Friday, May 10, 2019

11,746. RUDIMENTS, pt. 680

RUDIMENTS, pt. 680
(on the good ship lollipop)
The thing about modern life
was that it sucked. But I'd
gotten stuck in in : house,
family, kid, job, car. Each
of them was a steady poker
in the eye that I'd never
banked on. But I was never
a runner,  and I stayed with
it all. Damn. The French
surrealist writer Lautreamont
said, 'On the day you decide
to marry, the first stranger
that crosses your path would
make as good a match as any
well-thought-out choice.' Ha!
My story, by my choice, and, I
guess, as you have seen, begins
without all that. Why? Well, for
me, I see it as probably unable
to be told. Not tellable. Life is
sex, and a lot of sex is life. Stuff
happens, and the consequences
of that 'stuff' are yours to take
or leave. I took, agreed to. But
it never colored my life or
changed my somewhat perverse
and oddball ways of thinking,
doing, and perceiving. I was a
creative soul since the first day
I pissed my diaper. Better even
than that, I was told that one
of the first things I did, on a
changing  table, was to piss
in my father's eye.
-
I think when you're growing up
and you hear these stories about
yourself when young, or really
young, you have no other thing to
do but believe them. It's nothing
you can remember yourself  - 
but at the same time I've always
noticed that any of these stories
run true to type : another thing
you can do nothing about. If the
teller believes you to be a sniveler,
so too the young you will show
that tendency in the story. Or, a
brat. Or, a brawler; on and on. 
It's all out of your control. And I 
guess it runs in the same way that
everyone's kid is a 'genius.' My
father-in-law always used to say
he could remember as early as
age 5. I never quarreled over
that, and others just never
brought that stuff up. I have
always admitted to, and moreso
now as I age, being able to  -
by senses of sell or touch or
just evocative moments in
memory  -  remember things
much earlier than that, say 3
or 4 maybe earlier. There are
other people  -  the singer Joan
Baez being one  -  who claim to
be able to recall being birthed
and instantly-early memories.
Who knows what we weave?
And anyway, who'd really want
to know that stuff? Why?
-
Part of it all, for me, was that
the idea of having limits and
boundaries always bothered
me. It wasn't like I was a
wild-man or anything; I just
didn't like being reined in.
Even if I had no intention of
stretching to the far limits,
I still always wanted that
option, to be there, the
possibility of it all. Strange,
how it went. One of those guys,
Paul Goodman I think it was  -
he was a 1960's softie-writer
about civil society and the
organizational figuring of
career and alienation and the
rest of all that  -  he wrote,
'The aware self does not
have fixed boundaries.' I
guess  -  if your boundaries
aren't broken, why fix them?
No, that's just a jerk joke, of
mine. What he meant was that
any particular self-awareness,
of the sort that he claimed
Society and Education no
longer offered its youth,
would simply catapult a
real 'individual' experiencing
selfhood in wanting nothing
to be there to tie them down.
The whole of living is the
totality of experience it affords 
us, or offers us. Take it while
it's coming, so to speak. Paul
Goodman, in his way, had it
in for 1950's society, and its
resultant blather in the 1960's,
and he meant to state his feelings.
And did so. 'Growing Up Absurd'
is one of the hardest, most poorly
written and densely 'dullified'
things of that nature to read,
but if you can slice through it
with your own mental machete,
it's rewarding. Paul Goodman
was a trouser-chaser of the
tallest order, but we shan't
hold that against him. Too 
many, by far, of the best are.
-
I often too did find that nothing 
isn't ever what it seems, (putting 
a country spin on the language 
there), or even what  its purported 
to be. Now none of these conclusions 
might be the nicest things in the 
world, but they're true and it 
was what I've experienced and
I've decided here only to go by 
my experience. Like all those
country people and their preachers
and all their do-right stuff. I've
seen with my own eyes how all
that gets put away pretty quickly
when zippers and hooks are 
involved. They may be saying 
one thing, these folks, but as
soon as you turn your back
they're out there in the fields 
and hollows rutting and 
grunting like wild boars.
All those 'boundaries' and
'limitations' get put away real
quickly when the ripe-apple
of opportunity begins to be
a'knocking; Heaven forbid, 
but let the angels in! You're
best off not to be believing 
anything of appearances. 
-
As I grew up I began to realize
that I was beginning to resemble,
by nose and chin and all that,
some local Avenel guy whose
looks I never liked. That irked 
me. He had the aquiline nose
business that I hated  -  the 
profile of a Roman Centurian 
or something. Exactly like me.
The chin I'd developed was
gross, with one of those plugs
in it that people called a clef.
I detested that  -  it seem anything
but manly, made me look perverse,
and I hated it too when other kid's
mothers would point it out, along
with dimples, to say what 'nice'
features I had. Boy, if that was
the case, I'd think, where's the 
surgical knife? Technically, I
was a basket case of bad clay.
I never liked myself, and I guess
to this day all I do is hide all
that now aged, discolored,
and floundering stuff behind
madman hordes of hair. We're
stuck with the design of what we're
given  -  family and lineage draw
from all that too, so if for nothing
else it's at least worth knowing about.
Whether you end up having Uncle
Aldo's chin or eyes like Grandma
Caldicutti, you're in one the mix
for free. The other thing I hated
having? Thin lips.
-
There's a threshold of age when 
you begin having a notice or a 
concern about things of that 
Nature  -  I guess it's that nervous 
trounce of adolescence, when 
all the Heebsters out there begin
deciding that your 'age group'
is a marketable bunch of pithy
people they can sell to. I can
remember being in supermarket
lines and things in the early or
mid sixties when the idea first
started getting pumped that the
baby-boomer crowd was about to
enter the age when millions of
pennies and dollars could be pumped
out of them if they were only able to
be convinced that their privates smell,
their pimples were legion, all needs 
could be met, and the only way to
the top of the class was to push and 
peddle personal perfection. Through
items, of course, that had to be
'purchased'. Hello Beach Boys,
and hello pop culture, and we
peddle it like Hell, here on
the Good Ship Lollipop.

No comments: