Monday, January 13, 2020

12,462. RUDIMENTS, pt. 930

RUDIMENTS, pt. 930
(stop wrestling with the cat)
Sometimes, the directions that
things take me in get pretty
outlandish. It's always been
that way, pretty much, over
the years, as people seem to
be just letting me in on things,
talking about stuff without
really being asked. I'm a
cursory kind of guy around
others, not overly talking too
much, keeping it discreet.
Yet, at the same time, others
very quickly come forward.
Here's an example, an easy
one. I write these stories,
often about old days but
often, as well, interweaving
current things that have just
happened. As a writing exercise,
it all works: Just the other day,
I'm out on the road, traveling,
and ending up in a town I used
to live in, about 300 miles
from home. Completely
without lead-in or any start,
I'm  standing outside, with my
dog, a double set-of storefronts,
on the left a used bookstore,
and on the right a liquor store.
My wife's in the bookstore
while I wait around  -  this guy
approaches, out from the rear
of the stores  -  grassy old road
and path, and he was surely
headed to the liquor store. This
is the 'south' side of town, which
mostly means bad news. The
physical places are mostly shot,
the houses are a wreck, most
of the storefronts are closed up
or boarded. Not a nice scene.
This guy, though the nicest
guy in the world, I could tell
was a representative of the
down and outers there. The
dog instantly becomes the
focus of conversation, after
the preliminary, 'hey bro,
what's up?' stuff. He lacked
maybe three or four teeth, top
row, but otherwise seemed
hale enough  -  chugging on
a cigarette mightily, but in
all respects happy and content
with himself and his situation.
[I want to admit here, in the
poverty of Elmira it was actually
as pleasure to note people sucking
on real cigarettes at last  -  none
pf those candy-girl vapor clouds].
In scenes like this, I am adept
enough to know what to watch
for  -  no lurking sidekick, no
sly or criminal intent, no pleas
for money, or booze, or cigarettes.
That would have happened
already -  he was just a talker
and looking for an ear. The
talk turns to the dog  -  age,
behavior, and the rest. He says
he's got a husky now, nice dog,
but his previous dog was his
favorite; and he goes on about
it a bit.
-
One always needs to surmise
the mental scenario of such
people, as they talk. Watch
their eyes, see what they do
with their hands, watch their
feet  -   there's a sort of telltale
in-place walk that some people
do which usually evidences a
problem, whether from drugs,
medication, or, again, intent.
So, feeling OK, I take a little
of the bait, and ask about the
dog he liked; what was it, how
did it die? Old age? etc. This guy
seemed like little could throw
him; he was in control. Not a
big guy, slightly slighter than
me, though who knows what
lurks. I know well the format
of southside living, from my
own days in town, and know
too that it's gotten worse. (I was
never a denizen of the area, the
other end of the 'city' was my
territory, home, and center).
So he says the previous dog
was an Alaskan Malamute.
Then he goes into the whole
litany of the dog's good points,
and this leads, unfortunately,
to the climax of his story  -  the
dog's death. I'm figuring old
age, doggie cancer, a tumor,
whatever, probably forgetting
that I was on the brutal southside,
the edge of everything, the center
of a certain form of old Elmira
iniquity. It all turned out very
badly here, this conversation, for
the words the guy used, which
do still baffle me. I'll get to it.
But, first, he says, in a very
matter of fact manner, 'My 
friend threw it off the cliff, 
where I live, and it strangled 
itself, got hung.' Yep, you
read that correctly. First off,
he puts it in the voice of
making it the dog's fault. It
strangled itself? Secondly, 
did he mean maybe a second 
or third floor porch? He used
the word 'cliff'  -  heard quite
clearly and correctly, by me.
-
There are times when I just
figure all things are right and
correct, and any confusion stems
from me, not the situation; so
that's how I took this too. Maybe
I'd just missed something along the
way. Was I expected to respond?
Say something weird back? A
follow-up to the whole 'friend'
thing. Friend? Is that how it
was done here? Throwing
your dog to a hanging?
-
A couple days go by, now it's
today; I'm driving back to home,
and we cross the border, up above
the Water Gap, into some truck
stop place  -  coffee, food, gasoline.
Again, I'm standing around and
the gas guy starts talking. Mostly
about New Jersey, seeing my
plates. So I (stupidly?) ask if he
lived nearby. He says, (relating
a story here, his words),  "No
f'n way. I ain't never livin' in
Jersey again; it's too f'd up. Rules
and laws, trouble. I live in Pennsy,
with my guns. They said I couldn't
take 'em into Jersey if I moved
here. My AR15's are my babies.
I got 7 of 'em. I said, 'What?
What if I take the bayonets off?'
The agent says, (deep voice here),
'No form of assault weapons are
allowed into the State of New
Jersey, bayonets or not.' That's
screwed up man, no way, not
for me. Where I go they go. So
I drive 25 minutes each way to 
get here. Then when I get home,
I wrestle with my cat, and I can
never fall asleep. Next thing I 
know, it's one-a.m., and I say,
'hell yeah, better sleep. I gotta'
be back here for 7. But it beats 
Jersey. You have a nice day now..."
-
So, if that's not a story a day, two
sometimes, I don't know what is.
I got to thinking about the future,
as I drove away  -  hoping just as 
much I was driving away from the 
future. Both these guys were male;
one was about 25  -  the gas guy  -
and the other, the dog guy, I'd
guess 40. The dog guy lives in
his poverty, probably with state
support and no problems over it.
The other, the gas-kid, makes his
choices, stays out where he wishes,
and, along with his guns and a
certain talky cheeriness, reaches
for his own Life, Liberty, and
Pursuit of Happiness  -  as I
pass a large American flag,
slamming in the wind, way
high up on a pole. Who's to
say right or wrong, and what
that flag is flying for anyhow?





No comments: