Monday, October 8, 2018

11,223. FORTITUDE, GOOD MAN, AND STRENGTH

FORTITUDE, GOOD MAN,
AND STRENGTH
It's been a long time since three o'clock
and I don't know what that means. You 
think you're a big deal? Well OK, then,
Tonto, go ride your great horse. Just
yesterday I was at some old abandoned
water-pump station and I walked around
the grounds unable to explain a thing. Some
mysteries just fall through time's cracks 
like that. Fold your derby hat and go ahead :
How should I explain myself? There were
three of us and a dog, sort of lost in a world
we never knew. I saw old metal pulleys and
cranks and hoistwheels, turn-screws to shut
off the water, alter the flow. Everything was
a hundred years old. I'd bet, anyway. Nothing 
talked back, and that silence was a deafening
sound. Cars went by like they'd never belonged
anywhere else. It's an alienating thing, being
like this. I know what they mean when they
say  -  living like this is not living at all.

No comments: