Saturday, October 20, 2018

11,250. RUDIMENTS, pt. 476

RUDIMENTS, pt. 476
(vile habits die hard) 
The funniest thing was,
Jim was gone  -  somehow
he'd driven off, and to
somewhere too  - and the
others had all left together,
girls and guys, in their
separate autos, after, yes,
telling me to where they'd
be going. I can still vividly
remember two things :
the girls progressing out
of the house, to their cars,
holding the two cakes
they'd made, out in
front of them like ritual;
and, at the other end  -
because I did get myself
cleaned up and mended
some (bruises came later),
the foggy, mist-heavy,
tree'd grove they'd all
taken themselves off to,
along the roadside on
the dirt road threading
to Willard Brown's
farmhouse (the guy to
whom I paid the $38.03
monthly, mentioned three
chapters back). It was
a chilled, even cold,
wet and misty night and
they seemed not to care
at all, a number of cars
parked about, and these
people, enjoying each
other's company, eating
cake and drinking
whatever it was that
had been brought along.
It was pretty charming
a scene,  and I was glad
I'd made it there,  just to
see it. The premise was,
I suppose, to rehash all
all that had just occurred,
and they went at it verbally,
with relish, and blow by
blow. Country people
do hang on detail. I stayed
a bit, and left, needing to
straighten up the place and
do some repair too. The
only real problem was
that I'd never made it
to the hospital, having
not told my wife there'd
be no visit that night.
A tactical problem, I
guessed, but one that
I surely could work out.
If I told her that I'd been
to an outdoor, misty-rain
birthday party eating
cake under the trees,
would she believe me?
-
Somewhere in each
of our lives there's a 
'tendency zone.' We 
manage, and live 
through it. For myself, 
mine is that I 'have a 
tendency' to get into
weird situations that 
are never clear-cut; 
in addition they never
seem to have definite
start points, and/or finish
points   -   things remain 
as liquid situations, which 
I do suppose for a 'writer'
is a good situation, allowing
embellishment maybe, a
'plot' turn or twist here 
and there, and some good 
spaces for description and 
musing. Part of the reason 
I got into this racket was 
because it was 'fun.' A 
downright riot of it.
-
So, anyway, what's 'mad' 
and what's 'maddening,' 
or who, in each case just 
as well? I have a friend 
who calls me crazy, mad
I call him the same back,
and at least I know I'm right.
Or write. Which brings up
another point about plays 
and drama. How come a
playwright writes the play
in a manner he or she 
feels is right but he or
she is still called a 
playwright  - like a 
wheelwright, or
whatever wheel-guys 
are called. Not a  playwrite. 
Not a playright either. 
Perplexity over perplexity, 
over  questions and troubles. 
Its a weird math.
-
Anyway, this Jim guy turned
out to be as unsettled as the
Devil's own Hell  -  by the way,
is it the Devil's Hell? Or is
that still God's domain? How's
that work, I wonder?  -  The word
around, I found later, was just
not to touch him. Today they
call someone like that 'toxic,'
(I have one of those too, as a
friend), back then he was just
untouchable, and the farm
people wanted nothing much
to do with him. Toxic people
seem to spread their wealth, but
it's really a wealth no one wants.
Go figure. Jim eventually got a
pick-up truck, and got a job too,
with the same school district
that had me on its rolls. Down
in East Troy they built a large,
brand-new, elementary school.
For the Troy kids and all, not
my country-and-hillside folk.
Back about then it was like the
biggest thing in the world, for it
was a 'Montessori' experimental
school  -  no walls, one huge
classroom area, all the kids
together, everything at once,
with the different teachers, I
guess, addressing their level
kids in whatever groupings
they got. It seemed stupid
to me, same old crap, just
no walls. It was a way-out
stab in the dark try at 'new'
education, and I guess these
nowhere kids were the test-tubes
in that bio-lab. They hired Jim
on as the custodian. Yeah man,
and believe you me.
-
Even though I didn't really
care, that didn't set right with
me, and I remained a little
annoyed, for a long time, over
what I considered basically as
the useless, preferential hiring
for this dangerous guy whom
no one else really wanted
around. So what do they do?
Pack him in an open format
school with a bunch of kids.
Sometimes I just wanted to
say to some of these country
folk, 'Whatever ARE you
thinking?'... Jim Watkins,
even if still around, just
slowly faded from my life
and memory thereof, and
that was probably good
enough, short of me shooting
him, and I really couldn't be
bothered. The whole guns
and shooting thing out there
was a real issue anyway, and
not that far out of the possible.
If it was him or me, it was
going to be him and not me.
-
After he was gone, I did keep
seeing his large wife around a lot;
she was nearby somewhere and
always driving that Valiant
he used to have. I never saw
the kids though. The wife  - to
whom I never really spoke  - 
had some sort of scheduled
job that would bring her past
the same point in the road and
at pretty much the same time
of day, morning and night, so
it was all predictable. When
you read the old dime-store
novels and thrillers and 
mystery junk, those are 
the sorts of habits that 
get people knocked off
or kidnapped in revenge 
plots. Their utter predictability
gives them away. Of course,
she didn't know me, but 
she should have known 
better. Problem was I 
think ole' Jim would 
never have turned over a
dime as ransom money 
for the battered-hulk 
of the likes of her.
-
Nobody ever much cut trees out
in these rural lands  -  so there'd be
a good mix standing : dead trees,
half-dead trees, and beautiful,
large, prospering trees too. All
the small roads and pathways
were lined with trees. Just sort
of accidental. One problem was  -  
and I faced this too  -  the Elm trees
that had all died through the 1950's
from Dutch Elm disease. My own
dirt road was lined with about
12 of them, all dead hulks. I
never minded that, but it wasn't
the nicest of sights either; and 
then one day a crew came and they
began cutting them all. It took
about a week, but they were all
gone and much of the shrubbery
too. That kind of annoyed me,
since without any foreknowledge
someone had come along and
leveled and cleansed my entry 
road so that it was now just bare
and open to the sun. I used to
have dreams that the berm on the
one side, which had been heavily
dense with shrubs and berry bushes,
was a secret passageway that I,
in the dreams, would sort of crawl 
through along some noisy highway
on my left, and it would get me
eventually to some secret land 
that, in the dreams, I could never 
quite reach or get too.
-
Same sort of struggle as life, I guess.

No comments: