Sunday, May 5, 2019

11,735. RUDIMENTS, pt. 675

RUDIMENTS, pt. 675
(anything else just gets in the way)
So I was talking with this
guy the other day and he 
started saying how he likes 
watching old movies now 
just to see the way people 
used to smoke. Not knowing
actually what I was even talking
about, I begin shoveling it to 
him  -  'Yes, that used to be a
great way of advancing plot
lines, the tense guy on the
crest of his crime, offering 
some dark, noir, babe a light,
and they share a smoke right 
before the crackling of guns 
begins, guns other than his, and
as a viewer you immediately
get two messages advanced,
without any real work by the
actors or the director  -  bad
guy has a soft spot for the
romantic babe, who, in turn
is intrigued and taken in, while,
at the same time, the romantic 
angle gets prompted along to
its tragic end, the guns blazing
and the g-men closing in.' And
in its way, the cigarette, and
that sort of scene, was an encoded
representation for all of life. It
went right through into the 1970's
and beyond. There was smoke, and
cigarettes, everywhere - the stubs
and ashes from butts and matches,
ash-trays  -  heck, even the doctor
who told you you were suffering
from lung cancer was probably
smoking as he told you that. I
don't know about movie-esque
plot lines, but imagine your local
supermarket with  -  instead of
sluggos scouring away on phones
with their carts, you had a hundred
people, equally dazed and dumb, 
in their wrap-cloud of aisle-smoke
as they shopped cereal and peanut
butter with cigarettes in their lips
or on their fingers. Right over to
the checkout, and the same thing
went on, right out to the parking
lot and into the car. It didn't
take any grimy movie to advance
that plot. Smoke just being what
it is, got in your eyes.
-
A work-acquaintance of mine, 
Nathan, in Clark B&N, used to say
you cold tell the age of someone
by the style of clothing they wear,
which most likely has stopped at
whatever years they were in their
prime. (I think that's also now
called 'retro' fashion, when it's
a sale-able ethos and money can
be made). But that wasn't the case
here when Nathan told me  -  he 
was basically making fun of his 
grandmother, whose fashion taste
had apparently stopped dead at
about 1965. He had her marked, 
and from that erected his theory.
I guess it was pretty much the
same idea as the cigarette guy.
We each waft through life with
our own something. (He was
a lot younger than me, a kid I
used to have working under me).
I happened to be amidst Nathan
in the period of his first sexual
salvos. He'd come back to work
after a discover-weekend of
his rutting, a new-found 
obsession, and say, 'Yeah, it's 
all about the vag.' (soft 'g').
I just used to laugh and say,
'Yeah, another one of life's
lessons learned. You'll be 
running out of them soon 
enough, so watch 'em carefully.'
I forget if he smoked or not.
-
I took him to New York one
day, with someone else. It was
very odd. He was underage, in
fact, but no one really asked, 
and he got alcohol, no problem;
which I'd been worried about.
The woman with us, a few years
younger than me, would have
had no problem, but she didn't
drink, so she kept getting Cokes, or,
even, water. That was no problem
either. The whole thing was just
weird. (I guess that was a sort
of thrown-in discursive sidebar.
It's funny, we go to school, as kids,
and learn cursive writing, to
supplant the child's printing we
were used to. But no one ever
teaches 'discursive' writing).
-
The woman with us was equally 
weird -  each time we passed a
Victoria's Secret store she had
something to say, one time saying
that she had trouble fitting bras
because she had a very wide back.
Man, that threw me  -  it's the sort
of trouble language brings. People
talking on the run, as they walk;
city traffic, a million other noises.
Was I sure I just heard that? Did
I get it right? Am I supposed to
respond? What does it mean? Is
she being funny? Do females 
have broad...backs? Way too 
much stuff for me to deal with.
The same thing happens anywhere,
actually : some guy wants to talk
on and on, about the minutiae of
one or another thing, but there's 
a lot of background noise, he's
a really low talker, so you have
to strain to hear him, and half the
time still can't, plus he can't
hear very well, so a lot of what 
you may say in response gets 
either ignored or taken incorrectly 
and he runs the conversational 
monologue (?) off into a complete 
other direction. That happened to
me just today too  -  the low-talker
guy I just mentioned.
-
I don't begrudge anyone their theories,
I just hate it when it gets tendentious.
Heaven is all about theories  -  the
ones that work anyway. Most of
the time, I don't even want to hear
them, I'm just not interested. At this
late stage of my own game, I find
the less I know or hear about what
it is others do or are doing, the better
it is for me. I hate distractions, and
now I hate influences too  -  I don't
wish to be taken off my own course,
and I have to protect that pretty
well  -  I'm steady-focused about
my own studies and workings. 
Anything else just gets in the way.
I also always have trouble turning
things off once I get started. It never
seems to want to stop, and even if I
walk away I still end up going back
as something else hits me. Notes
and all that are OK, but half the
time then I can't read what I've
scribbled or out of context they
lose any sensible meaning, and
I can't think it back. I find that,
the way they say 'hindsight is 
20/20'  -  that only works if you
looking at someone's butt. Now
that's hindsight. That's also
'discursive writing,' my major.


No comments: