Wednesday, October 24, 2018

11,262. RUDIMENTS, pt. 481

RUDIMENTS, pt. 481
(the parmenter spread)
Once I lived in the arms of a
nation  -  hills and rivers and
roads. Plentiful and rich, the
world seemed sure of itself and
always moving on. My spirit
was transparent, my mind a
solid rock.
-
I saw treetops singing and
lakes a'fire. Cabins filled
with mud. The land had
changed, maybe, but I
never would. I said that
to myself anyway. There
wasn't much else to do
about any of it, since it
was all feelings anyway.
I'd come from a place -
heck, places  -  where
you'd turn on the faucet
and water came out. That
didn't always happen in
my new situation. I'd sit
inside, think of the hundred
years previous  -  horses,
plow-horses, wagons and
carriages. I'd envisage the
people who may have lived
in the house  -  any number
of them were buried right
up the hill, in the small,
fenced, almost neglected,
graveyard. The names were
all there, and all their 1888's
and 1904's and 1870's.
Everything was silent,
but sure. The curious
little markings on the
gravestones enticed  - 
Civil War regiments,
battalion and regiment
numbers, and all that.
It was as strange to me
as some of the names
people used to have  - 
Jubal, and Thaddeus,
Enoch, and the rest.
(That graveyard has
since been re-opened,
the old gates taken away,
and it's been expanded too,
into the place now where
I see all the names of
those I lived amongst in
those years. Very strange
feeling). I'd got my place,
through Willard Brown,
(yes, he's in there now),
who bought all the farm
acreage of what once had
been the Parmenter spread.
I got the house and some
12 acres around it, and he
got about 90 new acres of
farmland. The locals would
tell me the names of folks
who'd come out of the house
in the last 70 years or so,
Parmenters, Kobels, and
others. Lots of intrique,
strange liaisons, (Kobel
was evidently quite a local
Romeo, hated by many. One
day there was a knock on my
door, and it was a Parmenter
kid, about 30. He was visiting,
from Ohio, and wished to
see the place. He said his
father (Denton) was still
alive but they had pulled up
stakes and moved out to Ohio.
Ohio? I said? He said yes,
his father had grown sick of
the congestion and growth
of the area (?), and went out
to Ohio, where it was still
wild and untrammeled. This
was, remember, 1972. The
reasons I ended up there,
oddly enough, were the same
reasons he had fled the place.
Congestion? Growth? Crowded?
I invited him someday to see
Middlesex County, NJ. Another
time, two older folks, in their
50's maybe, stopped by with a
dog in their car. They got out
and asked to walk around  - 
since their dog needed a
stop anyway. I said sure, and
we talked a little  -  evidently,
as a kid, he'd spent a few years
here as a foster child; he said.
Hadn't been back in years.
He pointed out to me the little
doorway and room above the
double garage doors. I always
wondered why it had its own
entrance, and a little lamp-light
and all. It had been a tax-office
when he lived there and the guy,
I guess Parmenter, had been the
tax collector. People were always
coming by, to that office, to
pay their taxes, back then. I
thought that was cool enough.
Explained the light. There was
nothing in that long room now,
except two pianos  - the one I'd
moved into there, and the old,
broken down one that had been
there when I arrived.
-
Another cool thing was the
language  -  whenever people
would start talking about this
Kobel guy, whoever he was,
sleeping around with wives
and things  -  no one ever
said that he was having 'sex.'
The word they used, always,
was 'scratchin'. As in, 'Helen
Vagary? Yeah, Kobel was
scratchin' her, and everyone
knew it but nobody said.'
-
Funny thing about words,
too, I found. Washington
Irving, the writer, the
Legend of Sleepy Hollow
guy, he was the first person
to use the word 'doughnuts.'
In his Diedrich Knickerbocker
stories of old New York.
It was only us, and common
usage, and later the chain
of 'Dunkin Donuts,' that
screwed that one up. The
word became nothing. An
advertising eunuch. What's 
a 'Donut?' Oh, anyway, it's
all nothing, but that's what
that whole 'scratchin' thing
made me think about.
-
Funny thing, all the time I
was up there, I never used
the Troy Library. Actually, I
never really knew, even now,
if they had one, though I
guess they did. I had plenty
enough of my own books,
which I'd brought with me
in crates, and they suited
me for that time. I also had
a few subscriptions  -  to
Artforum, and Art In America, 
and another, newer magazine 
out then, called 'Avalanche'  
-  art and art essays and some
photography. The rural mailman
delivery guy, Harold Greenough,
he used to look at me a little
funny whenever he delivered
those items. So what the hell,
I got a subscription to this
cool, large monthly called
'Pennsylvania Farmer.' It was
an over-sized magazine, maybe
100 pages each month, with
all sorts of cool stuff   - things
I got to really enjoy  -  about
farming, tractors repairs,
tips, veterinary stuff, cows,
feeds, scientific corn-crop
things, Pioneer seeds, water
articles, different things about
grasses and alfalfa and hay
and silos and silage. It just
went on. Man, I really ended
up liking it all. I have no idea
whatever happened to those
magazines. That was all 
about five moves ago, so
I guess they're all gone.
-
Two final things for this 
chapter : Remember that
'my mind is a solid rock'
thing, from the beginning.
First  -  that mailman guy,
Greenough, his son killed
himself during this time.
High school senior, or
maybe a year after high
school. He blew his brains 
out. OK, got all that, but 
why? The answer that went
around  -  stupid as all get
out, but maybe true, back
then  -  his girlfriend, it
was said, would never
'put out.' She'd get him
to the brink a lot, but 
never gave in. Finally it
drove the poor kid crazy 
mad  -  'cause he couldn't
scratch her  -  and he shot
himself. I never believed 
a word of that story, but
who's to say. And the other
was, about that water that
sometimes would run dry  -
the water supply for the 
house was from a spring, 
constant and always flowing,
though sometimes a lot less
that other times, at the rear
of the yard. It came out of
solid rock, the same big
slab the house was anchored
on. The water ran into a
cinder block sort of holding
basin, underground, and from
there got piped and pumped,
as needed, into the house, by
a system of two Gould pumps.
It always worked good, yes,
except for dry spells, when,
if we got ahead of the water,
drawing too much, there'd
just be none, for 12 hours
or so, until that reservoir
thing filled up again. You
don't miss your water,
'til your well runs dry.
-
I used to think about the place
being the 'Parmenter spread.'
It was always funny how people
said that. Considering that Kobel
guy  -  and all I'd heard about
Drew Kobel  -  they might just as
well have called it, ladies, the
'Kobel spread.'  That would
have been more fitting.






No comments: