Tuesday, October 23, 2018

11,259. RUDIMENTS, pt. 479

RUDIMENTS, pt. 479
(ted kascinsky, at home)
Well you wake up one day
and you say to yourself,
'Why are you eating the
flesh of other beings?' It was
like that for me anyway  - 
considering the feelings I
harbored, why not just
begin killing your fellow
humans? What's the
difference, since there
isn't any difference. I was
around animals all the
time now. Cows. Horses,
Newly born versions. Goats
Sheep. Deer. And the rest.
I'd sit around farmers' tables
and always have to hear
their sorrow, mostly by
the ladies and kids, of the
bad feelings engendered
by the meat we were eating.
'I'm sorry to be serving Daisy.'
What? It seemed, with the
numerous meat-rendering
plants around (slaughterhouses
and dressing) at the end of a
'useful' life (milk-producing)
the cows  -  and their favorite
cows, and by name  -  Lucy,
Star, Heaven  -  were carted
away and brought back as
freezer meats, perfectly
wrapped and rendered as
meals. It happened all the
time. In fact, we were gifted
one time with two little piglets
brought over to us, and we
raised them into large porkers,
'Charlotte' and another name
I forget now. And, yes, with
great sorrow we sold them,
after raising to proper fatness,
to the rendering house direct,
which paid us and took them
away. I didn't want to know
anything about after that, and
it was the switch-over point
for me on all this meat stuff.
I'd rather shake hands anyway
with one of God's natural
kingdom animals than most
of the fellow humans I get
to meet, no contest. These farmer
people, to them it was of little
cost except a passing sorrow
to eat their kin. They'd go to
church on Sunday to learn and
be told of God's goodness and
the supposed Natural World
and then go on along anyway.
and all its wondered rationality.
Which is probably at least better
in some respect than the morons
round here, who come home after
first being SURE they or their
kids were seen in church, and 
then they set about destroying
they same Natural World. And
point by point, in full view of
their friends and neighbors.
I wonder, why aren't THEY
called terrorists too?
-
Probably if I knew then that
all this bullshit was ahead of me,
in the future, I'd have blown my
brains out right then and there.
The thing that galls me the most,
I guess, is the proficient lack of
any intelligence I see here, 50
years on or so.
-
I probably have 500 stories I
could tell you, but I can't get
to them all. Each one has a 
lesson and a tact of its own;
some, the sensitivities of 
them get pretty raw and 
we're not supposed to be
'offending' people like that.
That's the manner the world
works today  -  those in 
power  can screw or dice 
up whatever they want 
(yeah, that was meant
to be the 'f' word, Fanny 
Fleischman frothing at
the feral fountain), but
we, in turn, can't say a
damned human thing. Out
in Pennsylvania, no one 
was wrapped that tightly. 
And the crazies had guns.
And the guns just loved
going off. Sometimes it
used to make me puke, to
see what I'd see. A wild, 
crazy dog, tied to a running 
clothesline, at least having 
space to run, being shot from
50 yards away by two guys
who had been sent out to
rid the owner of  'that 
god-damned pesky black 
Lab.' Target practice a la
sitting duck. Or the 
distempered cat, dazed
and mortally wobbly 
and confused, being shot
in the snow with a muzzle
at its head. 'Snow's a great
silencer,' the one kid said.
-
That's only a part of it. The
entire, larger picture was just
as freaky, but oh so cool. I 
found it exhilarating to be 
comin' round the mountain 
for free and with no one 
hanging on my neck. Up
on Mt. Pisgah, nearby, but
higher, up there was a guy 
who lived in a cabin, all by
himself, in solitude beholden
to no one. Trip-wire freedom;
you cross it, you go down.
These days, all that same crap
has National Parks Service
junk all over it, markers and
plaques (might as well type
plagues). Have you ever seen
one of those sons'a bitches?
They tramp around all noble
and high minded, with their
mind on one thing : a one
thing comprised of many, 
sort of like the USA 
framework they babble 
about too  -  Order; Process;
Procedure; Only the 'right'
information gets given out;
Cleanliness and Safety. It's
all bullshit and they all only
have one eye  -  the other 
watches their wages and
salaries, pensions and 
investments, and that's all
really what to Holy Hell
they care about. That's how
rotted up this country is.
If they had any truth in 
them, they wouldn't be 
there. When I first started 
seeing this 'sovereign intrusion'
crap coming on, back in the
mid-seventies, I did already
want to be shooting back.
YOU have usurped my land!
-
The cabin guy up there 
killed himself. That was 
the story anyway. More'n
likely it was a murder or a
firefight or a David Koresh
or a Waco, all done up and
made nice of by the US
Government. I no longer was
able to believe a word of what
anyone said. Murder'n likely
the entire bunch of Government
agents is always a bunch of
meat-eating punks.
-
I was always a rebel, from the
start. My sometime friend up
there, Lloyd Perry, he was one
too, but he didn't know it. Lloyd
was a true maniac, a murderer,
and a cut-throat thief too. No 
one ever caught up to him, and
that was good. He had a barn
where he lived; the broad side
of it hugged the road, right at
a curve across from Big Pond,
and he had hanging from it,
the skinned and decayed carcass
of most any animal or large
bird your could think of.
Some people sold their barns 
out and had Red Man Tobacco
signs painted on them. Lloyd's
barn, instead, sort of perversely
advertised for God's own 
kingdom. Though quite dead.
It ain't movin', might as well
eat it. If you ever talked to Lloyd,
you'd think he was an idiot, yet
deep down n the rubble of all
that he talked about there was a
cold, solid sense of things too.
'Mr. Lloyd, what should we avoid,'
I always wanted to say. He just
looked up and would say, I'd
that somnabitch twice!' And
Lloyd had a brother too, older,
and worse than him. 'Oh, Mr.
Lloyd, now that ain't nice.'
I had the lingo down pat.

No comments: