Saturday, May 4, 2019

11,734. RUDIMENTS, pt. 674

RUDIMENTS, pt. 674
(a rim-rod horse on Derby day)
I never knew a lot of things;
but they were, to be truthful,
things I didn't care about at
all. Ratables. Amortization
tables. Interest rate fluctuations.
The Federal Reserve. The
Electoral College, and more.
Any of that was far out of
my range, and that was fine.
I never could believe it anyway
when people made entire careers
out of those things : insurance
guys, brokers, agents; all the
usual pencil-pushers, as they
used to be called. My own killer
point of view was like a reverse
Robin Hood  - I wanted to steal
from the poor and then jam it
down the throat of the rich, with
all their damn numbers and plans
and tables and formulas, until
they gagged to death. A useless
endeavor to be sure, but the
mental satisfaction was great.
-
When I was working at St. George
Press, the owner guy was always
reaming me out  -  for my opinions;
he took exception once to my calling
the wealthy, 'fat cats'  -  saying he
was one of them and didn't take
kindly to being called such. Oh, well.
Another time, during a period when
I was looking crummy, longish
hair (by his standards), he told me
to straighten up because the 'Town
Fathers' came in to the Press, and
I didn't present a very good image.
That was the one that really burned
me up. First off, it was like being
back in high school, 15 years or so
previous  -  same crap, some pervy
adult telling me he didn't like my
looks, based on some presumption
of his about what 'propriety' meant.
Town Fathers? This dump never
had a town father whose hand wasn't
either in the till, big time, or up
some girl's skirt, bigger time. I
heard it all. The Mayor at this
time was some buffoon Italian
fool who had been Sheriff in
New Brunswick. I got numerous
first-hand action reports of his
chasing girls around the desk,
soliciting sex and fondles, and the
rest, during his time as Sheriff.
Old habits die hard. And then he
becomes Mayor  -  one of the
'Town Fathers' I was supposedly
offending and who had given the
stillbirth of this crud joint to us.
What a croc. People just don't
think, or they never hear
themselves.
-
Another time, this girl kept
coming in, named Linda, with
printing work from her office.
Time after time she'd be in tears,
confiding in me, at my desk,
about how she needed to sit there
a while, she was upset, if she told
me some of the things her boss
did to her I wouldn't believe it.
So we made the visits last, talked
a long time, talked slowly, she'd
have tea or coffee, until she was
calmed down, more at ease again,
and willing to go back. (By the way,
my 'office' was in open space, no
closed doors, and nothing hidden).
I lost track of her, years ago, but
I do hope she's doing well.
-
Now, a hundred years later, I
walk these tired streets and think 
back on all these things : Are
they traits of the damned? Or
the lucky? I ask myself, knowing
too there are no answers. Or,
maybe that there are two answers.
Yes, they are traits of the damned.
And yes, they are traits of the
lucky; and there's no difference
really at all. But, I live within
some place now where I no
longer demand answers  -  I
just state things of my own 
and that's the way they are. 
It's a sort of gift of long living, 
something only the old can do.
-
Back in seminary school, they 
always pretended there was 
no indecision or doubt about 
anything. That's the Doctrine 
works, I suppose, you accept it 
or you die. A Spanish Inquisition 
every damned day, or some 
Savanarola cook out; one or 
the other, things stick. After a
while I got so tired of hearing
their drivel that I just turned
it off. They could have their
certainty; but if they were so
certain of it all why then could
they not leave others alone about 
it? I could never get the need
for having to go around convincing
others. I was pretty shot, by that
point, and I realized it. That 'faith'
was gone, and I was interloping
after that, in a place I no longer
did belong. What does a solitary
kid do then? From that point on,
one is just playing the shadows, like
a rim-rod horse on Derby day. Place
your bets and watch the comers.
-
Well most of my bets were placed
wrongly : I walked away with losing
hands to just about everything. The
whole world took on the color of a
Siamese cat  -  a little smog, some dirt,
a yellowish tinge, manageable and
nice. Not so bad. I went to the Studio
School to start anew, and I really
did mostly void all the parts of my
past life  -  for a good while too.
Alas, before the cock crowed some
lone time later, I'd realized all I
was doing , or had been doing, was
filling up anew with all the wrong
crud : And damn the town fathers!




No comments: