Thursday, May 9, 2019

11,745. RUDIMENTS, pt. 679

RUDIMENTS, pt. 679
(real street-life theater)
The photographer Garry
Winogrand once said
something that I thought
was eminently sensible,
especially in light of the
way all those fancy photo
people with all their expensive
equipment go on and on
about their skill and their
eye, sensitivity, exposure,
etc. He said, 'A photograph
is what something looks like
to a camera.' (Winogrand
died in 1984, at the age of
56, leaving an entire body
of street-work behind). He
used high-speed black and
white film, mostly, and his
'hyperkinetic' shots of people
catch them, usually, at their
moment of unaware selves, or
'wary-too-late' selves. In
photographs of his pedestrians
and street-life people, everything
is a bit unrestrained, and a bit
haphazard. I was the same way,
all along my walks and work,
my eye itself acted as what
the camera saw (through). I
composed everything at that
instant. And I still do. Mostly
I leave people out. Mostly, I
say, because I do like the act
of photographing people  -  it
has to be quick and surreptitious.
People these days gt angered
easily  -  I never know why.
For some reason, (and I've
heard this) people right away
assume you are going to
photo them and  -  in the same
vein of old, when 'people' felt
you were stealing their soul by
taking their picture, do some
dreadful 'theft' thing with it;
like plaster it all over the
Internet. Sometimes. Maybe
they're right, but we now live
in a sort of post-consciousness
age when that sort of thing is
no longer kept controlled. The
new motto should be, 'Somewhere,
everyone is!' Kind of grand, no?
-
For much of my time I never
had money for a camera. Then,
when I finally did, my own
slow progress became thwarted
again by the costs of prints and
processing. So for the longest
time I mostly stayed with black
and white, often developing my
own matter in a closet with a
home-processing darkroom kit.
In the same vein, without money
for an enlarger, contact prints
began to be unsatisfying. That
small size was useless. So, as
soon as I could, I rolled over
into cheap send-away processing
and prints, then color, and,
finally, thank the Lord, digital.
I don't care about the rest; one
can argue the pros and cons
of digital versus the older
style of film photo-taking,
and I no longer care. To me,
the photo is the thing, and not
the hows and whys or the
means of getting it. That's
for debaters and elitists. I
never built my life around
that stuff, and I'm not about
to do so now. I'm too close
to my own vivid end now
anyway. I admit there were
some years (pretty dumb)
when I would pontificate, to
co-workers and others, of
some better 'aesthetic' purity
available with the b&w idea,
some sort of high-toned
rhetoric contingent on
nothing at all. Shame on me.
-
 A lot of all that was the usual
high-toned talk which you get
used to running in that crowd.
Like hanging out with Marxists,
or some strange cabal of small-
time revolutionaries; each stance
or position taken or uttered has
some ideological underpinning
and a point to be made, more
about the finer points of one's
own personal acumen than
about any issue at hand. It's
all a fake show and tell.
Unless you were, maybe
Berenice Abbott or Edward
Steichen, or Alfred Steiglitz,
none of that should matter.
The modern world already
owns you.
-
Numerous times, funny to bring
up, I'd see college kids all done
up in their faked-out military
garb (It was a bigger thing back
then, 1978 and into the 80's) to
take on the 'attributes' of being
a Sandanista, or some weird
South and Central American
'populist' woodcutter streetfighter,
proclaiming all their libertad
and equalidad and solidarity
stuff; all that crap while wearing
their boots and cammo, and
beret too, and these kids that I'd
see were ever rolling their r's
and all that just to sound authentic.
'Nicarrrauga', 'Sandanista,' all said
perfectly and with the exact
locution due. It was all so funny.
mainly because most of the time
they were either at Tower Records
to buy their Clash album (titled
'Sandanista') or Barnes & Noble,
or outside either. There was also,
about this time, in the base of
the Flatiron Building, a Maoist
Chinese bookstore called 'China
Books'  -  I used to love that place
and frequent it myself, often  - 
where you could get all sorts of
really cool Chinese pins and
clips, hats and clothing, lighters,
books, pens, etc., all with Mao
China red-stars and logos. I had
fun there, but can't admit to ever
having taken it too seriously.
-
In viewing the larger picture, after
a period of time, I decided that the
crux of all this was the basis for
our sham ideas of Democracy.
All of this junk was so open and
inconsequential that I was sure
it was a false effort put forth
and allowed by the authorities
over us. All they ever had to
do, for these sorts of punkheads,
was provide the 'apparent' outlet
for the games and play-actings of
opposition and revolt to take
place as a shadow-theater, so to
speak, and that would be enough
for these student types to feel
they were actually participating
in a form of political theater.
No one thought, a minute or a
second, about what was up. They
were as duped as any camposino
they cavorting at defending. Life
was nasty enough for any one
of those people; the last thing
they needed was play-acting
Americano college-toddlers
to be 'adding' something to
their cause. Try photographing
that some day, as a real
street-life theater, and see
what it gets you now....
See how it looks to the
camera.





No comments: