Tuesday, October 16, 2018

11,241. PROFICIENT MEANS ARE THE MAXIMUM MOTIVES

PROFICIENT MEANS ARE 
THE MAXIMUM MOTIVE
They broke the glass and scrawled
a message, and then ran like scrawny
weeds. What else is to be expected?
-
Come sit, and have tea with me. I
am loathsome, I grant you, but by
today's standards  -  really  -  that's
not such a bad thing. Come, and
have tea with me.
-
Do you know how, in the Tempest,
Shakespeare has Ariel in a fix?
Caught between a deal and a bargain;
nowhere to turn but the wild, wild sea?
It's all false, and fake as can be,
Come, have tea with me.
-
Metaphors and allegories, who
cares? Tempests and furies? What's
there?  -  this is all imagined stuff,
a frothy dream like Caliban and his
twenty. Let me take a moment to
reiterate  -  we owe each other 
nothing, (you callous ingrate).
-
Come then, have tea with me and
stop a moment on your way. We
can talk of anything you'd like. 
I can only just now realize I'm a
scholar at heart.  Tea? With me?
-
The 'newspapers and the TV
news are no longer addressed to 
me; shapers of public opinion
look right past people like me. 
And yes I am revolted by all that
I see  -  this 'democratic' air, the
'rabblement' of Joyce, the paper
tigers of the dead and dying.'
-
'A foolish race, and with so little
to say. I hunger in vain for a
running conversation, about books,
religion, ideas, politics...No one 
wants a serious engagement; its 
all money, toys, debt, and movies:
The polished erudition of a monkey.'
-
Come, have tea with me, and we
can talk of other things.

No comments: