Friday, January 3, 2020

12,434. RUDIMENTS, pt. 921

RUDIMENTS, pt. 921
(looking at ted kaczynski)
Life always presented me with
a certain catalogue of problems,
things I willingly accepted.
None of it really bothered me,
just rather made me think; as
I went along  -  sometimes I
found that I was able to
breezily go on alone, doing my
task or work or business at
hand, on one level, but have
my mind and all that occupied
on a complete other level. One
time some guy asked me if I'd
ever been driving somewhere,
preoccupied in my head, and
some minutes later realized that,
wherever I was at that point,
I didn't remember getting there
or what landmarks or recognizable
things I'd passed along the route
to getting where I was. I said,
'Yeah, sure; I know that feeling
well.' I did, and it never bothered
me. So did that guy too, I guess.
It was as if there were a few different
levels of anything happening at any
one time and the work of the mind
and the work of the body are in
some way working together but
quite separately. That's a good
thing, how the body can work
diligently for its own good. It's a
complicated vehicle for carrying
the other half of our duality  -  the
scurrying mind, conceptual and
forming as we roll along. Maybe
those old people who wrote 'Merrily
we roll along.....etc' had a good
feel for earthy reality. (I think that
was a song or a nursery rhyme or
something, and it (in my own
mind anyway), it ended with, 
'All the live-long day,' though
I think that was a railroad song).
I always liked it all, no matter.
There is a place in consciousness 
where all borders fall away and 
everything jams together and 
makes their new alliances. That's
how reality gets constructed.
That raw pile of 'it all' is what
artists and writers construct from.
It just takes willingness, and
some practice to get over
oneself and put that all aside.
The human mind sometimes
struggles like a frightened bird
to escape chaos. I accept chaos.
Figure it thusly: Dreams and
sleep, as a chaos, are what we
spend forty percent of our lives
in. We are then victims, when 
awake, of our own ill-judgment;
to disease, to age, to external
suggestion, to nature's compulsion.
Doubting even its sensations, we
fall through it all, both wondering
and wandering, as we clutch at
straws of our own imagining. 
After seventy years of that, the
mind awakes to find itself then
looking at the dark void of
death. 'That it should profess
itself pleased by this performance
was all of the highest rules of
'good breeding' could ask? But
that it should actually be satisfied
would prove that it ended only
as idiocy.
-
I always wondered how it went:
Had things started out simple, and,
then gotten complicated; or was
everything made complicated,
right from Day 1? It was just an
idea to mull around. I forget the
name right now, but some
philosopher or person once
posed the idea that in all aspects
of things  -  problems, questions,
etc.,  -  the 'simplest' answer was
always the best. If that was so,
I figured that things had started
out complicated and over millions
of years had simplified themselves
down, into a sort-of simplicity,
like now, that we can live with;
even though we think it's complicated
and going always in the other direction,
with all that 'How difficult is life
today!' stuff, etc. The places I'd been,
over time, had taught me that no
matter what else, if you yourself
slowed things down (simplified them,
in essence), and approached any
task in a one-thing-at-a-time
manner, and went about the task,
after breaking it down, one thing,
one step, at a time, it all becomes
manageable. It's a bit like a scientist,
looking at a sample, a bug, spit,
or bacteria, in intense and isolated
magnification. That's when you
see all the squiggles and lively,
tiny, things always underway  -
all the smallest parts of our weird
dance of life, invisible for the
most part. I never knew if that
too could be considered part of
out initial'design,' but all that
stuff made me wonder.
-
So, even up on farmland, when
I lived way out in the booniees,
I could bide my time, driving a
tractor for hours, throwing hay,
spreading manure, or milking
some ace-cow's teats, and be
thinking about a hundred other
things as they come through.
I always liked the solitary
confines  -  and the solitude  -
all that stuff gave me. The same
went for NYC too  -  no one ever
threw me a second glance. I was
just an invisible nobody with the
liberty of all those streets and
places and situations. It was
pure gold, and the anonymity,
except for the draft battles and
the resisting and the fighting
back, was golden. But  -  and
this is where it gets odd  -  try
any of that stuff in 'school' and
you're in trouble right off. They
all try to mass-man you, fill
your head with the prescribed
notions and wicked-strange
ideas of society at large  -  so
you end up just like them and
you don't gripe about it either.
-
Now, when (yes, I found) when
I approached this entire thing
as if it were music, it brought up
an entire other field of thought, and
with it, one of my favorite words:
arpeggio. Musically, and life-ly,
I had stumbled upon a working
concept  -  and a word I figured
probably not everyone knew about.
But, reducing things to their smallest
components, within the breakdown
of larger time patterns and the
breaking up of the chordal structure,
much like life itself, gives us the
momentary magnification that
allows for the creation of that
moment, theme, mood, and
volley of information. People
do it all day long in music  -
to set their musical mood, to
simplify, to get to where they're
going, sound-wise  -  which is
just an inversion of silence, when
you think of it  :  As is slowness
and steadiness to a task, a
solitary confinement into the
space of getting things, meticulously
too, done to satisfaction. These
are all moments of simplification,
from the complex. Are they not?
-
I guess anything like that begs the
very question it poses? For me,
mo matter where I was, it all
became pretty simple, and I
really tried to keep it that way.
Now, for the most part, one
cannot do that, unless you're
that cabin guy whom his brother
turned in, in Utah or wherever.
Nice manifesto, though no one
reads it; it was squelched by the
authorities the instant it saw the
light of day. We're all now just
servants of the powerhouse.
I guess, about it all, I just
stopped caring.



No comments: