Thursday, May 2, 2019

11,728. RUDIMENTS, pt. 672

RUDIMENTS, pt. 672
(i'd heard of the burnng bush)
I like to impart knowledge,
and ideas. It was never
enough for me to just list
things; catalogers abound.
They are without color.
I intend always on going
past that : places that breath
and live on, way past their
own dates. I'll leave all that
to others. It was often quite
difficult for me to get myself
through to others. I seemed
often misaligned. This still
goes on, and it has its funny
moments too. Just tonight,
as a for instance, I was sitting
in a gallery reception for a
local art show, idly wiling
away the hour and a half
allotted to the  public's
'meet the artists' kind of
thing. Sitting nearby to
one of my show paintings;
people passing, the occasional
murmurings or short conversations
about who I was or which was
mine, etc. From where I sat
I could discreetly observe the
people passing a large work
of mine hanging there. Sixty
percent of the rest of the show was
probably the usual conservative
'Art' stuff : birds, seascapes,
portrait heads, photos of spires
and waterscapes and Fall scenes.
Interesting all, and skilled too.
A woman comes back to me, older
than I was, by a bit, and says 'You
didn't tell me this was yours on my
first time I passed.' I said, 'Yes, it is.'
She said, 'The experimental one!
It's very nice,' and she lingered,
looking closely at it. Then she
said, 'That's the kind of thing I
would do, if I was in any way
creative' I thanked her, and as
she walked away I tried thinking
about what she'd said, putting it
into some sort of context. I had
none. To me, it was the most
natural form of communicating
an image and idea as possible
yet she'd just transformed it
into some screwy form of an
outlier artistry  -  beyond ken 
and beyond meaning. Help me 
Rhonda, thought I  -  or, at least, 
help her. And they don't even
serve wine any more at these
local things. How do people
stand themselves, I wondered.
For a moment there 'I wondered
as I wandered', so to speak. Was
I that far around the bend that
some old, American suburbanite
can only defend me by calling
my work 'experimental?' Who
ever heard of that in the context 
of art anyway, as if it were some
new-fangled six-wheeled vehicle
for skimming on water.
-
Ah. Whatever; none of this matters.
There was a short story once  -  I've
read it twenty times I'm sure. It's
called 'A Perfect Day for Bananfish'
by J. D. Salinger  -  one of those 
strange, half-twisted tales of his
that rotate around young girls and
an older man, but in their own
peculiar way  -  not perverted or
sexual unless you read it that way
with all your own baggage. It's
experimental! It's actually almost
boring and old now  -  stereotypes
of Jewish preoccupations too, I
guess you could say  -  the shrink,
the nosing mother, the married
daughter, weird kid, beach, travel,  
idle time  -  and of course the
protagonist, of sorts, at whose
climatic ending the story itself
ends. Giving nothing away; let's
just say it ends. When I first read 
it, it seemed way more magical 
than it seems now. I was younger
and the words and characters
had a different representation. Now
it reads as stillborn  -  cliched and
predictable, and with quiet words.
And I still hate precocious kids.
But, Salinger wrote out of wartime.
Horror, loss and shame, all mixed.
Funny, too, all the horrors of the
war and memory he went through,
he was brought up on Park Avenue,
where, one after the other, the
psychiatrist offices are all lined up,
and now a neighborhood person
probably gets some preferential 
treatment and rate to partake
of the process. Lots of talking
going on around there. He ends
up writing about nutcases anyway.
-
I used to know this guy, a pretty 
disgruntled old guy, into his late 70's,
always ragging on about one thing
or another  -  blacks, Jews, etc.  - 
he hated them all. Sour on the 
world, he was; he had a daughter,
far off somewhere, Texas or so.
Probably hated Texans too. He
used to take the bus, go to NYC,
and then get on a city bus, and just 
ride all day. It was kind of cool,
he'd just stay on the bus and ride
the circuit, however it went. I
suppose he knew where he was 
headed, but maybe not either. He
said it would take him everywhere
and he'd get to see the sights, the
city, and all those people he was
always grumbling about. Fair deal,
I guess, if that was what you were
after. Pretty experimental form of
sight-seeing too. The difference was,
I figured, this guy grumbled.
Salinger at least wrote it, and
worked it all out that way.
-
All in all, what the hell. Would I 
be wrong to say that old Hildegard
represented quite by accident one 
of the more magisterial ways of living
a life  -  to me. Like going to the fish
market down at Fulton Street; that was
something people 'did,' but it really
amounted to nothing, reached no
further than the ends of their arms 
(hoping they always catch the flung
fish), changed nothing except for
someone's meal or some dumb
restaurant's daily bill of fare. I've
never seen 'bruised fish' on a menu,
so I guess those guys caught them all.
(Nor have I ever seen a 'Bananafish.'
Just goes to show, I suppose, about
experimentation). Hildegard though,
she saw everything just the way
she wanted, and made no bones
about it. That meant so much to
me, and I used to wonder how in
the world did I come by her? I'd
never heard her name before, they
claim she's a 'saint' too, but in
those seminary meal days when
some Piety Pete was up there
reading from the 'Lives of the 
Saints' book, I never heard any
no-tell about any Saint Hildegard
of the Magic, Flaming, Brush.
(I said brush; even though there
was a burning bush I'd heard of).

No comments: