Monday, May 6, 2019

11,740. RUDIMENTS, pt. 677

RUDIMENTS, pt. 677
(playing those nature games)
The more I get involved in 
things, the more I figure the 
world is biased towards
the prevailing social viewpoint,
which is, I guess why it's the
'prevailing' one. Just today,
one more (this is going to 
sound stupid) I took exception
to the New York Time's daily
crossword puzzle, (a Monday
one, the easiest day of the
week for this 'progressive' 
puzzle. They get denser as
the week goes on.  In any case,
I don't like the direction it
takes  -  I don't like the entire
NYTimes anymore anyway; 
it's mostly unreadable now  
- neutered, slanted, prevailingly
biased, ironic, aware of itself,
often untrue in its half-truths,
and nowadays more magazine
featurelet-like than the older
'newspaper of record' that once
was. In fact, it's fairly pathetic
and laughable now. But, the
crossword puzzle itself has now
taken on the same characteristics. 
You'd think it wouldn't bother 
me, but it does. I hate to see the
downward slide: in addition to
everything else there's now a
good quantity of TV, move and
entertainment questions, of which
I know nothing and wouldn't have
in my mind -  no TV here, no
current input, thank you, for some
6 years now, and counting. When,
to my mind those sorts of evidences
begin floating up  -  curious clues
calling for pointed answers which 
would not have been the answers
twenty years ago, well, it's just
weird. They say language is a
changing 'reflector' of the times
in which it's spoken, and, then,
maybe so. But I need not like it.
-
A long time ago, at my father's
insistence mostly  -  as a kid  -  
I had to spend inordinate amounts
of time with him on his 'boat.' One
way or the other, these fishing
Saturdays out were, I'd now
suppose, his way of bonding
with his son, but to me they were
also a bit perplexing, even often
just off-putting. I was 'out' in a 
world, of his, that I didn't much
want, and felt as if my time had
been taken from me. The good 
thing about being young was that
I didn't sulk. I'd just go along.
Observing things  -  the water
and its swells and changing
colors, kelp and seaweed, the
shells and things on the reefs and
coastal islets he come to. The 
polished stones and glass, made
smooth and even by all the
turnings of the surf and tides.
Always searching, we well, for
the proverbial 'Help me' or
'rescue me!' message in a
washed up bottle. Which 
never appeared, thankfully, 
because I would only have 
thought it had been cast 
adrift by me.
-
If there was a crossword clue 
of interest, it would maybe 
say, 'watching fish die,' and 
the answer would be 'bored.' 
That was me. To my own mind,
all I ever came face to face with
were the unreasonable questions
of existence  -  which mostly 
seemed pathetic to me. The 
'catching' of fish being a case
in point. I don't know if 'catching'
is even the right word, since the
'catch' here is death, and finality.
My father and I never really
discussed any of this, nor what
was going on, but he'd occasionally
catch a fish, whether a bluefish,
or one of those flat fish (fluke or
flounder, I think). They would
just then be unhooked ( a horrid
process in itself) and chucked
down into a bucket or on the
deck, to just gag, flop, and
generally suffocate  -  if that's
the word for non-air breathing
things. You can't say 'drown,'
but at the same time, they don't
really 'breath.' That always
confused me too. 'What was
the sense of any of this?' I'd
think to myself  -  the last thing
I ever wanted to be was a form,
any form, or predator  -  which
is what a 'Human' in this situation
appeared to me as. 'Me go killum
fish!' 
-
It only got worse in later years.
I hooked up with bosses and work
people who were 'hunters' without
fail  -  bow and arrow season, small 
game, deer, doe, buck, cannon, rifle,
dart, whatever God-forsaken killing 
season someone would come up
with, these guys would take their 
4 or 5 days off and go greet that 
slovenly world of blood, death, 
and trickle, and greet it all with 
glee. It always seemed they were
sure to go hunting anything, only,
that didn't or couldn't shoot back.
Making your bets real safe, I guess
it was. They cheated the entire
system. Laying down scents, to
lure the unwitting  animal to its
untimely death. Sometime in
November, I think it was, there
was 'turkey season,' and they
be practicing, for a few days
beforehand, with their mouthpiece
turkey calls -  these were actually
sold in hunting stores  -  so that
the guy with the rifle would sound 
like a horny turkey, or a turkey
of some sort wanting to breed (I
knew a lot of them too, believe
me). The poor dumb turkey is
halfway to death already on
those mornings, just waking up...
and then to follow the false
call of a dumb-ass human with 
a rifle? 'Me go killum turkey!'
-
Yep, what a God-awful mess it 
all was. It always seemed like 
humans, bemoaning everything,
constantly complaining, simply 
had to have ALL things in their 
favor first, before they'd play any 
of their 'Nature games.' First off,
there wasn't anything rustic or
natural about it, and any 'ruggedness'
they pretended at, in the late 20th
century, was pure fiction, a modern
fable, or, as we liked to say in church,
'Bullshit!' The road to get where
they were going had to be paved, 
the highways, and Parkways, in the
case of the Jersey shore, for fishing,
had to be running freely, traffic
in good shape, their clothing dry 
and nice, their equipment perfect. 
The real-world chances of anything
going wrong for them was nil. They
still occasionally shot each other by
error. Soon after those days too, the
people who 'fished' began using
on-board fish finders and range
scanners, etc., to tell them where
the fish were, in schools or in some
form of plentiful grouping. That was
cheating too. There wasn't anything
copacetic or bona-fide about any of
this. Like I used to tell my father,
'It's a fluke if you catch a fish, if
this boat runs out of gas, we're 
going to flounder, and the only 
fish you're going to get in these
areas of schools of fish, are
groupers. (That was kind of a
joke, because I used to think there
was a kind of a fish too, called
a 'grouper.')...




No comments: