Sunday, October 7, 2018

11,218. RUDIMENTS, pt 463

RUDIMENTS, pt. 463
(denny's hits avenel?)
It's all just in how you
want to live. I had no
special treasures, and
made no special claims.
And goodness, if I did,
I would not have stuck
around there (Avenel).
Hey! Wait a minute,
I didn't. Had I been
born a muleskinner
(whatever that is
anyway), Avenel could
not have been more
foreign or alienating to
me, past a certain point :
a nice cradle, but once
one learns to walk, not
good for much. I admit,
things have changed :
40 years ago the local
fire-whistle blew nightly
at 7pm. Now it blows
nightly at 6:55. The
world has changed?
-
I like to study, and learn.
There are lots of fun things
to take from everywhere,
but most people remain
too busy being serious to
take the advantage it
affords. James Joyce's
father, Simon, portrayed
in the fictional accounts
and mentioned and
described often, as
sometimes antagonist,
other times a foil, has
been shown to have had
some wit, actually : late
in life, presented in old
age with Brancusi's (an
artist) 'portrait' of his son,
which consisted of three
parallel lines and a whorl,
he's recorded as having
remarked, 'The boy seems
to have changed a great
deal.'
-
Well, anyway, that's fun
stuff. And why shouldn't
it be? I get really tired
of those who can't jerk
around, laugh or make
light. Remember, wasn't
that the first thing
God made?
-
The other day I asked my
wife  -  who likes cooking
and recipes and all that  - 
why we couldn't just eat
chips all the time and forget
all that crud about meal
preparation and recipes 
and all that stuff. I've 
never been a food guy, 
in fact, I detest eating.
It all gets wasted on me,
which is too bad, because
she really and truly enjoys
savoring tastes and textures
and flavors. We're quite
mis-matched. To me, any
expenditure of time or 
effort in food preparation 
isn't really defensible. Which
is a problem, because I also
refuse to eat food prepared
by 'commerce.' Food for
profit enrages me. You
simply know that after
maybe one week of their
best, most-pretentious
effort, any restaurant in
the world begins skimping 
where they can so as to
advance the bottom line.
Commercial food, and 
fast food, I consider as 
government poison  -  a 
spectacular effort underway
by a business and government
combine to poison and destroy
the populace with fats and 
greases and oils and unholy 
combinations of additives, 
growth hormones, filth 
and slop. Let alone the
pity due to the animal
kingdom for what is done
to it so humans can fart.
Anyway, I asked why 'they'
(whoever they would end up
being, probably the people
who poison us slowly 
anyway) couldn't just take
those ingredients 'good' for
and turn them into chips.
In the next few days I got
my answer, in the form of
chips she started buying :
vegetable chips, grouped
or singly by vegetable.
I kind of liked them all,
but I do guess it would get
boring, and salty too. But,
still, it's an option?
-
This happened to me twice 
before too  -  in the early 
80's I critiqued a food a
bit too hard and blurted
out, 'I don't know why you
go through all this trouble.
I could survive just as well
on Dinty Moore.' Uh oh!!
That was all I got for about
a month, until I was like 
to gag if I had another. She
won. And it also happened
with cereal. Bad move. So,
I do reluctantly eat, small
doses, an she's my dietitian,
strictly. Me and food just
never cared too much for
each other.
I remember, in Avenel, which
through my early days had
been, if anything at all, a diner
town - a highway stop with a
few diners (mostly it always
seemed for already-fat people,
who, I thought, could as easily
for sure skipped the stop if
they had any will-power. 
Eating is all habit anyway). 
It's certainly not necessary 
every day, MOST certainly 
not three times a day, and
whatever or whoever came
up with all that crap about
three balanced meals and the
(changeable) food pyramid,
was full of it, and was probably
calorie-fat too. Easily, eating
can be frugally done as an
every-other-day rigor, but no
one owns up to that because
of addiction. The rest is the
propaganda of those poisoning 
you, who, of course, stand to
gain....ANYWAY, as I was
starting to say, I remember
how startled I was the first
time a national-name food
eatery hit town. Of course,
there had been Howard 
Johnson's, for years, where
the Cadillac dealer is now, and
across the highway from that,
Stanley's Diner, which was
truly local. Howard Johnson's
was not, though the local
family franchising it, Peter
Cetera, as I recall, was. It
wasn't until later that there
was a Chock Full O'Nuts
on Route One, 50 yards
south of Howard Johnson's,
and then yes, of course, the
swarm of McDonald's hit.
(Actually, it's hard not to 
type that casually and have 
'McDonald's hit' appear to
me as 'McDonald's shit.)' 
But the one, I'd have to say,
that really blew me away,
long about 1978, was when
Denny's moved in, and right
across from St. George Press.
It was all fake and frozen,
crap food, and everyone knew
that, but (to me) the fact
was that the only other times
I'd seen Denny's restaurants
were adjacent to airports and
hotels, and of course all over
California. It was about as
local as International Spit,
but when Denny's came to
Avenel, man what a  wake-up 
that was. I'm not saying it
was good for anyone's health
and well-being, mental or
for dietary reasons, but
there it was.





No comments: