toying
with both words AND the fates and
minds of others. Without mercy; she
was so convinced of the devious
rightness of her sourcing, perhaps
thinking  -  at the printing counter  -
(these were NOT the bookstore
people) that none of this was noticed
by others; but she was as obvious as
a mole rat when it finally does leave
its mole-rat lair. The only thing any
of that taught me was that I truly
disliked the mercenary aspects of
money and business. Funny thing
was, she too at first came across as
an 'artist'  -  at least to herself. John
Lennon portraits can be very
convincing, I guess, until the
fact is realized how poorly they
date. I had to shake all this, and
roughly, from myself  -  because
all this employment crap became
untenable to me. It wasn't that I
owed the world anything  -  the
world owed me, yet I never got
anything back except the duplicitous
crap of the wandering snipe and the
meandering few  -  losers all, and
all across their own deserts of
infamy, chosen or not. They can
have it all.
-
There's only one kind of purity
in  this world, and that's the sacred
purity of self. Anything else, I
don't even want to hear it.
-
I'd guess the weirdest and most
uncanny silence, and cold, I'd
ever had to face was on the night
of my arrival to Pennsylvania, just
me, in the new house I'd just
bought. Knowing nothing about it.
It having no real heating system of
any value but a trickle. I knew
nothing about the house, other
then where a few switches were.
I had a torchlight of my own, two
Winter coats, some blankets and
nothing in the cold and empty rooms.
The dark and the cold were of an
instant pitch of blackness I'd never
seen before  -  'country-black' to
be sure. My companions? 10 zillion
nighttime January stars, as sentinels,
high above me. I was amazed. The
rooms indoors (darkness had fallen
by 4:30 pm, and after that it was
mostly all by luck) were barren,
echoey, and cold. There seemed an
absolute emptiness in the bizarre
old house  -  it felt as if it was
last occupied in 1912. That was
not the case, but I knew nothing;
moreover, it was as if I'd drop-kicked
myself into another population,
which population knew all the
names, agents, and participants of
local life and lore (including the
house itself, as I later found out),
while I knew none of it but simply
took up me newly-acquired role and
ran straight for the center. By such
actions maybe, stage legends are
made, but I wasn't one of those.
There's a ghostly feeling in the deep,
dark of night when you are suddenly
in some place totally foreign and
unmade to you, without recourse
to reference or any means of comfort.
To many people, that about sums up
life itself, but I was a bit more curious
than that. None of this put me off:
I slowly entered the cellar stairway,
after creaking upon a rear door in
an area some later called a 'Summer
kitchen' but which to me then seemed
just an added appendage at the back
of the house  -  filled with debris, tools,
and metal of some thirty years part.
I did finally get light from one dim
bulb there, and getting past the
doorway to the first few cellar steps
was more adventure than risk. I
guessed there had to be a light, so
I scanned the wall areas with the
torchlight I had, finally finding
a switch and (ever so cautiously
and with trepidation) flipping it.
Lights came on!
-
There was still a deafening silence.
No applause or cheers, and though
the scene could have been the Roman
catacombs or some Roman arcade,
there were no lions setting out to
tear at me if I'd not renounce. I'd
never been in  a space of this sort
before. Half, at least, of the 'floor'
here (the rest was hard dirt and
broken concrete, was a monstrous
slab of flat, ancient rock. Is there
any other kind?). Were fire, pestilence,
and earthquake here to break out,
I'd probably be safe. This was some
solid underpinning, but I immediately
wondered, how did they secure a
house to a rock, all that biblical
stuff notwithstanding - about faith
and solid rock and Peter and all.
I filed the thought away for
another time.
-
Besides being built on rock, the 
house, at this lower section here 
had two large swing-out doors;
they acted as 'garage doors' if
one were bringing a car (or a
tractor) in, and when open they
afforded a half-expansive view
of some countryside  -  the two
pond which went with the house, a
distant farm, and the surrounding 
landscape. In any case, I knew
none of this at this first-night
stage. I was working blind, and
stumbling my way trough a
new nothingness. Pretty cool,
thought I, pretty cool. I was in
my own ghost town, and had
declared myself 'Sheriff.'
-
Nature here was, already, wild and
out of control. But at least I had
my quiet, and my space.



No comments: