Saturday, May 25, 2019

11,780. RUDIMENTS, pt. 695

RUDIMENTS, pt. 695
(sand trap yellow, in the bunker)
I awoke one day it was late
1978, and I was in a different
place for sure. Have you not
ever had one of those moments
when you seemingly catch
yourself saying, 'Hey! How
did I get here? What am I
doing?' Well, that was me. It
was all tension, I was confused,
and almost as if unawakened,
thrown into other circumstances.
For one thing, I suddenly had a
larger than usual job. That's 
j-o-b! Yeah, just like that Bible
guy too, speaking of afflictions,
I suppose. I also suppose that
nothing matters but the numbness,
or, as the doctor says, wait a
few days and let's see if feeling
comes back. (Always fearing the
worst....'Before we amputate.')...
-
In Elmira, whenever it was, I guess
Nov. 1976, the only time I ever
voted, I walked an early morning,
-12 degree cold, to vote. What I
was thinking was way beyond me.
I voted for Gerald Ford, mostly only
because I thought one 'James Earl
Carter' was a complete, fizzled a'hole.
Of course, true to my form, 'Gerald'
Ford (whose real, birth name, by
the way, had been Leslie King. Bet
you didn't know that!) lost. Goes to 
show; don't ever get me on your
side. It was so cold that day, in
Elmira, that before the breath I
expelled was able to come out, it
froze in my throat as a solid piece
of ice. Man, I was spitting up
snowballs for days. Neither of
those guys was worth a vote, and 
I still can't really fathom why I 
did it, especially with such
determination. Idealism maybe
often wears the same cloak as
stupidity, and in either case 
whatever it was I was expecting
was one of those two things. I 
think it had something to do with 
the entire ethos of college, college
half-life, dead-city blues, a thrust
towards fake elitism among the
denizens of said dead-city. It was
like real easy to impress, back 
then, your average Dunkin' Donuts 
crowd. 'I vote for Boston Creme'
was more their style.
-
So a few years later, and there I
was. This President Carter guy 
was all of a sudden embroiled in
giving away the Panama Canal, 
as the story went, and everyone 
was in an uproar. The place I 
was working at was being 
re-paved, and parts of' it were
still under construction too, so
my daily parking had been 
relegated to a side-street next 
to a large 'Launder-Mat,' as they
had it phrased in a particular form 
of localized spelling, and a place 
called The Blue Bird Inn, which
was a sort of combo workingman's 
and Twinkle-toes bar. It was one 
of those nearly white, stucco'd 
places at the curb almost, of a 
busy road. No windows except 
two up-high porthole-type pieces
of glass, acting as windows. I 
truthfully only ever saw a few 
people going in, but there was, 
as I recall, a rear entryway
as well, so maybe I just missed 
it. Ten years previous, the place 
I was working (it was right across
the street there) in had been a 
regular house, farmhouse  -  sort 
of country-style, rambling, and 
then, after the farm-happy days 
around there were all over, it 
became a travel agency, on the
ground floor anyway, and they'd 
put in some new, larger, plate-glass 
sized windows for the travel agent, 
which were all covered over with 
those fantasy travel-poster photos 
you'd always see, of Tahiti and 
Samoa and all those exotic places 
Americans hadn't yet ruined.
-
The guy I was working for had 
a side-line career going as a 
builder of sorts. What were 
called 'professional buildings' 
once. (I never actually saw
an amateur building, though 
I had seen some really rickety 
places). He was pretty good at 
what he did, except everything 
always came out looking the
same. Ugly. Always tan stucco. 
Always lousy carpeting, tasteless 
entries and lobbies, poor signage, 
and little glass. Everything looked 
like a bunker  -  as seems to be 
the way for these places that are
simply erected to make money
and care little for anything else.
both aesthetics and taste included. 
Usually, I've found, you tell a 
lot about a place by its lighting 
fixtures. His were pure junk.
The old house I was talking 
about, he simply absorbed 
into the new structure he was
building (for the print shop 
wherein I was working). He 
just built all around it and then
opened it up. Inside, in the offices
I worked in, it was still mostly
like an old house, except all
squared off. You could tell
what had been the living room, 
bedrooms, etc. Now they were 
all offices and sales and record
keeping areas. Out back, which 
been pushed out and newly erected,
was a large, open-spaced factory
area, for the printing presses, etc.
It looked, in that section, like any
open, warehouse area.
-
That's how the onslaught of the
modern day goes about killing
the past. Eventually we lose it 
all so that a few power-players 
can make all their dough off it 
and leave us, the regular people 
who live there,  with their crumbs. 
And traffic and trucks and lights 
and driveways, etc. Suburbia's a
slippery slope once these sorts
get their hands on it. His passage
of pride, on Avenel Street, and I
still pass it daily, shaking my head
at what an amazing shitheap and
jumble I was once involved in
creating, was the old Shop-Rite,
which he re-purposed in the
absolute worse manner you 
could think of. Again, a Hitler
bunker, no windows, crummy
little glass, thick pasted-on
yellowish stucco, no front
doorway of any sort, and merely 
a pathetic and rude doorway
area at the rear, along what is
facetiously named 'Park Ave.'
(Right next to, by the way, 
'Fifth Avenue'. Even Avenel
somehow tried making mad 
fantasy leaps into high-toned
New York elite names, no 
matter that they here referred 
to rows of bungalows and
shacks. 'De Gustibus,' I think
is used to mean 'No telling for
taste.' Illegitimi non carborundum,'
by the same token, means 'Don't
let the bastards wear you down.'
-----
end of pt. A; pt B follows






No comments: