Sunday, October 21, 2018

11,257. RUDIMENTS, pt 478

RUDIMENTS, pt 478
(cruellers)
Fire was always a funny
thing to me  -  we seek it,
to keep warm, yet we fear
it as well. Up in the country
it was always a threat  -
there were always open
burnings of this or that
going on. People's barns
would self-combust, flames
licking through everything.
(Poorly-placed stacks of hay,
in the upper haymows of
barns, if not aired properly
and thus correctly stacked,
could build up heat pockets,
and, yes, self-ignite). If and
when that happened, I never
knew. Warren's 150-year-old
barn burned down because
his young son was playing
with matches. There was
always something  -  and
the idea of a 'fire department'
was pretty non-existent. In
the country, people (myself
included) simply often burned
their trash and garbage, as
burnable, on their front lawns,
or side or back areas, and
you'd always see the remnant
ash and debris from the fire
areas in some sort of circle.
(Once again it always interested
me to see how Nature tended
to circular, natural, forms.
There are no right angles in
Nature).
-
That's like describing reason
and logic. It used to be common
precept that A followed B and
in some sort of logical straight
line. That's how we got the
Rationalist centuries, the
'Enlightenment' and all that,
even the American founding.
But it all turned out false, or
worse than that, it turned out
that there WAS NO false, or true,
and that all of consciousness
was a wavering vapor upon
which we pin tags and sort of
agree upon them, for the sake
of utility and 'getting things
done.' That's why we have
erroneous, stupid, baldy-ass
stuff like business and politics.
Those are forums for the likes
of these people to play in :
Caged, muddy grounds of
their own sick imaginings.
-
Not much of that existed in
the country  -  everything was
instead personified by fairly
twisted people. When I tell
you this, I'm leaving it as a
positive. The most boring
people up there were the
women. Enticing, sometimes,
yes, but boring as hell. It
was the men who were
off the wall, busy and
crazy at the same time.
I could never quite figure
it all out. I know for sure
the teen sons were crazy,
isolated and rural, but crazy
nonetheless. Yet, in other
aspects, they were all quite
conservative. No bomb-throwing
revolutionaries there to be
found. Orderly housekeeping,
proper record-keeping, respect
for authority, rank, and place;
all those primitive, reptilian
qualities were prevalent.
Of course, I don't know what
really went on, inside their
brains or in their little groups,
but the evidences I saw showed
me the tendencies I noted. The
women, way more than the
men, were judgmental, fairly
simple (most always), even
girlish in their tastes and
predilections. Everything was
a bit confusing. Sometimes
I'd think sexuality was rampant,
other times not. One time, at
some sort of local 'social' all
hell broke out among the ladies,
because at a donut table or
something one of the ladies,
looking at the cruellers, said
to the effect of 'Hmm, long
and hard, just like I like 'em.'
A few of the other hard-pressed
Christian ladies took mortal
offense  -  after that night there
were a few women who never
spoke to each other ever again.
-
That happened shortly after
I had arrived. I didn't really
know any of the people,
except for the Guthrie guy
(dead now, see grave) who
helped my fix my car, the
very first night I arrived.
It was the middle of January,
deep-deep freeze, about zero,
and I'd driven up alone, to
begin a job, on the 17th,
(two mornings off) that I'd
arranged for with a guy who
had hired me (printing shop,
Floyd White and Margaret Hall,
Whitehall Printing, thus) almost
remotely. We'd met once back in
October, and he said if anything
opened up he'd let me know.
So we went about our business,
and he calls me in Woodbridge
and says he's got a spot for me
but I had to start Monday. (6
days away, then). So, I quit
Appellate (my Woodbridge job)
and set out alone to go live in
this house I knew nothing
about. Zero was about the
normal temperature for that
month. I quickly learned the
house had serious heating
issues, and I slept on a
makeshift old couch thing,
in my clothes and in my coat
too. My wife and new child
were to be coming up later,
when things settled out a bit.
That never really happened,
the settling out, and they
showed up for the end of
the month, by which time
I was already a veteran.
Pity for them.)...
They weren't.
-
But, the day I arrived, when
I was just about there, my car
took a fit. I knew what the 
problem was, pulled over,
and frozen-handedly tinkered
with it and it got me where 
I was going. It was a cheap
repair and I knew it wouldn't 
last. From the few dealings
I'd had up there over the 
previous few months I'd
had the house, though not
living in it, I knew this guy
on the corner along the way,
had a little shop and worked
on cars. But that was all, I
didn't know him, he didn't
know me. I just knew his
last name was Guthrie. How
I got the nerve, I'll never know
except that it was by necessity
which makes strange bedfellows
or is the mother of invention,
or whatever that all is. He 
came to the door, I rattled 
off my plight, said who I
was (or night be), and where.
He knew it all already (these
country folk did talk about
newcomers and outsiders like
bar-guys talk about women).
He said bring it on in here, 
let's see. Amazing. We did 
everything, got it all set, 
he wanted nothing but
happiness from me, and 
wouldn't take a dime. His
wife came down, with
coffee, and we sat a while
and talked abut what I 
thought I'd be doing. 
Which was pretty much
what I ended up doing, 
though I didn't know the
half of it then. Turned out,
not so long later, she was
the one who liked them
long and hard. Cruellers.
-
When I got the whole story and
then realized who she was, the lady
I'd already met at the car-repair
scene, I was almost gleeful. A bit
embarrassed too  -  not that I'd had
anything to do with it  -  but rather
feeling to be in on a secret I should
not have known about. The men
all joked about it, and, I mean,
it went on for two weeks, like it 
had just happened, or recurred in
some weird, cosmic eternal replay.
(Like out of Nietzsche, but they
wouldn't have known that. He's got
a Theory of Eternal Recurrence
that would have fit nicely). It
was all so funny. Over the next
few years I did see how this entire
'Guthrie' group of people were 
always off a bit, out of the old,
ordinary mainstream of what
people did and who they were.
It eventually all made perfect
sense, and I was glad for it.




No comments: