Tuesday, May 14, 2019

11,760. RUDIMENTS, pt. 685

RUDIMENTS, pt. 685
(the roar, yes, was deafening)
As I first got to Elmira, I knew
no one, obviously, except those
few with whom I worked. They
were each their own strange cases.
At every turn, people were saying
things and making reference to
items from a way of life I thought
was long over and gone. You
know how it is when you think
you've advanced past something,
and all of a sudden it's right there
again. I was back in that same
morass of people making TV
references, old movie-star names,
(Xavier Cougat? 'Who dat?'). 
There was some lady there who 
kept telling me I looked exactly
like someone (name forgotten, of
the movie guy she'd say; for now
anyway). Things like that kind of
annoyed me, for I hadn't traveled
250 miles, and then foolishly left
the confines of my old farmhouse
hideaway (more compromise on my
part) to fall right back into the
same sort of slop I'd grown up
amidst. Who the heck were there
people anyway, and that had they
been doing  -  or not doing  -  
the past 10 years while the world
had been in upheaval from all
that crap? I'd sit there sometimes
stunned, just thinking to myself
about writing a story with this 
as the main feature  -  a guy 
somewhere, and along his way,
unwittingly thinking he's escaping
from some horrid present he's
detested, getting himself together, 
and then waking to realize he's
somehow stepped back into a trap
of the same and worse clinches as
before. Oh, it was a screamable
degradation. The people were 
either dull, or crazy. And even 
the occasional outsider who blew 
in was no better : we had a guy
from the Bronx, weirdest new
input in the world. Every day he'd
go on and on about how sore his
'dick' was because of having it
up all night with his equally crazy
(and sore?) girlfriend. Where in the
world did they make these people?
Bronx, or Elmira  -  all crazies.
These people were all different,
in a different way too. They had,
living in the 'country,' as it were,
but in Elmira, lost all that hands-on
touch of the land and agriculture 
and Nature and  -  by the alienation  -
had simply turned into regular people
in a small-town, poorly urban, tiny
burg. It was all weird. They had
city habits, in the way people get
when the are living amidst all the
retail and commercial stuff, a store
at every corner, business streets
with apartments above, city parks,
walkways, meters, theaters, all
that stuff. Nothing like country
living, but maybe 4 minutes away!
No wonder there was a mix-up
of values and activities. I myself
felt as if I'd been chucked into a
washing machine, or a dryer, caught
spinning, whirling, with strange
noises all around me, buttons and
zippers clanking, timer bells and
beepers going off. I almost no 
longer knew what was going on.
At first anyway. I mostly bicycled 
everywhere. The city streets, 
outlying, were lined with massive 
old homes from the 1890 era, 
gigantic wedding-cake home 
designs; porches, extra buildings 
out back, wide turnarounds and 
driveways and garages, all sorts 
of weird things  -  and where, a
hundred years ago ONE family 
lived, there'd be now five mailboxes 
and five electric meters and doorbells, 
a misery-inducing swarm of poor, 
loud kids and people, parents who 
mostly looked like Ozark mountain 
cast-offs, often with crooked gaits, 
bad limbs, cigarette hacks, enormous 
women, rail-thin men, kids with 
buzz-cuts and filthy tee shirts. 
Everything was topsy-turvy and
in my face. We had one of those
guys, in fact, working in Whitehall
Printing  -  he was our packing 
and wrapping guy, and occasionally 
did deliveries too. There wasn't 
a tooth in his mouth, he weighed
about a hundred pounds, was 
maybe 40, had  about 6 kids, a 
car down on its springs and so 
far out of alignment it looked 
to be going sideways even
when it was driving straight. 
Which I  -  of course  -  took 
as a magnificent metaphor for 
everyone there. Every life
I'd see looked like that.
-
The best part of Elmira as  -  
in and of itself  -  to me, 
was, once again, all the 
Civil War stuff. The war
itself had never touched 
Elmira, not by  a long shot, 
but it had its regiments and 
volunteers and all  that, and 
two graveyards in which
every one of those young 
dead gents was buried, named 
and identified with marker and 
monument, battles, dates, and
death, along with family and
name. Plus, of course, it having
been the 'Andersonville' of the 
North, Elmira had its prison 
encampment and rows and its
rows of dead Confederate dead 
prisoner soldiers. It was quite 
stunning and brought it all home 
to see. It was  very tangible; 
man o' man, quite. You never
see the dead or sense their wars
and battles until they're seen
that way, in all their rotten 
privilege. I used to wonder, 
in such a war situation as that 
had been, how long it was, 
how many years, while men,
one by one, still came stumbling
home, by surprise or not, to be 
found out as still alive, wounded 
and maimed as it may have been,
or not. Unrecognizable, but a 
neighbor nonetheless. 'Hi. I used 
to be Jared Vorhees. Can you recall?'
-
Life has corridors and lanes, with
all the collected echoes of what's 
behind  -  if, that is, Time is a straight
line at all. I rather doubt it; more 
again like that washer/dryer reference, 
all sorts of things, going circular, and
all still in action. I know, to me, at
that place in time, if even that was
real, it was all splashing up at me
at once  -  the War, the graves, stories,
people, weird guys from the Bronx,
quaint ladies standing next to things.
The roar, yes, was deafening.



No comments: