Wednesday, May 8, 2019

11,742. RUDIMENTS, pt. 678

RUDIMENTS, pt. 678
(I often felt a fool, but never a victim)
What was ever the difference
between a bluff and a lie? I
wondered. Sometimes a tactic
is a bluff, and sometimes
the rest is just a lie. It gets
all mixed up. Learning to
maybe distinguish the
differences becomes pretty
important. I always favored
the tactic of the bluff.
-
The word 'grotesque' means
having the qualities of a cave
dweller. It as always funny
to me how the same people
who took such glamorous
pride in the unveiling of
Mankind's origins would
then take exception to
something they found
'grotesque.' I never was
able to figure that out. And,
as I was growing up, I found
certain car designs and other
things to be grotesque, and I
could never, in turn, place
them in any particular right
location. Heck, I find lots of
things grotesque. One time my
friend and I were on an Open
House New York tour day, and
we opted for the Grand Temple
of the Masonics, somewhere
like 19th street maybe; I forget.
I'd say that was grotesque. Lots
of gilt and gold, ritual rooms,
meeting spaces, and even one
or two grand auditorium-type
sitting rooms  - the thing about
it was all the ritual therein that
was prescribed, for being done
in one peculiar, ritualistic, fashion.
All those levels and Grand Exalteds
and stuff. It was crazy. And anyone
who got near to asking a question
about any 'secret' stuff or procedures,
and hidden things, was quickly
steered elsewhere with bland,
flat answers debunking any of that
secret-society and ritual matter; 
answers pooh-pooing the entire order.
I never knew what to believe; the
bluff or the lie. I was never one for
falling for all that; I just thought it
was stupid and wasteful to have a
building like that, for an organization
like that too, squandering all such
money on false-front hidden riches.
Why so? Why fo they do that? I feel
anything that requires secret codes
and levels and handshakes of only
initiated 'elite' is a bunch of bunk. 
My friend there, on the other hand,
bought the entire story-line, lock,
stock, and barrel, thinking it was
the coolest place in the world.
-
Saul Bellow has a book, of essays
I think it is, called 'It All Adds Up.'
That title always got to me, and I
often thought that maybe his editor
or publisher had shortened the title
on him, from 'It All Adds Up To
Nothing.' That always seemed more
apt to me, because I felt that, and
still do, if any if this erstwhile
adventure adds up to anything, it's
nothing we'll ever know about
until later when we're out along
there riding on the Afterlife
Express. Or, maybe, based on
Nietzsche's theory, of eternal
recurrence, (initial caps there,
when used as Theory) his
thoughts came closer to
saying that  -  within the closed
components of our universe  - 
there were only a finite number
of ways any of these things
could recombine, and thus we're
damned or condemned to living
over the same lives, endlessly.
That was one scary piece of
info to know about! Yet, even
if it was wrong, even if I'd gotten
it all wrong, it was a good shaker
for my own foundations about
the Real, and where Faith and
Reality (must) collide. Because
the two can never go together.
We never operate from a closed
book, and Nietzsche's theory 
makes a closed book necessary. 
It is, in fact, a quite sterile, and 
a closed, theory of what might 
occur : Nothing. 'Now in 
darkness world stops turning; 
ashes where  the bodies burning.
Day of judgment, God is calling
...Satan laughing spreads his 
wings.' That's how Ozzie has it. 
War pigs, crawling on their bellies, 
begging for mercy, but getting 
none. The former masters of war 
are ushered into their eternal 
torment. 'I'd hate to be them
on that fateful day...'
-
I've often felt a fool, but never a
victim. Anything I did, I did myself,
or to myself, and every little move I
made was made with forethought
and an end in sight. Conceptually
anyway, that was my perfection.
That was the means by which I was
able to find appreciation of and in
every little thing I saw. In those
early days of design-neon, for
instance, I could walk Chinatown 
just to take in the bustling array
of really bad uses of neon signage
I'd see. It made life worth the
living  -  all through, walking
the Bowery, from e4th on down to
Canal and then Chinatown, it was
that mass-produced pandemonium
again of 'God, out on the street,'
as James Joyce had it. That all
worked for me  -  the performance
of time and being. No bluff there
however  -  all tactic.




No comments: