Friday, January 3, 2020

12,435. RUDIMENTS, pt. 922

RUDIMENTS, pt. 922
(I was drinking something, and calling it...)
In 1955, the Polish writer
Adam Wizyk, in his 'A Poem
For Adults,' wrote of a 
Poland where students were
'shut off in textbooks without
windows,' and where language
had been 'reduced to thirty
magic formulas.' In his most
famous verse, he wrote : 
"They drink sea water,
crying: 'lemonade!' - returning
home secretly to vomit."
When that was published, I
was six  -  obviously, not
in any way knowledgeable
about it. However, in later
years, and in light of all else
that had been brought my way,
those few words stood out as
reliable beacons to a heart
bent on resolving my own
conflict about what I was
being handed. To believe in
any of it  -  that which 'Society'
was offering, necessitated
the believing of none of it,
for it was all so outlandish
as to be patently ridiculous.
And wrong. No one else, it
seemed, knew this except 
me. In its way, that seems 
right, if only because within 
the course of a life we are 
all involved in our own 
moments of life, as if in a
very personal film working 
towards its own conclusion  
-  of which, really not too 
many others could share. 
When you come right down
to it, that's the way things are.
Singularity and oneness are 
the mean. When you hear 
communards now bleating
their pathetic 'We're all in 
this together! It takes a village!
Be as one now!' you must
know it's all bullshit. We're not
that in any way  -  if we were,
then I would be able to say:
Stop! Stop producing cars
and houses; stop cutting the
local woods and forests and
stop applauding each month
the number of 'New Housing
Starts,' as part of positive goal
instead of a negative, which 
it actually is. I would be able
to say, and be heard, 'Close down
restaurants, and corporate food
havens, and water plants. Stop
producing wanton sheaves, by
the billions, of paper products,
wipes, perfumes and sprays.
Stop paving the land. Cease the
ruination of all things by the
impoverished thinking-edicts
of those in power, enforcing
their lame goals and ends, using
their non-functional brains to
illicit local ends. Stop population
growth; stop harboring fugitives.
End captive, police-car schooling
in locked-down caves of nothing.
If you are in MY village, I will
exile you, right now. Be gone!
-
I never really know where to source
all this stuff from  -  my own earliest
days? The train accident times? The
seminary? NYC? Art Stuff, Studio
School, jazz loft guys? It's all
too much for me to sort, so I just
let it flood its way along, I guess,
my drain. I can break my own life
into a hundred and more tiny
segments  -  like that microscope
reference in the previous chapter,
it's much more viewable that way.
There's never any escaping the
thematics of a life, and they
remain fairy obvious, for good
or bad, along the way. I asked
my friend Andy Bonamo once
why he was doing all this (he was
running a really small-scale drug
supply operation out of my place
at 11th street) and he just shrugged,
saying something like 'Well we've
all got to be doing something. If I'd
ever known I'd be doing this, here,
I'd probably have stayed back in
Alhambra. This is really small
scale shit for a guy like me.' He
had those stars in his eyes, the
kind that movie-makers make
films about. Crime. Overreach.
Death. But, his 'thematic' was
always there, in everything he 
did. He was smooth, and slick, 
and into any situation he was
able to slide and fit. I went
with him once to one of his
big-deal supplier guys. It was
up somewhere in the e60's. It
was about money, the meeting
was  -  no 'merchandise' was
changing hands. Andy and this
guy were swift and tight; right
in place with each other. It
was amazing to watch. The 
place was fearsome, a really
amazing, wealthy high-rise 
and set-up, and this guy was
more like business than crime,
about all of it. He and Andy
were talking terms, splits,
and how-to's. I just sat there
dumb, watching. Never even
knowing why I'd gone. First
off  - and just as well  -  they 
never really payed me any
mind after the most cursory
of introduction. Andy never
talked much of any of these
undertakings, and I didn't much
like any of it, but there I was. It
paid my rent (through Andy).
Silent partner to nothing. That
was me. I saw, from the very
first, that 'something' about him;
whatever he possessed, some
elan, or business acumen, way
beyond me. He was sly, and 
always on the alert. Even the 
way he pounced once he learned
I was looking for a place to stay.
It was all over before it started.
Sometimes maybe there really
is something to the ways that
people get 'enticed' into other
ideologies and practices which
weren't natural to them, and
it's still a lonely feeling to be
out somewhere, all by yourself
and not knowing exactly how
you'd arrived there.
-
The scene then was that there was
no scene. I was drifting. I ended
up in the same place where he and
a few other loser types worked, and
from then A followed B followed C.
It was a dangerous life, for the brief
time it lasted  -  good too, but
dangerous. I was drinking
something, and calling it
lemonade.


No comments: